Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Film Camera Must or Worth to Keep Besides MFDB or digital FF, if any  (Read 7535 times)

EinstStein

Is there any film camera you still must keep or worth to keep, even with your MFDB or full frame digitals?
Name the top one, if any.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: Film Camera Must or Worth to Keep Besides MFDB or digital FF, if any
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 08:44:57 pm »

Fuji or Linhof 6x17 - for action or aerial shots where stitching would be impractical
Seitz Roundshot Super 220 or 35mm - for extremely wide panos or for scenes with varying light

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 09:23:03 pm »

Just sold my Pentax 67. It was hard to part with but losing value to quickly to hold any longer.

EinstStein

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 11:36:21 pm »

I have Hasselblad Xpan and Fujifilm GX680 in my mind.
Xpan is along the line of the 617. Xpan's IQ is not as good, but much more portable. No digital match them yet. Not with any stitching. Not for anything alive at least.
I like GX680's T&S. It's convenience compare to LF or things like flexbody/Arcbody/Silvestri is uncomparable. Alas it's terribly clumsy to carry.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 12:18:43 am »

All my digital MF also shoot film and I like and use that option to swap out the digital back for film on occasion.  I also use and would not give up my 2.8F TLR.   
Rolleiflex USA

DanielStone

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 01:37:38 am »

1.My Hasselblad H2 kit
gosh I love that camera.... I only have the 80mm lens, but if I "need" another lens, I can just rent it. Saves buying it...
I use it with film only right now, but drum scanning it, I have no issue scanning to make a 30x40" file @ 300dpi, no problem... And that's w/ 400 speed films :)

2. Nikon F5
I keep it with my D3 in the 35mm case, with 4-5 rolls of E100G, just in case something screams "shoot film!!!". I still love the feel of getting chromes back @ my local lab( www.data-chrome.com)... Rochelle Burch(owner/operator of Datachrome) is one of the best when it comes to E-6 processing. That's all she does. And she's here in Santa Ana(southern California).

3. Fuji GW670III 120/220 rangefinder
Another "godly" camera IMO. Stupid-sharp lens(fixed 90mm), and I've scanned 6x7 chromes to make 40x50" files, and they hold together very well. I stopped shooting 4x5 after getting this and comparing it.

4. 8X10 Kodak Master View(KMV)
With a nice set of Dagor's and Red Dot Artar's, its just a fun tool to use. And looking @ that GLORIOUS 8x10" ground glass is such a sight to behold :). For a 50yo+ camera(lenses are all around the same vintage too, 50's-60's era). They're all bloody sharp, and TO ME, an 8x10 contact print(B/W) is still a thing of beauty NO EPSON/CANON/OTHER inkjet printer can match, IMO... For color(chrome + negs), and a good drum scan(my own scanner), I can make 80x100" prints(not that I have, I know I never will, I've done a few 40x50's, and they looked AMAZING!!!) that will hold so much detail, its scary.... IQ180.... Pshhh ;).... 8x10 is still the king. That's why some product guys in NYC are still shooting 8x10 for their work, it just holds more information....

-Dan

FredBGG

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 03:04:12 am »

Fuji GX680 Cross between a MF single lens reflex and a large format camera.
6x8 negative. 50mm to 500mm all tilt shift lenses. Best viewfinders in MF.

Toyo 8x10 with Schneider 480mm f8.4. Nothing else has the look of this big old fellow.
8x10 inch capture area and brilliant lens.

A couple of examples.....

Fuji gx680

8x10 toyo/schnieder polaroid

Digital is great, but there is nothing like a good piece of film.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 03:49:43 am »

Only one I have left now is a Nikon F3 that I bought to replace my F4s which I disliked very strongly; I wish I'd kept one of my 'blad 500 series, but there you go -  mid-life crisis can disorientate your mind - in fact I can't say I have anywhere near the affection for anything digital that I used to hold for Nikon and 'blad. If you read the thread on Nadav Kander over on Coffee Corner you'll discover that he, too, has that feeling about hardware.

I've sometimes tried to figure out just what it is that makes it so, and perhaps it comes down to the act of loading a film camera - you somehow turn it into a thing waiting to strike; you seem to turn it into something live. A digital camera never feels lke that.

Rob C

EinstStein

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 12:48:59 am »

I don't think your pictures convence me the camera. It's obvious you.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 03:25:47 am »

Still have 2 only because they are worth little and some sentimental attachment. My rz67 system and my Pentax 67. Neither have seen a roll of film in over a decade. 

DaveL

• http://
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 12:09:01 pm »

Only one I have left now is a Nikon F3 that I bought to replace my F4s which I disliked very strongly; ....Rob C

Film: never regretted buying quality. It was an investment.

Digital: every new release has me questioning whether it's time to change brands, and whether I made the right decision. It's an expense.
DaveL
Toronto

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 01:06:48 pm »

Film: never regretted buying quality. It was an investment.

Digital: every new release has me questioning whether it's time to change brands, and whether I made the right decision. It's an expense.
DaveL
Toronto

Yes, and I think it's part of the early digital gold-rush (we are now in) and until the science plateaus out as it eventually did with film, we shall be bearing the substantial costs in terms of both cash and hardware redundancy.

There's no doubt that buying the best film cameras of the day did me no harm whatsoever: they suppoprted what I wanted to do; they were pretty dependable and they had the bonus value of allowing the clients who were aware of such things to see that I was serious about my business. Spending high was fine when things lasted.

Rob C

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 09:28:07 pm »

Very wise words Sensei.
Eduardo

Spending high was fine when things lasted.

Rob C
[/quote]

EinstStein

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 03:12:56 am »

>> Spending high was fine when things lasted.

Hmm, sounds like talking about my wife's 2mm "lens'. ... with finger mount. 

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 03:47:03 am »

>> Spending high was fine when things lasted.

Hmm, sounds like talking about my wife's 2mm "lens'. ... with finger mount. 

Quite,  but hers will last!

Rob C

EinstStein

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 02:48:12 am »

Did i tell you, my wife's 2mm lens is actually very sharp. It can make any glass, any brand, looks ugly.
The type is very popular, you  can find it in any wedding event!

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 03:35:55 am »

Did i tell you, my wife's 2mm lens is actually very sharp. It can make any glass, any brand, looks ugly.
The type is very popular, you  can find it in any wedding event!

Like much good 'glass' it's better when it's flawless, hand-ground and highly polished. Also, it is very unusual to find it with any sort of coating at all; reflection and refraction are all virtues. It's also strange the lengths some people - usually ladies - will go to in order to acquire some samples of the range. Leica, eat your heart out.

Rob C

Pingang

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2012, 11:58:41 am »

The only thing made sense would be the one independent from need of batteries, and in this case that such camera is compatible with digital and in reasonable package would be the Hasselblad V system.
I keep my 500CM although it is not in use for like 5 years!

Pingang

Is there any film camera you still must keep or worth to keep, even with your MFDB or full frame digitals?
Name the top one, if any.

EinstStein

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2012, 01:29:11 pm »

>> The only thing made sense would be the one independent from need of batteries,

Now I see where you are coming from, you have a Contax 645! Yes, the battery issue is burning.

Pingang

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2012, 05:24:33 pm »

In fact Contax 645AF can be very close, with vertical grip, it takes most common rechargeable cells, and the ability to activate AF from the custom button to save power to help it last longer, I was not very worry about its power consumption back in the time I was using it as my prime system - before switching to H.

Pingang

>> The only thing made sense would be the one independent from need of batteries,

Now I see where you are coming from, you have a Contax 645! Yes, the battery issue is burning.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up