Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does this work for anyone?  (Read 880 times)

douvidl

Does this work for anyone?
« on: August 04, 2012, 01:30:30 pm »

I've tried to create an image that has ok composition, but also leaves the viewer a little unsettled, a little tense.
C & C please, but gently
David

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: Does this work for anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 02:21:07 pm »

Sorry, it doesn't engage me in any way.  But I have never much cared for found imagery.  It's just too random for me.  And the Photoshop filter stuff is just noise, it doesn't accomplish anything here.  But you get points for trying.   :)  I seem to recall making such images myself back in the days when KP Filters were popular.  One of the biggest traps in those endeavors is thinking that using filter effects will add interest to a weak concept, when in fact it just confuses things.

I have seen some very successful images in this general ballpark by people like Jerry Uelsmann.  The best of them work very well because the author went from a design concept to carefully choosing, or even specifically shooting, imagery to support the concept in a way that results in a very cohesive look.  Like most good photography, a lot of work is involved.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 03:17:13 pm »

Sorry, no engagement here either.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 04:36:21 pm »

+1
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 05:58:32 am »

Hi David, I will be gentle as requested. I love the way you have had the courage to experiment and have a go at doing something really 'out there'. I am a very strong advocate to that exploration! Sometimes it works... sometimes it doesn't. For me... this one doesn't quite work.. and I will share with you some of my thoughts.

First thing... I actually don't think the composition is really ok. There is just so much going on..and lines and shapes all over the place, there isn't a sense of balance or flow anywhere. Lines are like fences and divide images; or like piers and hold images. If you observe where the lines are in your image you can see that the strongest lines don't really create a supporting frame for the image and they tend to cut off sections ... about which there is no symmetry. The lines to which i am referring are the horizontal frond stem about half way up...and the diagonal line crossing through the lady. Triangulating lines in corners often have the effect of truncating corners ..and in this case the lines in my opinion don't serve any purpose - except to sever the image in an unbalanced way.

I can see you have used the 101 of composition and used 3 elements in a triangle... the lady and the 2 other figures... but it just looks way too forced to flow.

Secondly...there is just SO MUCH happening... it seems to me just to be all over the place, and I ask myself .."What on earth is going on here?" When I can't answer the question, I will spend a bit more time because it is possible I haven't 'got' something and want to give myself an opportunity for something to present itself in my mind.... but for me here there just seems to be so many elements which haven't quite moved into the realm of surreal... that I just 'don't buy it'...

I really like the way you have tension between the different planes.... with the depth given through looking into the darker areas of the forest and the flat foreground plane of the figures.

I really love the way you have tried something new David... and I would like to ask you whether YOU think it works for YOU? If you are unsure about it for yourself... ask yourself what you are unsure about. Examine all the elements.... quality of light, composition, colour, ....perhaps do a line sketch of the most strong lines/shapes/areas of colour..and that will reveal to you the structure of the image..which may reveal to you why it isn't perhaps 'working'.

If on the other hand you LOVE it and it works for you - (and you were just testing the field here with all of us)... discard everything I have said... because what you think is ultimately ALL that matters. :-)

Julie

edited - typo
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 07:45:10 am by jule »

amolitor

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 06:20:33 am »

It's quite unsettling! As noted, it's extremely busy, to the pointed of chaos, but I think that plays pretty well in to "unsettling". I lack a sense of depth in front of the girl, I want to feel like she's entering supernatural world, but that world feels like it stops immediately in front of her, and I want to feel that it goes on to infinity.

Possibly it's because I've been spending some time with Wingrand, but I wish the lower left figure's eye line was more directly on the girl. I think it would give it more punch if it was clear that the other figures were utterly intent on the girl. You could get something of the same effect with selective lightening and darkening, or probably 1000 other approaches.

Figures intent on the girl is, I think, your idea? If it's  not, forget it, and try to emphasize YOUR idea, instead ;)

graeme

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 06:34:38 am »

Hi David

My personal take on your image: As a photograph ( or artwork ) in itself I don't engage with it that much but as an illustration or piece of artwork that could be used as part of another project I think it has potential and is of interest. ( I'm imagining it on an album cover or gig poster for the early Red Hot Chili Peppers ).

It's certainly atmospheric and I've spent more time looking at it than I would most images on the web.

Keep exploring....

Graeme
Pages: [1]   Go Up