Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canvas on gatorboard or sintra - what hardware?  (Read 1422 times)

mosleyh

Canvas on gatorboard or sintra - what hardware?
« on: August 06, 2012, 05:27:54 pm »

I've seen a number of posts here about mounting canvas to gatorboard, etc. with Miracle Muck, which sounds like a great method.

I'm about to order some "muck" and give it a try but was wondering - what hanging hardware everyone is using on the finished product and how is it attached?

biedron1

Re: Canvas on gatorboard or sintra - what hardware?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 06:32:44 pm »

Using a Forstner bit (5/8" dia., but that is not critical) in a drill press I drill 4 holes roughly 2/3 of the way through the board. 4 holes means I can use the board either vertically or horizontally (I make a bunch of boards up "production style" in one session). 2 straight pins or small nails in the wallboard is all it takes to hang it, and it sits flush against the wall.

Bob

biedron1

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 06:34:45 pm »

I guess I should add that I do this for 3/4" thick Gatorboard; I think Sintra is typically much thinner (?) so drilling is probably not an option there.

Bob

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 07:41:37 pm »

For all the gator/canvas I work with, I always put it in a finished frame.  3/16 and 1/2 will easily fit in most frames.  
It's easy to secure, just use standard framers points.  Gives the piece a nice final look.

I don't like to have the piece showing the actual gator edges, even if if it's black gator.  The white edges of the canvas
show when you cut, so if you don't use a frame, you will need to consider using a market on the edges.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up