Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Breathing Color Lyve vs. Fredrix 777 Vivid  (Read 7329 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Breathing Color Lyve vs. Fredrix 777 Vivid
« on: July 27, 2012, 05:49:41 pm »

Has anyone actually worked with both of these canvases? From the samples I have seen, I suspect that either one will be fine for an upcoming show. Price is similar, too.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: Breathing Color Lyve vs. Fredrix 777 Vivid
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 06:11:23 pm »

I have used both, although my last use of 777 was more than a year ago.

Main difference is that 777 is one of the thinnest canvases out there, while Lyve is fairly thick.  And I think 777 has about the finest weave of any canvas I have seen, although the very latest batches of Lyve apparently are also fairly fine however I haven't seen any up to date samples.  The thicker Lyve canvas might be a better choice if you plan to stretch prints more than about 24" on the vertical, thicker canvases are somewhat more sag resistant.  I always mount canvas, so I can't say too much about stretching.  As canvases go Lyve is quite stiff whereas 777 is quite flexible.  I would suggest making a few test wraps before committing to either one.  I have a few canvas stretching buddies who still seem to prefer the old BC Chromata canvas.  With custom profiles Lyve or Chromata will probably give you a wider gamut than 777, but the difference would not be signficant for most prints.  Looking at the printing profiles I have, Lyve's gamut volume is a few percent bigger in the blue and green direction.

For a long time 777 was my absolute favorite canvas because of the fine weave.  There were some issues with edge roll which caused me to give it up, I think those have been corrected.
Pages: [1]   Go Up