Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LCD protector for 5DMkIII?  (Read 3970 times)

walter.sk

LCD protector for 5DMkIII?
« on: July 27, 2012, 03:15:44 pm »

For 7 out of 8 years the LCD on my 1D Mk II has lived with an annoying scrape seemingly etched into what was supposed to be a very scratch-resistant LCD.  One of the nicest things about my new 5d MkIII is that there are no scratches on the LCD yet, and I would like to keep it that way.  I know they are supposed to be almost indestructible, but I think I should have a protector for it.

I have not found any that are the correct size, other than one that relies on adhesive, which I do not want to use.  What have people found for their 5D3III LCD's?

AFairley

Re: LCD protector for 5DMkIII?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 03:38:56 pm »

I bought a Zagg iPad screeen protector.  I cut out the sizes that I need from that, to date I've protected the LCDs on 4 different cameras, and I have enough to do a whole bunch more in the future.  I like the Zagg since there are no problems with air bubbles because of the application procedure using some magical liquid (actually, it could just be water, for all I know) that comes with the protector.

duane_bolland

• flexiblelightphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 01:31:51 am »

I've found all my Canon LCD screens to be very durable.  I've never scratched one and I've certainly abused them.  I've read that the glass can be replaced for cheap--something like $10. 

walter.sk

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 11:27:55 am »

I like the Zagg since there are no problems with air bubbles because of the application procedure using some magical liquid (actually, it could just be water, for all I know) that comes with the protector.

Would the use of some unknown liquid invalidate the Canon warranty?

AFairley

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 11:42:27 am »

Would the use of some unknown liquid invalidate the Canon warranty?
I reckon if it got inside the camera and fried it.  But you only spray a mist on the LCD side of the protector - not the LCD itself - when you apply it, so I can't see that happening.  No residue or anything when the protector is removed, so it's use is undetectable.   Zagg also makes custom cut protectors, but they are less cost-effective if you have several LCDs to do of course.

stevesanacore

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 01:59:45 pm »

I used a thin glass protector on one of my 5d's once and it scratched right away LOL and I had a really hard time getting it off the camera. I never tried that again. I'm very tough on gear and have no scratches on any of the LCD's on any camera going back many years. But the apple screen protectors sound like a simple choice as they come off easy and are cheap.
We don't know what we don't know.

AFairley

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 09:20:07 pm »

I reckon if it got inside the camera and fried it.  But you only spray a mist on the LCD side of the protector - not the LCD itself - when you apply it, so I can't see that happening.  No residue or anything when the protector is removed (they are easily removed), so it's use is undetectable.   Zagg also makes custom cut protectors, but they are less cost-effective if you have several LCDs to do of course.

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 03:03:01 am »

I bought a glass-made LCD protector from GGS and never looked back: fits perfectly and does not move at all, is practically invisible, and has survived without scratches for years.

mjflath

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 10:23:48 pm »

dreed

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 09:48:24 pm »

The LCD screen in Canon cameras has a protector over it.

What you would be therefore buying is a protector for the LCD protector.

I think I've had it replaced once by Canon after one of my cameras met a rock whilst in interesting terrain.

If you search around the web, you should be able to find replacement LCD protection screens for Canon cameras for roughly $20. If you search the web, you should also be able to find DIY guides on how to replace the screen yourself, including part numbers, etc.

walter.sk

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 11:57:21 am »

The LCD screen in Canon cameras has a protector over it.

What you would be therefore buying is a protector for the LCD protector.

I think I've had it replaced once by Canon after one of my cameras met a rock whilst in interesting terrain.

If you search around the web, you should be able to find replacement LCD protection screens for Canon cameras for roughly $20. If you search the web, you should also be able to find DIY guides on how to replace the screen yourself, including part numbers, etc.
Sounds good.  I'll check it out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up