Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waste of money using an 80 or 60 MP back with Hasselblad Series V lenses?  (Read 4550 times)

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers

Do you think it would be a waste of money using an 80 or 60 MP back with Hasselblad Series V (Hasselblad 5xx series) lenses in the sense that the older lenses are not up to the resolution offered by these backs?

Possibly, you might see defects in the lenses???
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

henrikfoto

Many of the V-lenses are very good even with the 80 mp backs.
I like the newest V-lenses in many cases better than the new Phase one or H-lenses.

But I would stay away from the V-cameras with the highest resolution backs.
They will cause you a lot of frustration.

The Contax 645 is very good with digital backs, cheap and can use both the Cf and the Fe lenses.

Henrik

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers

Than you for your views, Henrik.

Please tell me more about "But I would stay away from the V-cameras with the highest resolution backs. They will cause you a lot of frustration."

Frustration in what way? I have an Aptus 75 and the only frustration I sometimes have is in focussing which I understand many others experience when using DBs.

What frustrations are you referring to?
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

henrikfoto

I had a 80 mp back with my 503cw for 2 months. I finally gave up. The V-cameras are not precise enough
for these backs (80mp). They also make too much vibrations. If I was lucky 1 out of 10 pics were sharp, even if I was very careful. I am talking freehand shooting.

I have no problems with the 503 with the P20 or P25.

Henrik

FredBGG

Interesting reading on the V and H lenses.

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/media/1663143/the_evolution_of_lenses.pdf

Many of the very high end film camera medium format lenses are perfectly good on MFDB. The whole digital lens thing is a bit of a marketing myth.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 11:57:50 pm by FredBGG »

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com

Digital medium format requires the very best in technique to achieve peak image quality.

60 or 80MP is definitely not wasted on the V-series--these cameras and their optics can deliver top-notch results.  Vibration from mirror slap will be a problem with a particular range of shutter speeds--test your setup to find out where you will run into trouble.

Shutter vibration can also an issue on the F/FE series cameras, particularly with longer lenses, but I assume you were talking about a C/CF/CFE V camera.
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

design_freak

I had a 80 mp back with my 503cw for 2 months. I finally gave up. The V-cameras are not precise enough
for these backs (80mp). They also make too much vibrations. If I was lucky 1 out of 10 pics were sharp, even if I was very careful. I am talking freehand shooting.

I have no problems with the 503 with the P20 or P25.

Henrik
Dear Henrik,
Want to sell your 80?

Best regards,
DF

henrikfoto

Dear Henrik,
Want to sell your 80?

I changed the mount to Mamiya. If I were to do it again I would have changed it to Hy6.

Henrik

Gigi

• some work

not sure that can be done....
Geoff

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA

Of course it can. You can still buy new AFi-ii 12's. Henrik what are you waiting for?  The schneider lenses are better than the zeiss V lenses.  Less distortion, better bokeh.
Rolleiflex USA

henrikfoto

Yes, I should, but just the new mount is minimum 3-4.000 $ by Phase one/Leaf.
Nothing like the old Sinars and Hasselblads where you could have many different
mounts and change when you needed. :(

Henrik

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA

Well you can fit the AFi with adapters to the Mamiya RZ, arTec, cambo, alpa, linhof and maybe other cameras. Anything with a sliding back like my Xact2.   The RZ adapter works like the Sinar adapter plates with scews and cables and everything else is snap in. Actually I think you can get one for the Fuji 680 too?
Rolleiflex USA

Dick Roadnight

How to use an 80 or 60 MP back with Hasselblad Series V lenses?
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 06:57:31 am »

I can use V series lenses with my H4D-60 by using the CF adapter - and this is an option I might use, as I have the Zeiss 120 Macro, and not the new HC(2) macro 120... but I like movements... so I could use my Sinar back on the Hasselblad Flexbody, but the 54H is only 22Mpx in single shot, and I can only use it multi-shot with an electronic shutter?

My new Hasselblad 300mm is a nice autofocus lens, and I could remote DoF stack with it, but will I use my Zeiss 250mm again?

...and how would my Zeiss 40mm (on my H4D-60) compare to the Schneider Apo-Digitar 47XL (on my Sinar P3)?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses
Pages: [1]   Go Up