Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The best camera is...  (Read 32787 times)

theguywitha645d

Re: The best camera is...
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2012, 04:27:12 pm »

Not crazy about the closed system of the Pentax.

But you are considering the closed system of the S2? Pity, because the 645D sounds like a very good match for what you want to do.

telyt

« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2012, 04:50:55 pm »

But you are considering the closed system of the S2? Pity, because the 645D sounds like a very good match for what you want to do.

Adapters for Hasselblad V, Hasselblad H, Pentax 67, and Mamiya lenses are available for the S2.  The Hasselblad H adapter allows full use of the lens' functions including AF and shutter.  Leica also reverse-engineered profiles for the H lenses for processing software.

A forum with several discussions of non-Leica lenses on the S2 is at http://www.reddotforum.com/forumdisplay.php/5-Alternative-Lenses

Captian Light

• wood
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2012, 04:53:09 pm »

It could be. However, upon reviewing images from various cameras, the photographs coming H3D-39 seem to fit my photographic style the best. It may not be the most weather sealed, but it looks like it can be set up rather quickly to get the shot I need.
When I eat, it's the food that is scared.

Captian Light

• wood
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2012, 04:58:05 pm »

This is exactly what I wish to accomplish with my camera. I think I might go with the H3D-39.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2012, 05:02:43 pm »

Hi,

I actually wrote:
Noise which is related to smoothness and DR depends mostly on the number of photons captured.

So you quote me selectively. There are several factors affecting noise. The major source of noise is shot noise that is coming from the statistical distribution of incident photons. Quantum efficiency does have little to do with noise. If QE is low you can increase exposure to compensate. ETTR, expose to the right.

How many photons a pixel can hold depends mostly on it size. But how many photons a sensor can detect depends on the silicon area. So larger sensors have an advantage, other factors being constant.

DR is a technical term and is essentially FWC (Full Well Capacity) / read noise with both expressed in electrons. Roughly one electron corresponds to one photon.

The Fuji super CCD has some trick using dual sensors.  I imagine that for that to work the highlight sensels must have some kind of grey filter or aperture. Anyway the super CCD is not a mainstream technology now.

The reason that the D7000 has an excellent DR is that it has very little readout noise. That depends on the sensor having a massive array of on chip ADC (Analog to Digital Converters).

If you check DxO-mark you can see that the Nikon D7000 has similar DR to the Phase One IQ180 (albeit at much higher ISO) but the IQ-180 has better tonal range. Tonal range is similar to DR but does not use SNR=1 criteria but a stiffer one.

My guess is that the D7000 sensor has a readout noise of perhaps 2 electrons and the IQ-180 about 12 electrons.

Best regards
Erik

DR depends on many factors.
Sensor size actually does not have that much do do with it.
Sensor efficiency and quality has a lot more to do with it.
How much space there is between photosites... but even that is not always true.
Fuji's super CCD had better dynamic range than anything else for many years and it had large spaces between
photosites, but had a dual array. Photosites for highlights and photosites for shadows and midtones.

Just look at the excellent dynamic range of the D7000 with it's tiny sensor.
D7000 has the same dynamic range as the Phase One IQ180

D800 has better dynamic range than the IQ180, but a sensor half the area size.
Erik Kaffehr

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2012, 05:10:26 pm »

... upon reviewing images from various cameras, the photographs coming H3D-39 seem to fit my photographic style the best...

There are only three cameras in the world that have their own style: Holga, Diana (medium format) and Lomo (35 mm format).

All other cameras are just boxes with one round and one rectangular or square opening, and can not possibly have a style of their own. It is the photographer who might have a style. If one is extremely generous, he might allow that certain lenses (or lens manufacturers) have "style" of their own. But that's it. The rest is photographer's style, either at the moment of capture or in post-processing.

And while we are at it, would you show us some of your photographs that define your style?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2012, 05:17:14 pm »

This is exactly what I wish to accomplish with my camera. I think I might go with the H3D-39.

There is absolutely nothing in that photo that is unique to H3D-39. It could have been shot with a number of other MF cameras, film or digital, with an equivalent focal-lenght lens. That is, if you subscribe to the theory that MF has something "extra" other (smaller) formats do not. If you do not, then the same image could have been taken with several 35 mm cameras with equivalent focal-lenght lenses, especially if we are talking about "style."

telyt

« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2012, 05:22:44 pm »

... upon reviewing images from various cameras, the photographs coming H3D-39 seem to fit my photographic style the best.

Unless web is your intended display medium, don't use web-sized images to make such a costly purchase.  Personal habits and preferences often make one photographer hate one camera while another photographer producing similar images loves how the same camera works.  Ergonomic design, placement of buttons/switches and odd accessories can make or break the usefulness of a camera; try several before committing your $$$$$.  I suspect nearly all the cameras mentioned in this thread can make photos like the ones in the link you provided.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 05:37:44 pm by wildlightphoto »

FredBGG

« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2012, 05:47:29 pm »

Hi,

I actually wrote:
So you quote me selectively. There are several factors affecting noise. The major source of noise is shot noise that is coming from the statistical distribution of incident photons. Quantum efficiency does have little to do with noise. If QE is low you can increase exposure to compensate. ETTR, expose to the right.

How many photons a pixel can hold depends mostly on it size. But how many photons a sensor can detect depends on the silicon area. So larger sensors have an advantage, other factors being constant.

DR is a technical term and is essentially FWC (Full Well Capacity) / read noise with both expressed in electrons. Roughly one electron corresponds to one photon.

