Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Untitled  (Read 1757 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Untitled
« on: July 29, 2012, 05:49:49 pm »

-
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

WalterEG

Re: Untitled
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 07:31:58 pm »

What a very curious find Rus,

I am not quite sure what I make of it; there are some wonderful elements, and a fascinating moment, but I a just in a bit of a muddle as to how they all come together.  My initial reaction (which stays with me) is that the framing needed to be wither tighter or looser — too much information, or not enough.

The little fella's response is what makes it very special for me.

Cheers,

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 07:44:02 pm »

Seems perfect to me.  I wouldn't want to loose the geometric elements that give it a border, and it is appealingly balanced.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 07:59:35 pm »

Forgive me for altering you work but I love your image and this crop was shouting out to me.

Peter

www.peterfiore.com
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 08:08:16 pm by petermfiore »

WalterEG

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 09:04:43 pm »

Peter,

That is partly what I was thinking but I really hope for the impossible and that is adding to the frame.  To see more of the park - particularly if it is deserted - might enhance the notion that these little performance piece is happening secluded from the world - in a little found corner of the world.

Cheers,

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 09:24:05 pm »

Forgive me for altering you work but I love your image and this crop was shouting out to me.

Nothing to forgive, Peter. That's one of the wonderful things about User Critiques. Nobody complains about mods that demonstrate a suggestion. I've learned things from some of the mods people have made to my postings, though I disagree as often as I agree.

In this case I disagree. One thing that enhances street photography is ambiguity, and I can see from Walter's response that I succeeded in introducing ambiguity. The unexplained enclosure, and what looks like a fence behind the enclosure are part of the ambiguity. Once those elements are gone things become much simpler and less ambiguous. We're still faced with the questions: (1) why is the guy inside this fence and why is he beating on some bongo drums? and (2) who is the kid? Is he with the drummer or just a spectator. But the further question about the bordered enclosure and the fence disappear.

I don't want to beat the thing to death. I was doing some web revisions today and I ran across this one from 2005. It struck me that it's the kind of street photography I most enjoy.

Somebody's going to suggest converting to B&W. I tried that and the wood chips on the ground of the enclosure instantly look way over-sharpened.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

WalterEG

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 09:37:32 pm »

Rus,

I am often the B&W monster but in this case it is best in colour.

Pages: [1]   Go Up