Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3880 - low ink - When to change ink cart?  (Read 6219 times)

myc5

Epson 3880 - low ink - When to change ink cart?
« on: August 01, 2012, 12:13:26 am »

I have a 3880 and haven't changed carts too often yet. I'm getting low on four of them and have replacements in hand. The yellow warning triangles are showing up on my iMac for low ink, but it still keeps printing ok. When it gets to the "low ink" warning, it still seems to have a lot of life left in it - albeit for 8.5x11's.

When's the best time to change ink, if you want to maximize the cartridge? If I just keep printing, will the printer some day stop me from printing? Does it calculate how much ink it needs for each color and compute if it has enough to do the job? Cancelling the job when not enough ink is noticed? Or does it just print and stop mid way to reload a cart? Or do I loose one print when it runs out?

I haven't run totally dry yet, so I don't know what to expect.

biedron1

Re: Epson 3880 - low ink - When to change ink cart?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 12:53:14 am »

In my experience, one great aspect of the 3880 is that you can continue to print despite the blinking low ink warnings, until the printer actually stops mid print. Then just change the cartridge, and it will pick up precisely where it left off. I have never been able to detect the location on the print where the cartridge was replaced.

Bob

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 07:08:10 am »

+1 to Bob's post.  I've never had a problem with changing cartridges mid-print (18 times now).

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 09:33:43 am »

In my experience, one great aspect of the 3880 is that you can continue to print despite the blinking low ink warnings, until the printer actually stops mid print. Then just change the cartridge, and it will pick up precisely where it left off. I have never been able to detect the location on the print where the cartridge was replaced.

Same here. Amazing that it picks up and after the print is finished, you can’t tell where this occurred. It shows how amazingly consistent the hardware and inks are in.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

AFairley

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 12:07:17 pm »

Likewise.  Though I was able to see the transition point when there was maybe 15-20 minutes between the time the cart ran out and I swapped in the new one, usually I'm in the vicinity of the printer and can hear when it stops, that time I got distracted was off somewhere else.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 03:40:49 pm by AFairley »

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 01:50:15 pm »

Yup, on my 3800 I just print until it stops printing, then swap the cart for a new one. It's like magic...
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 02:54:46 pm »

The printer typically gives the warning when it's about 12% left.  Gives you enough time to order/pick up a new one and change it when it's empty.  This normally goes for majority of the new models as well.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 04:40:49 pm »

Likewise.  Though I was able to see the transition point when there was maybe 15-20 minutes between the time the cart ran out and I swapped in the new one, usually I'm in the vicinity of the printer and can hear when it stops, that time I got distracted was off somewhere else.

I once had two days between my 3800 stopping in mid-print and my managing to get a new cartridge. The print is perfect.

Jeremy

Philip Weber

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 06:05:44 pm »

I own the 3880 and have yet to see any issues with them running out mid-print, using Ilford GFS. i don't know how they did that but it means there's no wasted ink and with the price, that's much appreciated!

Phil
Pages: [1]   Go Up