Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: White Grass  (Read 1684 times)

David Jilek

White Grass
« on: August 02, 2012, 08:28:54 pm »

First post so here we go...Thoughts?

graeme

Re: White Grass
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 08:38:15 pm »

Love it.

How big are you going to print it? ( An irritating question I always ask which no one ever answers ).

Graeme

Tony Jay

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 08:38:17 pm »

Welcome to the forum David.
I hope your association with the forum is a fruitful one for you.

This image has a lot to be commended.
The square crop gives the composition a lot of strength.
The sky is very dramatic and it is this that makes the image.
I think some may question the post-processing giving the the sky the contrasting elements shown however one probably needed to be there to appreciate what the sky really looked and hence the interpretation.

As a first post on the forum - an excellent effort.

Well done

Tony Jay

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 09:16:45 pm »

An exciting image -- one of the most difficult goals of landscape photography. All the important horizontal lines are alive with interest from the static trees (well defined) on the horizon, the subtle shifting lines of the fence, then the undulating and alternating grass lines. And topping it all off is the roiling sky diagonals signaling what may soon be a violent storm. Plus a perfect crop and great detail in the foreground! Looking forward to many more quality images. Well done.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 01:30:36 am »

some may question the post-processing giving the the sky the contrasting elements shown

+1.
Overall a strong image. Those toothy trees really add to it.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 02:49:12 am »

Hi David, and welcome to the list!  A fine effort, although I agree it's one of those images that really needs to be printed large to be appreciated.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 07:14:12 am »

Hi David. This image has many really interesting elements. My first sense is the fluidity of the image as indicated by the various horizontal lines. I would experiment with darkening an area of cloud right in the middle along a natural cloud line horizontally - just above the little dark cloud on the right... just to continue the repetition of the horizontal fluidity feeling through that large void of bright light cloud....and make that shape of light cloud more in symmetry and of similar size to the white grass in the lower right.

Really like the way the pine trees give texture to the image and also form a division between the texture of the grasses and the clouds.

Seeing this image makes me wish i was sitting in the paddock watching the clouds swirl and perhaps storm around me.:-)

Thank you for posting this image
Julie 

David Jilek

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 07:31:05 am »

When I do print this one I will be going 8x8 or 10x10. Not sure if bigger is better here.
Thanks
David
Pages: [1]   Go Up