Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internal conflicts of bystanding photographers.  (Read 3471 times)

dreed

Internal conflicts of bystanding photographers.
« on: July 31, 2012, 06:49:58 am »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/interactive/2012/jul/28/bystanders-photographers-who-didnt-help

At what point do you stop to make a differnce rather than just be an observer?

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: Internal conflicts of bystanding photographers.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 03:02:15 pm »

If I was in a position to offer real help and was the only party available to do so, I think I would need to do drop the camera.  But it's not that simple in cases of mob activity or the presence of perhaps too many potential helpers.  It's case by case.

And it's further complicated by issues where the photographer's presence influences the event, such as implicitly encouraging subjects to behave in exaggerated ways.

For me the most disturbing part of the domestic violence shot is the reflection of the photographer looking on dispassionately.  I didn't look at the others, the world is unpleasant enough without that stuff.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 06:51:48 pm »

If I was in a position to offer real help and was the only party available to do so, I think I would need to do drop the camera.  But it's not that simple in cases of mob activity or the presence of perhaps too many potential helpers.  It's case by case.

And it's further complicated by issues where the photographer's presence influences the event, such as implicitly encouraging subjects to behave in exaggerated ways.

For me the most disturbing part of the domestic violence shot is the reflection of the photographer looking on dispassionately.  I didn't look at the others, the world is unpleasant enough without that stuff.

I tend to agree; however, it seemed a bit strange to me that the snapper was already sort of in their relationship - I find these odd times and even odder people.

Rob C

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 09:25:25 pm »

What kind of a dumb-ass mother is Donna? It's one thing to put herself in harms way for a photo project, quite another to subject her child to a possible violent attack.

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 11:41:11 am »

At what point do you stop to make a differnce rather than just be an observer?

very simple - forget that you are a photographer - being one does not grant any additional rights or absolve you from any responsibilities... you shall answer your question as a regular human being and not shield yourself w/ some crap of metal/plastic/glass in your hands

marfa.tx

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 05:52:06 am »

me: 67-68 combat photographer. Drafted.
thousands of rolls of film; maybe a thousand rounds of 556 -- can't say I ever saved, or improved anybody's life during that "tour"   >:(
-------
richard

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 06:40:56 am »

me: 67-68 combat photographer. Drafted.
thousands of rolls of film; maybe a thousand rounds of 556 -- can't say I ever saved, or improved anybody's life during that "tour"   >:(

Honest; but then I supoose one never really knows where one's actions spread. All I can add is the thought that every action will have a conseqence, and even inaction has its rĂ´le in influencing the way things are or become. Conscience may or may not make cowards of us all, but do we really ever forget those things of which we are ashamed?

Rob C

RFPhotography

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 09:53:20 am »

This is an old topic.  Not just the link but the topic itself.

Read "The Bang Bang Club" or "Slightly Out of Focus".  Watch "Images of Conflict".

Bottom line:  No one can say definitively what they would or wouldn't do in the situation till they're in the situation.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 09:56:29 am by BobFisher »

WalterEG

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 03:45:29 pm »

Bottom line:  No one can say definitively what they would or wouldn't do in the situation till they're in the situation.

Ain't that da troof!!  Chisel it in stone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up