The Fuji super CCD has some trick using dual sensors.  I imagine that for that to work the highlight sensels must have some kind of grey filter or aperture. Anyway the super CCD is not a mainstream technology now.

The reason that the D7000 has an excellent DR is that it has very little readout noise. That depends on the sensor having a massive array of on chip ADC (Analog to Digital Converters).

If you check DxO-mark you can see that the Nikon D7000 has similar DR to the Phase One IQ180 (albeit at much higher ISO) but the IQ-180 has better tonal range. Tonal range is similar to DR but does not use SNR=1 criteria but a stiffer one.

My guess is that the D7000 sensor has a readout noise of perhaps 2 electrons and the IQ-180 about 12 electrons.

Best regards
Erik

I quoted you selectively because I was making a point regarding just what I quoted, but let me elaborate.

I am talking about photon to electron conversion.

Take a look at this article. It explains what I am referring to.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/technology/technology/theme/cmos_01.html

theguywitha645d

« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2012, 05:50:48 pm »

Adapters for Hasselblad V, Hasselblad H, Pentax 67, and Mamiya lenses are available for the S2.  The Hasselblad H adapter allows full use of the lens' functions including AF and shutter.  Leica also reverse-engineered profiles for the H lenses for processing software.

A forum with several discussions of non-Leica lenses on the S2 is at http://www.reddotforum.com/forumdisplay.php/5-Alternative-Lenses

So, the Pentax 645D can only use adapted lenses from Hasselblad V, Pentax 67, and Leica Visoflex. The Pentax 67 adapter allows the use of the auto-diaphram. The AF system in the 645D is far superior and is a far more versatile camera with a larger selection of native lenses. It also has a great ISO 1600 and unlimited exposure time. Plus, you can buy two bodies for the price of one S2.

theguywitha645d

« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2012, 05:52:18 pm »

Can't do that with a 645D as there is no 28mm lens available. It does have a 25mm lens that is weatherproof however.

theguywitha645d

« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2012, 05:55:26 pm »

BTW, it the Hasselblad blows your hair back, go for it. It is a fine camera and you will be able to get great images out of it.

telyt

« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2012, 06:14:00 pm »

So, the Pentax 645D can only use adapted lenses from Hasselblad V, Pentax 67, and Leica Visoflex. The Pentax 67 adapter allows the use of the auto-diaphram. The AF system in the 645D is far superior and is a far more versatile camera with a larger selection of native lenses. It also has a great ISO 1600 and unlimited exposure time. Plus, you can buy two bodies for the price of one S2.

I'm not trying to prove one camera is better than the other.  I'm only trying to present some facts.  "Far superior" and "far more versatile" are quite subjective and whether meaningful or not can depend to a very large degree on the photographer's needs.  Can we stick to the facts?  This doesn't need to degenerate into a typical internet pissing match.  I'm pretty sure the OP can look up the prices all by himself.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 06:19:06 pm by wildlightphoto »

Captian Light

• wood
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2012, 06:30:56 pm »

BTW, it the Hasselblad blows your hair back, go for it. It is a fine camera and you will be able to get great images out of it.

You sir, just may be the only sane person in this thread. Thanks for the honest reply.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2012, 06:58:58 pm »

... It is a fine camera and you will be able to get great images out of it.

Two proposed edits to the above and I am 100 % with you (sane or otherwise):

- replace "it" with "any camera under discussion so far"
- replace "will" with "might"

theguywitha645d

« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2012, 07:59:23 pm »

I'm not trying to prove one camera is better than the other.  I'm only trying to present some facts.  "Far superior" and "far more versatile" are quite subjective and whether meaningful or not can depend to a very large degree on the photographer's needs.  Can we stick to the facts?  This doesn't need to degenerate into a typical internet pissing match.  I'm pretty sure the OP can look up the prices all by himself.

I am just messing with you. The S2 is no more an open system than the 645D is. No need to quote my post.

telyt

« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2012, 09:58:19 pm »

I am just messing with you.

I guess LuLa is no better than anywhere else.

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2012, 12:55:15 am »

I have been reading this thread with great interest.  I have flip flopped between thinking that the OP is a legitimate poster with a (to him/her) legitimate question and thinking that the OP is a troll looking to stir the pot then sit back and laugh.  I still am not sure about this.  But, I did think to do an internet search for the word "Captian".  I thought originally that the person had misspelled the word Captain, which would have been evidence supporting the troll theory.  A person who works in "Apples corporate retail sector" would probably not make such an error in spelling.  But, now I know that the word Captian does exist on the www.  From definition-of.net:  Pertaining to one who is supreme. The name of a person who exceeds in every aspect of life. An amazing human being. A Captian.Anyone who is known as amazing, awesome, stellar, or freakin sweet.

I still do not know whether the OP is for real.  Why would such a supreme being need to ask the lesser beings for help? 

Just sayin'.   ;D

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2012, 01:08:37 am »

You could do a lot worse than the H3d-39. Nice back with good DR and color.    I had the multishot version of that back but in their CF mount which allowed me to mount it on a variety of cameras.   It was the CF-ii 39MS.  Still works on the H body but you could also mount it on a Fuji 680, a mamiya RZ, or in my case a Rollei 6008AF all of which are fine cameras and have nice sets of lenses.   It's really a shame that Hasselblad killed the CF line of backs. 
Rolleiflex USA

jeremypayne

« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2012, 07:13:25 am »

I have flip flopped between thinking that the OP is a legitimate poster with a (to him/her) legitimate question and thinking that the OP is a troll looking to stir the pot then sit back and laugh.  

I'm pretty sure y'all been trolled, but it has allowed everyone a nice chance to shake their shibboleths ...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up