Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tether two medium format digital cameras?  (Read 2332 times)

evgeny

Tether two medium format digital cameras?
« on: August 01, 2012, 03:58:23 pm »

Hi,

Before I try, I need to know, is it safe to connect two medium format digital cameras, the H4D-40 and Sinar M, to the Kramer VS30FW 3-Port FireWire-800 Repeater/Hub, which is in turn connected to Macbook Pro?

Will Phocus and CaptureShop simultaneously work with these cameras?

Thanks
Evgeny

design_freak

Re: Tether two medium format digital cameras?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 04:09:13 pm »

If it will work, I will be very surprised  :)  In my opinion this will not work properly.

Check and let me know  ;)

Good luck

Best regards,
DF

Nick-T

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 05:49:12 pm »

I think the only way this word work would be if you had two cameras with two different connections ie one FW and one USB..
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

evgeny

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 07:02:07 pm »

I see. However each camera does need a FireWire connection.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 07:55:44 pm »

Before I try, I need to know, is it safe to connect two medium format digital cameras, the H4D-40 and Sinar M, to the Kramer VS30FW 3-Port FireWire-800 Repeater/Hub, which is in turn connected to Macbook Pro?

Safe? I see no reason why it wouldn't be safe.

Productive/workable? I do NOT know, but I suspect that at best it will not be stable/without-issue and at worst won't connect at all. Please let us know if you do try.

But more to the point: what problem are you solving by going this route? Perhaps you could tell us more about what final-result you are trying to achieve or what problem you are solving and we can suggest alternative methods than to connect two backs to the same computer at the same time.

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 11:47:04 pm »

Interesting.  Are you trying for stereography? Or are you just attempting to connect/daisy chain multiple cameras?

evgeny

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 02:45:07 am »

Sometimes I want 2nd camera for product photography in multi shot mode or at a different angle, or I can give it to a second photographer.

I may also help to compare pictures produces by these cameras with 120mm lenses.

Pingang

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 08:35:18 am »

It would be nice if it does so.  I shoot a job just 2 days ago with C1Pro using Canon 5D3, then when I switch to Nikon D800E the C1Pro would require restart to be able to tether with a new camera, and the capture naming has to be reset. Unless I was missing something, at least for C1Pro it is not yet support.  It would be nice if hey do, or even do it wirelessly, common, it is 2012!

Pingang

May be later days this would be possi
Hi,

Thanks
Evgeny

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 06:23:02 pm »

It would be nice if it does so.  I shoot a job just 2 days ago with C1Pro using Canon 5D3, then when I switch to Nikon D800E the C1Pro would require restart to be able to tether with a new camera, and the capture naming has to be reset. Unless I was missing something, at least for C1Pro it is not yet support.  It would be nice if hey do, or even do it wirelessly, common, it is 2012!

This is unique to Nikon+Canon in Capture One. Nikon's new SDK (updated for the D800) interferes with Canon's SDK. In previous versions of C1 (e.g. 6.4.2) you could connect a 5D2 and a Nikon camera and switch back and forth without restarting.

In Capture One 6.4.3 you can still connect e.g. a Canon and a Phase One back and switch back and forth between them without restarting the software or disconnecting/reconnecting the cameras. You cannot, however, shoot both at the exact same time - you must pull down the camera selector to select Canon or Phase or Mamiya Leaf etc.

This works well for applications like the photographer shooting some safety shots with a Canon and then switching to a Phase back for the real shots (the digi tech or photographer can simply select the other camera). But it would not work for synchronized shooting (e.g. stereoscopic images of a moving subject). For that you'd need to have two different computers - each handling one camera. However, you could set up a relatively easy script to transfer all new captures from the one computer to the other computer, which, in "hot folder" mode would see them (side-by-side with it's own camera's images) a few seconds after the shot was taken.
Pages: [1]   Go Up