Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In Boston  (Read 5219 times)

Bruce Cox

• flickr
In Boston
« on: July 28, 2012, 10:07:31 pm »

I took the attached about thirty years ago.  I have just started to use a scanner and learn how to process my older work.

Bruce

WalterEG

Re: In Boston
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 09:13:56 pm »

I love it.  The image is full of surprises and rewards for the observant viewer.

What I would think is a worthwhile project is to go back to the same spot and do the pic again with today's technology.  It would be a time capsule not just of the cars, cityscape and people, but would also celebrate the changes in the medium of capture.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 09:28:20 pm »

I like it, Bruce, but it needs to lose a bunch of blue: like this.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 09:29:46 am »

What I would think is a worthwhile project is to go back to the same spot and do the pic again with today's technology.  It would be a time capsule not just of the cars, cityscape and people, but would also celebrate the changes in the medium of capture.

Thanks.  I like the idea of shooting from that spot again. I don't know how you are fixed for traveling, but it may be easier for you to get there, than it is for me.

Bruce
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 10:22:40 am by Bruce Cox »

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 10:05:21 am »

I like it, Bruce, but it needs to lose a bunch of blue: like this.

Yes, your version is much closer to daylight.  I will try to find better ways to hold the parts together.  Thanks.  In my version the rather violet shade to the highway keeps it from receding too much and locking the eye to the right; however...  

Bruce
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 10:26:58 am by Bruce Cox »

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 11:12:42 am »

Oddly enough, the colourful one better suits my mood for the past...

Rob C

RSL

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 01:59:33 pm »

Bruce, Rob, there's a severe color cast in the original. There are other ways to create a mood, vignetting for instance, and anybody who's done any amount of digital post-processing is going to be hit in the eye by the color cast. It jumps out at you.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 03:12:26 pm »

Bruce, Rob, there's a severe color cast in the original. There are other ways to create a mood, vignetting for instance, and anybody who's done any amount of digital post-processing is going to be hit in the eye by the color cast. It jumps out at you.

Again, I agree about my color; I think the vignetting helps, though I am allergic to vignetting.  To quibble, I will say that your highway is more green than is good for it, but I haven't had the strength to fix mine yet.  I have since worked on the attached NY-NY-SD and from the same period, which I have tried to make less blue, though I still think it is sad.

Bruce

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 06:10:39 pm »

Was it normal for people to walk the streets in their underwear? I'd imagined that a relatively new departure for party girls in Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

Whatever, I don't think people look good doing it.

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 07:12:18 pm »

Well, at least there don't appear to be stains on the undoes Rob.

It happens in Sydney a lot in the warmer weather. At 11ยบ this morning I doubt there'd be yoo much of it.

W

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 09:31:40 pm »

I started over on the file, mindful of the previous, and came up with this, which I like better.

Bruce

RSL

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 11:30:23 am »

Bruce, sorry to have to say it, but on my carefully calibrated monitor at least, there's still a fairly severe color cast in your latest version of the original shot, and also the picture of people on the street in their underwear. I guess one's ability to tolerate a color cast in a photograph is a subjective thing, but I do enough work in Photoshop that a color cast jumps out at me.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 12:48:30 pm by RSL »

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 01:00:51 pm »

On my monitor the white of the Citgo sign is as white as it should be. Also the sneakers and the white shirt in the center looks okay. I can't see much of a cast except for a bit of cyan in the sky and middle grays.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 01:09:28 pm »

Thank you for you patience.  This has made me think enough, I need to make a list to remember perceived differences in processing from film and technical questions about scanning.  Not to mention thinking more about how old, or new, or different I want these slides to look.  Here is one last stab for now.

Bruce

BobDavid

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 10:25:49 pm »

Great photo. You'll work out the color in good time. I lived in Boston in the 1980s. Was this shot during the marathon or before/after a Sox game?

michswiss

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 10:46:04 am »

I lived in Boston for about 10 years just after this shot was taken. Brings back memories.  Feels like the Marathon.

As to the original posted image / scan, I have an Epson V700.  For what it's worth, colour positives fairly consistently come through with a blue cast and require colour correction work.  I don't do enough film to get a solid baseline as to what's happening as sometimes in confined spaces the colour works fine on the original scan.  I'm totally guessing that the capture software is attempting to play games based on highlights and whitepoint algorithms.  Watch out for it when scanning in the future.   

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 09:36:47 pm »

It was during a marathon.  I had scanned it on automatic with a v700; I have today rescanned on the v700 set on Professional and have now achieved inclusive borders [what is posted was cropped a little on auto] and I hope more complex color.  I haven't got the new version into Photoshop yet.  The Epson seems to only out put 8 bit rather than 16 bit files.  I have been somewhat confused by the Epson's set up.  I am watching out but...

Bruce

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 07:04:06 am »

I love the photo Bruce..can't comment on the specifics of the colour though tonight because I am on my uncalibrated laptop. I really like the business of the people on the left compared to the fluidity of the road on the right. I like the way the direction of focus for both the people and cars is toward the same direction. I like the way there are a few buildings filling the space of the sky in the background... just to give it some room to breathe. There are interesting bits all over this image. I love the few cars in the box created by the bridge shadow on the right. ..and of course the narrative of the times as illustrated by the cars and clothing.

Julie
Pages: [1]   Go Up