Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Into the dark: A history of night photography  (Read 2933 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
If your mind is attuned t

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: Into the dark: A history of night photography
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 02:49:10 am »

Thanks for that.  Our brain's hard wiring interprets the day and night versions of the same scene in completely independent ways.  Night photography turns up the psychological light in ways that create weird new perceptions of familiar imagery, as day and night algorithms get mixed up and conflicted.  I want to do a lot more night photography.  And I just realized I already have a fairly decent artist's statement!

Kevin Cooley also does some interesting night work.  He's on to other things now, but I like those streaking shots.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 09:13:40 am »

Intrigues me enough to go explore more of Andrew McConnell's work. I very much like that lighting technique he used on the Moroccon lady.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 07:20:14 pm »

Thanks Mike ... really interesting. I've been very keen to experiment and explore night time photography lately...but being in the middle of winter here.. (yes i know 5 degrees C in Australia is NOT really winter)... but going out after dinner, being warm and snug just hasn't happened. My desire and passion levels need to strengthen ... but when I reach that point I am certain it will be a wonderful exploration.

Thanks again... it has inspired me more to just put a warm coat and bini on and get out there!!

Julie   

Tony Jay

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 07:52:26 am »

Julie, that is what the Australian tropics are there for.
I am headed to the Kimberlys in four weeks and have a lot of ideas for night photography to build on an enduring interest in the genre.
Its true that by the time I get there it not be merely warm but rather hot.
Nonetheless, those clear nights would be ideal for starscapes.

Regards

Tony Jay

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 07:57:30 am »

Julie, that is what the Australian tropics are there for.
I am headed to the Kimberlys in four weeks and have a lot of ideas for night photography to build on an enduring interest in the genre.
Its true that by the time I get there it not be merely warm but rather hot.
Nonetheless, those clear nights would be ideal for starscapes.

Regards

Tony Jay
AHHH yes...tropics... memories of the Kimberley drawing my mind to that incredibly beautiful landscape... Just make sure you've got the mozzie repellent... we needed it everywhere we went from Karratha to Halls Creek...and down to Alice... even at midnight when we thought the little buggers would be asleep!!

Have a wonderful time..with my fun friends Christian and Nick at Home Valley????

Julie

Tony Jay

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 08:19:04 am »

Sadly Julie I won't be arriving quite in time for that workshop.
I just could not time things for Nick and Chris up at Home Hill Station.
However, I have been to the area before to photograph so I have a good idea of where I want to go and what to expect in light and weather conditions and also ideas of how to get shots that were the "nearly but not quite" variety from my last trip.
I also have a lot of ideas of things to try that I have not attempted before including some ideas for night photography.
Hopefully, in the months following my return in early October I will actually have some useful images to share progressively on the forum.

Regards

Tony Jay

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 08:37:36 am »

Yeah thanks for the link Mike. Night photography opens up a whole new field of stuff to keep the mind occupied with.
Pages: [1]   Go Up