Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR4: Soft proofing with watermark?  (Read 2472 times)

dreed

LR4: Soft proofing with watermark?
« on: August 04, 2012, 10:16:34 pm »

Is there a way to get soft proofing to include a watermark?

Tony Jay

Re: LR4: Soft proofing with watermark?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 10:58:30 pm »

I am not aware of an option apart from exporting an image with the watermark and re-importing.

Possibly the reason behind your question may shed more light on the issue.

Regards

Tony Jay

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 01:02:55 am »

Tony's right - in Lightroom watermarks are only used on output modules - slideshows, prints (incl. print to .jpg), file export, web galleries...  All of these require rendering the original image in some way.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

dreed

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 01:59:52 am »

The reason behind my question is that I want to put a watermark in an image but getting the watermark right is bordering on being so time consuming as to not be worth it.

Everything else in Lightroom happens in real time, why can't watermarks be included in that?

I'll add that "Edit Watermarks" is mis-named. It should be "Add another watermark" as it is impossible to save a watermark over an existing name. I can see myself going through about 20 different watermark names before I get to where I want to be :-/

In terms of soft proofing, what's the point of generating a "proof" that excludes the watermark?

If we care enough to soft proof an image then surely it stands to reason that we'd want to include the watermark in that validation step.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 04:13:37 am »

In terms of soft proofing, what's the point of generating a "proof" that excludes the watermark?

Uh, I think you completely misunderstand the concept of soft proofing...soft proofing doesn't actually produce an exported file only a prediction of what an output would look like, so why would you care about having a watermark? Soft proofing is only done in the Develop module...you only need a watermark on an output file...

dreed

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 09:49:27 am »

Uh, I think you completely misunderstand the concept of soft proofing...soft proofing doesn't actually produce an exported file only a prediction of what an output would look like, so why would you care about having a watermark? Soft proofing is only done in the Develop module...you only need a watermark on an output file...

Why isn't a watermark considered part of the output?
Or rather, why shouldn't the watermark be considered as part of the predicted output?

Why do I care?
Well it seemed like the easiest way to put your name in a corner of the picture and with that approach (rather than putting it in the middle of it in a font that measures one third of the image height) it is just as essential to make it observable as not obnoxious.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 02:04:54 pm »

Because it's not a raw image being adjusted in the Develop module...

Watermarks have no place in the Develop module.

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 07:11:24 pm »

Dreed,  I have to laugh because I have been going thru the same thing as you today.  What I found is that its easiest to work the watermark from within the Print module.  Also, like you, I found it very cumbersome to save changes but there is a way! 

Open your image in the print module.  Go to Edit/Watermark. The Watermark dialog opens.  On the upper left corner, your saved Marks are displayed.  Choose the one you want to edit.  After you make your changes, DO NOT click save.  Instead, go back to the drop down list where your original saved Mark was selected.  Left click on it.  You will get a bunch of options.  On is UPDATE WATERMARK or something similar.  You dont even have to open the save dialog.  In fact, the way it presents is kind of confusing.  If the save dialog opens, click cancel because you are not in the right place to "update".   am not at my photo computer.  If this does not work, post and I'll look after these storms blow by.

Paul 

dreed

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 09:53:44 am »

Quote from: dreed
Because it's not a raw image being adjusted in the Develop module...

Watermarks have no place in the Develop module.

Ok, I can accept that.

Perhaps what I'm suggesting (or saying) is that the manner in which watermarks are created and edited needs some further work. Where it is done, be it in Print or Web or elsewhere, is not important. What is important is being able to see how different colour/opacity/etc watermarks work with an image/image set. I suppose the other alternative is to just load it up into Photoshop and do it there.

Derry

• http://
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 02:38:03 pm »

I was a tad frustrated with the water mark adjusting as well and found the same process as Paul above for my changes,, is now quick and easy,,

Derry
Pages: [1]   Go Up