Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon DPP and White Balance  (Read 8769 times)

petercook80

Canon DPP and White Balance
« on: July 30, 2012, 05:50:08 am »

Hi, does anyone know if you can check the actual Colour Temp the camera 'used' when shot in 'Auto' and converting the RAW file in DPP. (While I appreciate the RAW does not actually have a White Balance the camera tags a white balance and then DPP applies it in the conversion when left as Shot Settings)
Also following on is there a list of what canon uses for 'Daylight' , 'cloudy' etc as a colour temperature figure.
(the camera in question is a G10)

eliedinur

Re: Canon DPP and White Balance
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 06:43:34 pm »

It can't be done directly in DPP, but in ExifToolGUI, in the Maker's Notes section, the actual temperature used as well as the temperatures of the presets are shown. The first line in each couplet gives the RGGB multipliers used to acheive the balance.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

petercook80

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 05:47:24 am »

Thanks for the info, I shall investigate ......

Dinarius

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 12:14:26 pm »

Peter,

Did you get anywhere with improving white balance?

Is there an easy way of finding out what Temperature/Tint DPP has applied to a white balance correction? I could then set that manually in ACR or LR and do all my editing there. DPP doesn't appear to give these readings, unless I'm missing something.

ACR's and LR's white balance for my Canon 1Ds Mk lll is laughable, to put it mildly. Camera profile? Adobe's idea of a joke, methinks.

I'm tired of wasting so much time with the WB in ACR/LR and would dearly love to be able to just copy what DPP does.

Any feedback much appreciated.

D.

petercook80

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 08:44:20 am »

Hi, No I am sorry to say I didn't, I would still like to be able to but its not that important for me, but if anyone knows how please let us know.

b2martin

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 09:29:21 am »

I don't know about Canon white balance numbers, but Nikon white balance numbers do not correlate to Adobe's white balance numbers.  What I mean is if you shoot an image with a preset white balance selected like Daylight the value you get in Adobe for the "as shot" white balance is not what Nikon specifies for Daylight values. 

The problem you have when you open a RAW file in Adobe is probably due to the fact that the default camera profile is Adobe Standard, which probably does not give the same colors as the profile used in Canon software or the camera.  Adobe does supply Camera profiles for some cameras - Nikon and Canon and a few others.   

Dinarius

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 12:51:24 pm »

I find that Camera Neutral is the best starting point in ACR/LR.

My problem isn't with that though, it with the White Balance which, as I said, is better in DPP, in my opinion.

D.

risedal

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 08:45:57 pm »

Canon usually have 5200K as default

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 09:57:11 pm »

I don't know about Canon white balance numbers, but Nikon white balance numbers do not correlate to Adobe's white balance numbers.

Which is to be expected (the numbers have quite a range of values that can describe the same color)! Plus each converter is unique in how it renders the data so YMMV. 5500K isn't an exact color, it's a pretty significant possible range of colors. The values are correlated color temp values (CCT).

http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up