Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moonrise near my home  (Read 1595 times)

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Moonrise near my home
« on: August 06, 2012, 04:29:31 am »

This is Carcavelos beach, a couple of minutes walk from my home. The day before I had checked the timing of the moonrise, so that I could be there and take a photo. I thought of taking my DSLR, but my daughter wanted to go and launch her kyte, so I just took my recently purchased Sony RX100. Wonderful little camera. Shot in RAW, used Sony's IDC to convert to TIF and finished in Lightroom 4.

Kind regards.

Tony Jay

Re: Moonrise near my home
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 09:28:55 am »

Paulo, this is a good record shot IMHO.

I looked at it for some time but nothing about the composition or its elements really ever grabbed me.
Perhaps this is really just a style preference on my part, but, title notwithstanding, this image doesn't seem to have an obvious subject just seemingly disconnected elements.
I am sure that not everyone will agree with me. It will be interesting to see.

Regards

Tony Jay

francois

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 09:59:41 am »

I mostly agree with Tony's comments, above. Remove the full moon from the image there's not enough for an outstanding image, in my opinion.
Francois

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 12:06:16 pm »

I agree that this is somewhat lacking a focal point, but a more aggressive crop and some enhancement of the contrast helps a bit, in my opinion.

Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 04:30:47 am »

Thanks for all the comments, indeed this shot is nothing special. As I said in my post, the objective was to "record" the moment, while spending some time with my daughter playing with her kite. If I were to get a more "serious" photograph, I would have taken my DSLR, tripod, and filters.

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 02:22:21 am »

Hi Paulo,
I think you have raised here a couple of very interesting points through posting your image. Thank you. Firstly about photography and its different purposes.  .. and secondly about how we review our own work.

Most photography is about 'recording' the moment...but perhaps for different purposes. I myself have terabytes of happy snaps, which I love and provide a record of my travels and experiences; and I also have to experiment and explore different ideas I have...... as well as terabytes of 'serious' photographs - most of which should be in the recycle bin..because they just don't posess the elements and qualities which stand the test of time and still make me pause... make me take notice... stop me in my tracks.  

All of these images though for me are about experiencing my life and for me ...without sounding cliched, for me is truly about the process rather than the outcome... although the outcome is rather wonderful when it stops me in my tracks!

This image - as you have said is "recording a moment" of a special time sharing with your daughter..and a significant part of that experience was the presence of the moon and the moonlight and the feeling you had at that time. This for you holds a memory which you can associate with. This memory of an event/experience/location is often what gets in the way of one's objective review of one's own images. Even achieving something which one hasn't been able to do before sometimes clouds the actual outcome. I remember the first time I managed to photograph the moon. I was sooooo excited I actually managed to get the correct exposure...and thought it was a wonderful image. Looking back at it now I have a little giggle to myself, because it is truly crap.... but hey... I was excited at the time - and that is all that matters.

I actually really like your image Paulo... not because of the composition or the technical nature of it... but because I recall how excited I was when I took my first similar image... and how proud I was, and connected with how you must have felt with this capture.

Thank you
Julie

« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 02:24:53 am by jule »
Pages: [1]   Go Up