Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does 3880 normally do auto cleanings?  (Read 2519 times)

AFairley

Does 3880 normally do auto cleanings?
« on: July 29, 2012, 03:45:02 pm »

When I turned my 3880 on this morning, it did a cleaning cycle (which took quite a while) all by itself.  It's never done this before.  Is this normal?  I don't recall ever hearing that the printer does this.  By way of background, I got the printer at the beginning of the year, print about once a week and turn the printer off between sessions.  I replaced one of the carts two months or so ago, none of the carts are near empty.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 05:04:34 pm by AFairley »

francois

Re: Does 3880 normally do auto cleanings?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 03:51:54 am »

When I turned my 3880 on this morning, it did a cleaning cycle (which took quite a while) all by itself.  It's never done this before.  Is this normal?  I don't recall ever hearing that the printer does this.  By way of background, I got the printer at the beginning of the year, print about once a week and turn the printer off between sessions.  I replaced one of the carts two months or so ago, none of the carts are near empty.

Thanks.

My 3800 does it from time to time.
Francois

mfryd

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 02:59:42 pm »

Do you ever swap between glossy and photo black?

Even if you only use one of the blacks, you need to swap occasionally to keep the other black from clogging.  If you never swap, the printer will occasionally automatically swap to the other black and back.

AFairley

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 04:27:41 pm »

No, never switch.  I wonder if that is what happened, it did take quite a while just as when I did switch on the 3800.  Thanks.

Dave Kocher

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 07:16:26 pm »

A friend with a 3800 was having a terrible time with frequent self-cleaning cycles.  Finally he took it to the local Epson repair center, and they verified it was cleaning far too often.  Finally after several consultations with the factory people, one of the Epson engineers said "Try a new battery".  They put a new battery in and the machine has behaved ever since.
That printer had been doing that since day one.  He had gone through literally dozens of maintenance cartridges.....

Steve House

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 09:06:07 am »

A friend with a 3800 was having a terrible time with frequent self-cleaning cycles.  Finally he took it to the local Epson repair center, and they verified it was cleaning far too often.  Finally after several consultations with the factory people, one of the Epson engineers said "Try a new battery".  They put a new battery in and the machine has behaved ever since.
That printer had been doing that since day one.  He had gone through literally dozens of maintenance cartridges.....
  Battery? What battery?

MichaelWorley

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 01:49:06 pm »

Battery? What battery?

Apparently it's got one on the motherboard:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1058874

Dave Kocher

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 05:29:45 pm »

Apparently it's got one on the motherboard:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1058874
[/quote]

Yes, that's correct.  My friend never got a maintenance request message.
Pages: [1]   Go Up