Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS6 from LR4 merge to panorama issues.  (Read 8642 times)

designpartners

• Design Partners
CS6 from LR4 merge to panorama issues.
« on: August 05, 2012, 04:35:31 pm »

Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble successfully merging a 10 shot pano in CS6.  it works, but there are some small misalignment errors.

I remember seeing in a blog over the last few months, something along the lines of "what do do when auto align doesn't work". I've been looking for it but no joy yet...

so, after the images have been aligned in PS, and each image in on a layer, and it's gone through it's blending etc.. is there a way to fix small issues, slight re-positions for example?

Thanks in advance :)

James

kirkt

Re: CS6 from LR4 merge to panorama issues.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 05:21:11 pm »

Are all 10 shots necessary to cover the FOV, or can you eliminate a few and still get sufficient overlap?  Sometimes too much overlap can cause small alignment issues.  When PS spits out a panoramic image, it does so in layers, with layer masks - you may be able to paint into the layer masks at the blending edges and use some warping, liquify, puppet warp or other displacement tools to make small local changes in alignment that painting new blending boundaries may not accomplish.

Unfortunately, PS does not offer much control during photomerge.  Do you get any better results when you change the projection or check/uncheck geometric distortion correction?

good luck,

kirk

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 10:01:39 pm »

While the Photomerge function in PsCS6 is much improved over earlier versions I still rely on PTGUI Pro.  I don't output the stitched panoramic as a flattened version, but as layered plus flattened document and  as needed edit individual layer masks to resolve the stitching glitches. The flattened + layered document can be quite large ( you may want it to be in the  PSB instead of the TIFF format). The process requires concentration and working out a strategy but it works like a charm.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:02:04 am by Ellis Vener »

designpartners

• Design Partners
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 03:42:49 pm »

Do you get any better results when you change the projection or check/uncheck geometric distortion correction?

Thanks for the info Kirk, I eliminated one of the images and turned on Geometric distortion correction and it certainly worked a lot better!
here's a preview. not the best image in the world and it's only a quick BW conversion (obvious halos around building etc) but what an amazing place! "Ciudad De Las Artes Y Las Ciencias" or the "City of Arts and Sciences" in Vanencia Spain.

and here's another. "El Museo do las Ciencias Principe Filipe"

There is a lot of distortion on this one, especially in the bridge area of the photo. I've processed it a few different ways, but this is the best I can achieve. Some local warping/liquefy might help but I'm not sure it's worth the effort in this case. The sky is a little funny also.

good images to test however - a lot of clean architectural lines to match up.

Ellis, Thanks for the info on PTGUI - I'm going to check it out at the weekend and see how it works!  I might be back with any problems if that's ok?

Cheers for the help!

James

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 10:02:45 am »

that would be fine.

kirkt

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 02:46:50 pm »

You will get much more control with PTGui - there is a learning curve though, so don't get discouraged.

Kirk

designpartners

• Design Partners
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 04:05:36 pm »

first attempt from PTGUI

I like the software - no real tweaking, just followed the basic steps but I can see a lot of potential there! :)
quick B+W conversion again.. processed it differently, so the exposure differences are not from the pano stitch.

I'll be back when I hit the inevitable problems :)

thanks for your advice and help

James
Pages: [1]   Go Up