Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4900 crumpling end of cut sheets  (Read 1539 times)

TX_Mountain_Printer

Epson 4900 crumpling end of cut sheets
« on: August 06, 2012, 07:07:02 am »

Sorry if this is a newbie question but I've had a 4900 for about a year now and this is the first time I've run into this problem.  Been working on a print for a local artist and, after a number of proofs, etc., I'm finally ready to do a run of his prints.  We settled on Moab Entrada Rag Natural 300 and I've had no problem running this paper through the printer .. until now.  Suddenly, after more than a few successful 17x22 sheets having been run through in the proofing process, the printer is now crumpling the trailing corners of each sheet I try to put through.  I noticed that it appears to running the print head back and forth even after it's well past the point of printing any image .. I don't think it was doing that before when it was printing w/o the crumpled corners.  I haven't changed any printer settings .. it just seems to have started doing this on it's own.  I need to get this run started but I can't if it's going to crumple the corners of each sheet.  Any suggestions?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Epson 4900 crumpling end of cut sheets
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 08:03:41 am »

Have you called Epson Pro-Graphics Tech support for the 4900 and discussed it with them? They often have useful advice.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 08:11:38 am »

Check the paper to make sure that there is no curl at all in the trailing corners and it may also be that the platen gap is too narrow.  If there does appear to be some curl, you can uncurl prior to printing by gently rolling the corners with print side up on a paper towel tube or something like that.  From my experience with matte papers, prolonged storage leads to marked curl with a lot of them.  About the only one that I have not seen curl is Museo Portfolio Rag other wise I have to decurl corners.  I know with my 3880, the print head continues to run after the image is printed (I usually leave 1 inch margins) and I suspect it would be the same for the 4990.  Of course with a 4990 you could always switch to roll paper and this would not be a problem.

Alan

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 02:34:32 pm »

I noticed that it appears to running the print head back and forth even after it's well past the point of printing any image .. I don't think it was doing that before when it was printing w/o the crumpled corners. 
certainly an odd behavior.  What OS?  (this is something you might see on a Mac using a version 4 profile)

TX_Mountain_Printer

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 05:20:13 pm »

certainly an odd behavior.  What OS?  (this is something you might see on a Mac using a version 4 profile)

Using Mac OS 10.6.8.  Not sure which version profile I'm using .. not sure how to check that.

Yes, I know .. I'm a noob.  A noob with a 4900?  Yes, at the time I bought it, with the discounts and free shipping Adorama was offering, it was actually only about $100 more than a 3880.  At the time, there was a large demand for a couple of pics I'd recently taken and the printer paid for itself quickly.  I learned enough to do a good job with my prints but there are some things that remain a mystery to me (like how to figure out what profile version I'm using!)

TX_Mountain_Printer

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 05:26:42 pm »

Check the paper to make sure that there is no curl at all in the trailing corners and it may also be that the platen gap is too narrow.  If there does appear to be some curl, you can uncurl prior to printing by gently rolling the corners with print side up on a paper towel tube or something like that.  From my experience with matte papers, prolonged storage leads to marked curl with a lot of them.  About the only one that I have not seen curl is Museo Portfolio Rag other wise I have to decurl corners.  I know with my 3880, the print head continues to run after the image is printed (I usually leave 1 inch margins) and I suspect it would be the same for the 4990.  Of course with a 4990 you could always switch to roll paper and this would not be a problem.

Alan

Thanks, Alan .. yeah, I know the print head continued to run a bit after the image but, thanks to the little window in the 4900 where one can see the print head laying down the image, I could tell that it was continuing to run even after the paper had left the rollers.  Very strange.

I'd checked for curl but I had just recently purchased this paper so it's not like it's been sitting around for a while.  I'd suggested a paper that I knew I could get in a roll but the artist I'm printing for preferred to use the Moab as he (and his customers, I guess) are used to using that paper.

-- Frank

TX_Mountain_Printer

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 05:35:48 pm »

Sorry if this is a newbie question but I've had a 4900 for about a year now and this is the first time I've run into this problem.  Been working on a print for a local artist and, after a number of proofs, etc., I'm finally ready to do a run of his prints.  We settled on Moab Entrada Rag Natural 300 and I've had no problem running this paper through the printer .. until now.  Suddenly, after more than a few successful 17x22 sheets having been run through in the proofing process, the printer is now crumpling the trailing corners of each sheet I try to put through.  I noticed that it appears to running the print head back and forth even after it's well past the point of printing any image .. I don't think it was doing that before when it was printing w/o the crumpled corners.  I haven't changed any printer settings .. it just seems to have started doing this on it's own.  I need to get this run started but I can't if it's going to crumple the corners of each sheet.  Any suggestions?

Well .. this is odd.  The problem seems to have gone away.  I did change one setting .. I clicked on "High Speed" in the "Printer Settings" dialogue.  I'm not sure if that was what made a difference but it's now printed 5 17x22 prints w/o any problems.  The print head also parks itself BEFORE the paper leaves the rollers which it wasn't doing before.  I've not tried clicking off the "High Speed" setting .. at ~ $4/sheet, I think I'll wait until I'm done with this project and use some less expensive paper to test that.

-- Frank

Nora_nor

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 01:55:18 pm »

my printer did the same thing with heavy paper, first it wanted them fed manually, and then there were head strikes just at the end like that.

Some suggested to choose platen gap wider

Maybe I can try the high speed trick
Pages: [1]   Go Up