Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shall I start with landscape photography?  (Read 1276 times)

HasABeard

Shall I start with landscape photography?
« on: July 28, 2012, 12:43:04 pm »

Hello everyone, my first post on LuLa, so please be kind! ;)

I suggest to handle the question in the subject as a rhetorical one. 8)

Thanks for any answer/critique.

Chris
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 12:51:07 pm by HasABeard »
Chris

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: Shall I start with landscape photography?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 03:18:29 pm »

Yes, you should start with landscape photography!  It has a long history of making its practitioners rich and famous.   :)

The thing that immediately strikes me about this image is that the various angled lines and shapes strongly imply a perspective vanishing point that is outside the image, over to the left.  That situation tends to draw the viewer's eye away from the image.  While it's just a rule, images with pronounced vanishing points should try to reveal the point itself.  It's as though this is an extreme crop of a panoramic shot, where the center of the panorama used to be over to the left.  And there is also a little too much visual weight on the right as opposed to the left.

But, your heart is in the right  place.  Nice artsy feel.  Maybe a little too HDR-ish for my tastes, but I am impressed that you did not fall for the trap of adding excessive contrast which can completely destroy the sense of depth and tonal beauty.  Keep it up!

And welcome to Lula!

HasABeard

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 04:01:47 pm »

Thanks. And I just noticed that it's meant "start off with"!? ::)

Interesting aspect about the vanishing lines. I'll have to discover this subject, in theory or when taking my next shot. Now I looked at the picture even more, and I may have gotten what you mean. Had I taken the shot from let's say ~150m to the left, then the vanishing point would probably be revealed, but also the parliament building in the back would not be visible any more...

The HDR effect in my picture is at the edge of what I tolerate personally, so I am not surprised by your feeling. One other thing is the white balance, after I posted the picture I lowered the temperature a bit, and it gave me a somehow more likeable sky and water (more blue than turquoise). But that's just a detail.

Don't miss my next to criticizing picture! :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 05:10:54 pm by HasABeard »
Chris

LoisWakeman

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 05:08:43 pm »

Well said Bill ...

jeremypayne

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 05:17:20 pm »

I think the halo around the spire ruins it for me ... that kind of artifact will ruin any image.

There is also a magenta cast, at least on my monitor.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 06:20:27 pm »

It's pretty, Has, but I agree with Jeremy, especially about the magenta cast. It needs better post -processing. The other problem is that it's pretty, but it's merely pretty. It's the kind of shot a tourist would make with his cellphone.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

HasABeard

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 07:39:24 pm »

You two are unfortunately right, the magenta cast has been bothering me as well, especially around the clouds. This was also the reason I reduced the temperature after posting, but the cast is still a bit existent (?)(see below). Truly a post processing thing, which, well, won't be solved for this picture.

Jeremy: I haven't noticed the halo around the church before, you have a good eye there, although it's a very very minor halo I think.

Russ: Thanks for the cellphone analogy, very constructive, I will call that on your next photography as well. ;)

« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 04:08:42 am by HasABeard »
Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up