Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How To Center Image using Epson 3880 and 17x25 Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta  (Read 3909 times)

Diamond Star Halo

My images consistently print to within 1/8” on the top, bottom and right side, but ¼” on the LEFT side.
So the image appears off center – shifted slightly to the right side.

The Epson 3880 “Print” menu shows a preview of the image as it will be printed.  On the preview, all the sides are even except on the RIGHT side, which has a small gap – interesting that it’s on the right side given that my problem is with the left side of the print.

I’ve tried the following settings on the Epson 3880 “Print” menu and, each time, the image prints the same way – off center, shifted slightly to the right side:

> Went to the “Position” section and checked the “Center Image” box. 

> Went to the “Scaled Print Size” section and checked the “Scale to Fit Media” box.

> Went to both sections and checked both the “Center Image” and the “Scale to Fit Media” boxes. 

> Went to the “Position” section and manually entered random numbers into the “Left” box until the preview showed that the image was centered. 

The last time I called Epson for help on a different issue, the tech person did not read my Incident Report email carefully, kept cutting me off as I tried to explain the issue and noted that the problem was my use of Harman paper (although Epson doesn’t make 17x25 paper).

But my posts here yielded many kind and informative tips that solved the problem.

So, again, I would be grateful for any suggestions on how I can center my image.

Thanks everyone.

AaronPhotog

• Dygart Photography

Yes, the 3800 and 3880, when loaded from the top sheet feeder, load the paper a little toward the right when looking at the printer.  Are you on a windows machine or a mac?  I use Qimage to adjust the placement a little off center toward the left to compensate.  You may have to experiment to get the right offset for your machine.  I don't know if Lightroom has this capability, but it should.

Aloha,  Aaron

Aaron Dygart,
Honolulu

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/

Try making a custom page size using 0.56 margins for all sides.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Diamond Star Halo

Thanks so much for these suggestions. 

The paper is thick, so I’ve been using the rear feeder.
But I guess I could still loading it to the right a little. 

I’m on a windows machine and will look into the Qimage software.
In the meantime, I will also try the custom page idea with the 0.56 setting.

DSH

Pete Berry

How have you sized your print file image?

It's been my experience with other printers that trying to set margins manually throws you into the minefield of "mimimum printable magins", which in my iPF 5100 is 3mm, a little less than 1/8", and which must be compensated for in the settings. For example, with my image sized 16.5x24.5" for .25" margins all around on 17x25 page size, in the printer driver they are indicated as 0.131" rather than .25" ; but in the Canon 16-bit printing CS5 plugin I print through, they are correct at .25". The printed image has identical margins with both.

Although manual margin settings are essential for off-setting an image, simply sizing the image appropriately for the desired margins and checking "center" should work every time - as long as the dimensions don't exceed the page size minus mimimal printable margins.

Pete
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 06:57:01 pm by Pete Berry »

VW1764

There was just recently a similar question asked regarding this printer.  I own the 3880 and, well here's the other thread

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=68835.msg544772#msg544772

This used to drive me insane, not being able to center an image on the photo paper.... One day out of curiosity I had wondered what would happen if I didn't touch the margins but rather just entered the "Cell Size" well... all my images are centered on the paper now. YMMV, but that's what works for me, currently I use LR4.1  Obviously I'm sure there are times when one wants a larger margin on the left than right, bottom than top, I don't seem to have a problem with those, just centering caused me grieve.  If you want to print borderless, you have to set the margins to 0.  Ironic part is setting the cell size is fewer steps....

Vance
Pages: [1]   Go Up