Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Espson 3880 and setting up and printing custom sizes  (Read 2206 times)

douvidl

Re: Espson 3880 and setting up and printing custom sizes
« on: August 03, 2012, 03:51:09 pm »

I have been trying, unsuccessfully to print on a custom size piece of canvas.  For example, I've set up the custom size in the print driver, selected the rear feeder.  I've cut a piece of canvas matching the custom size.  I find that each time I print, the image does not fill the canvas either on one size or the other or on all.  I've rechecked all the obvious variables. To no avail.  Can anyone suggest something I've missed.  (This only occurs using custom sizes.)
Thanks.  It's costing me a lot with a lack of success.
David

Randy Carone

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 04:09:17 pm »

Make certain that your image fits within the minimum borders of your custom sheet, assuming you are not printing BorderFree. What is the custom size. If it is a size that can be printed BorderFree, put white space around your image to match the borderless size and print BorderFree. BTW, make your trial prints on cheap paper until you get it to fit your custom size, then use the canvas.
Randy Carone

douvidl

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 06:11:09 pm »

Randy.
My image size, say 10in x 10 is equal to the canvas.  I think I am loosing your point.  What does BoarderFree have to do with  it. I thought the custom size that I set up does not specific or choose or select boarderFree or boarderless? I don't understand the reference to white space around the image. 
I am using 8/5 x 11 proofing paper.
David

AFairley

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 06:29:20 pm »

Randy knows more about this than me, but as I understand it, if you define a paper size, that size must still have the Epson minimum margins on each side, so you cannot cover the whole media area unless you select borderless printing.  But borderless printing always sizes the image as it will print to a little larger than the actual media size and overprints to make sure you get full bleed on the medium.  Therefore to get the full image to priint in borderless printing, you have to add a white border to your image so that when the driver sizes it up, the actual image will match the actual media size and only the white border will be overprinted.

douvidl

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 10:19:56 am »

Thanks A.
I think I'm beginning to understand.
David

Randy Carone

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 12:04:00 pm »

David,

What size are you attempting to print (image and media size)? This will help us to give you specific advice on how to center your image on the specific substrate. There are minimum margins unless you can send the job as borderless, even if you have white space around your image.
Randy Carone

douvidl

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 05:43:20 pm »

Randy;
The image size is 10'' x 10''.  The canvas was cut to 10'' x10''.  I wanted to mount the finished canvas on the gecko bd (don't remember the name), that I cut to 10'' x 10''.  The print on the canvas was all skewed and with/without quarter inch margins.
  I  Appreciate the help.
David

douvidl

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 07:42:05 pm »

Randy.
Will you be able to help?  I've set the custom size to 12 x 12" and set the 3880 epson margins.  Now, do I or do I not add a boarder to the image?  If so, how much?  Should the boarder be the same size as the margins? When the boarder is added, the image is bigger by the size of the boarder.  Should I be concerned.? Lastly I need to set the rear feeder for canvas,  the sheet feeder for gloss and the front feeder for media larger than canvas. AM I using the right terminology?
Thanks in advance for your help.
David

Randy Carone

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 08:48:42 am »

My suggestion to add a border of white space around your image only works if you are printing one of the BorderFree sizes that the 3880 can print (4x6, 5x7, 8x10, 11x14, 13x19 and 17x22) If your image is 10x10 and your media size is 12x12, I'd print your 10x10 on a scrap sheet that is 12x12. Then see what margins are not correct. Add a cooresponding amount of white space to the other end of your image and it may move the image to your desired position. I am not able to try this possible solution right now but it may prove to be a workaround.
Randy Carone

douvidl

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 11:38:50 am »

AFairley
I did what you suggested.  Created a custom size, 8x8, with the 3880 margins of .12".  Then I enlarged the canvas by .25" all around. Pushed /and didn't push the "scale to media" button and I got an image with a .25" uneven  margin all around. 

Previously I tried just to increase the size of the image by .25".  I've not been able to get a boarderless print. 

Lastly I printed a 7 x 7 image on an 8.5x 8.5 media, pushed the "scale" button, and got a uneven boarder on all sides ranging from 1/4 to 1/2".

Lastly, lastly, I created a custom size w/o margins and an image with a .25"margin and got an uneven boarder w/wo pushing the "scale" button.

So my conclusion is no boarderless printing for custom sizes.

But the most acceptable for custom sizes with even boarders  is to enlarge the canvas by .25" with the custom size, and NOT push the "scale to media" button.

Thanks to you and Randy for the suggestions.
David -
Pages: [1]   Go Up