Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica/Fujiblad Merging? From Xpro M adapter to Leica S2 H adapter  (Read 2728 times)

EinstStein

Fujifilm Xpro adds Leica M adapter is nothing suspicious, every RF wants to be Leica M alternative. But Leica S2 adds Fujiblad H adapter is unusual, hmmm, a prolog of the merge? 
When Hasselblad announced the Fuji-based Xpan, it's the beginning of the end. Soon Hasselblad H came out and it ended the beginning, although it still took a long time for the Fuji-based H version to kill the Zeiss-based V system.
Would Fujiblad's H lens systen eventually killed the Red-dot based lenses? Price-wise it certainly has the edge, a sharp edge.

telyt

Re: Leica/Fujiblad Merging? From Xpro M adapter to Leica S2 H adapter
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 01:58:58 pm »

Fujifilm Xpro adds Leica M adapter is nothing suspicious, every RF wants to be Leica M alternative. But Leica S2 adds Fujiblad H adapter is unusual, hmmm, a prolog of the merge? 
When Hasselblad announced the Fuji-based Xpan, it's the beginning of the end. Soon Hasselblad H came out and it ended the beginning, although it still took a long time for the Fuji-based H version to kill the Zeiss-based V system.
Would Fujiblad's H lens systen eventually killed the Red-dot based lenses? Price-wise it certainly has the edge, a sharp edge.

Leica's H-to-S adapter was made without Fujiblad's cooperation so I don't see that as a sign of a merger.  At any rate the H lens system would not endanger the marketability of the S lenses.  H have a price advantage, S have an image quality advantage.

FredBGG

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 02:07:37 pm »

Leica's H-to-S adapter was made without Fujiblad's cooperation so I don't see that as a sign of a merger.  At any rate the H lens system would not endanger the marketability of the S lenses.  H have a price advantage, S have an image quality advantage.

What makes you think that the Leica S lenses are better than the Fujinons on the Hasselblad H system?
Personally I find that the Leica S lenses are not designed with the same type of look as the Leica M lenses
and don't have a particularly appealing look to them. The S lenses like the phase One Schneider lenses are designed for hyper sharpness
to "show off" the high MP count sensors and not for an optimal overall look.

While I am not a big fan of the Hasselblad H bodies  the lenses are excellent.

FredBGG

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 02:15:22 pm »

Leica designed the S2 to Fujinon adapter to make the S2 more appealing to Hasselblad H owners thinking of migrating
and for Leica s2 owners that were pissed off because Leica did not follow through (yet) with it's promise of leaf shutter lenses.
Leica did this with no co-operation from Hasselblad or Fuji. They did it by reverse engineering and figuring out the digital buss from the
Hasselblad H body to the Fujinon lenses.

I would not be suprized if Hasselblad came out with new firmware for both cameras and lenses so as to make it hard to use the adapter.
They like to castrate the Hasselblad H so you lose functionality such as no film support on the digital cameras unless you have a Hasselblad Hvx or whatever it is.
But even then you can't just go out an buy one, you can only buy one if you trade in another hasselblad H camera. This kind of way of screwing the photographer
is one of the reasons I stayed away from Hasselblad and used mamiya RZ and Fuji gx680.

telyt

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 04:23:49 pm »

What makes you think that the Leica S lenses are better than the Fujinons on the Hasselblad H system?

People who have compared them say so.

FredBGG

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 06:40:46 pm »

I had a chance to compare the 120mm f2.5 on the S2 to the 100mm f2.2 Fujinon on Hasselblad H
The Hasselblad was nicer IMO, but the sensor on the Hasselblad was larger 40.2 x 53.7mm

Pixel peeping the with both images scaled to the MP count of the Leica... the Leica was a bit sharper.
The Fujinon had a nicer look and more depth.

maybe someone could test them both on the S2, but that would be a crop for the Fujinon.

telyt

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 11:02:13 pm »

The people I know who have compared them own both the H and S lenses and compared them on the S2.  The differences were most evident at the widest apertures.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 01:59:53 am »

Hi,

It's a smart move by Leica to ensure a good supply of lenses for the S2, as the Leica lenses are still scarse.

But, I really feel that Leica needs to come out with a new camera, preferably with functional live view to make best use of those lenses.

BTW, Marc McCalmont has adopted a few R-lenses to Nikon mount using Leitax adapters. That may be the best way to make use of those lenses.

The next best way may be to use them on a Sony NEX7...

Unless you have a DMR and are satisfied with the crop factor and the 10 MP resolution, of course! Ten MP is actually quite usable and the quality of the pixels also matters.

Best regards
Erik

« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 02:01:53 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up