Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "one last go"  (Read 2123 times)

JohnAONeill

• http://www.johnanthonyoneill.com
"one last go"
« on: July 30, 2012, 10:38:11 am »

Shot this one yesterday evening. C&C welcome.

Thanks
John

Rob C

Re: "one last go"
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 11:06:54 am »

I quite like the flare, and perhaps were it mine, I'd trim the base off just above the black spot. I'd also try messing around with changing the volume to the left and right of the figure, something I've become accustomed to doing since I moved up to using a cellphone... I don't know if it would make much difference, of course, but it's one of the pleasant things about digital manipulation that you can play these games at no cost to the image.

I fact, I think you can teach yourself a lot from using cellpix - you probably have little idea of what you're shooting because you usually can't see it, and as cropping to interesting shapes is a positive outcome of shooting blind, there is the opportunity of discovering how visual dynamics work...

Brave new world!

Rob C

amolitor

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 11:33:58 am »

Not to hijack, but let me hijack!

I too am a big fan of the cell phone. If you can't do good work with a cell phone (even an old 640x480 cell phone camera) you probably can't do good work at all. Sure, you can't print it big and sharp. Sure the color is all crummy. Still, if you cannot produce a compelling image in 640x480 with auto-everything, the problem is not the gear, it's you.

Ok, now I will stop hijacking. And, if you have ANY SENSE gentle reader, you will ignore this post.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 12:16:47 pm »

Cropping just above the steeple does the most for me with this shot. The top clouds are just distractions, taking away from main subject, the bicyclist and the kids playing in the left background. Thus, the steeple creates just the setting background but with all the clouds included it becomes more of the focal point because of its central location in the frame. The flare doesn't bother me a bit as it makes the strong shadows of the bike believable. I'd also convert it to b/w.

Lately I've become appreciative of those shooting with cell phones. Mainly because many more unique images are shot and shared. This could have been shot with a Kodak Brownie or a Mark III digital but likely wouldn't have. Luckily, or foresightedly, the cell phone was there and the creative eye ready.

JohnAONeill

• http://www.johnanthonyoneill.com
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 01:47:46 pm »

I quite like the flare, and perhaps were it mine, I'd trim the base off just above the black spot. I'd also try messing around with changing the volume to the left and right of the figure, something I've become accustomed to doing since I moved up to using a cellphone... I don't know if it would make much difference, of course, but it's one of the pleasant things about digital manipulation that you can play these games at no cost to the image.

I fact, I think you can teach yourself a lot from using cellpix - you probably have little idea of what you're shooting because you usually can't see it, and as cropping to interesting shapes is a positive outcome of shooting blind, there is the opportunity of discovering how visual dynamics work...

Brave new world!

Rob C

Just migrated from a phase one p45+ on an Arca Swiss M-Line LF Body to a Sony Nex 7 to get the shooting weight down.  To me the nex 7 is as portable as a cellphone, but with 24mp to boot! Thanks for the cropping suggestions guys, I'll have to boot up photoshop again and test out your suggestions to see which one I like best. Unfortunately this image was already cropped so I don't have too much headroom left! I was using a 30mm prime at capture so this was just a quick grab shot. No time to get closer (I also think the parents might have been upset if I got too close ;-)

Thanks again for looking.

Cheers
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up