Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing in/with Lion  (Read 5771 times)

douvidl

Printing in/with Lion
« on: July 27, 2012, 10:08:50 am »

I have noticed great inconsistencies in the quality of prints i get via Lion.  The '09 iMac is regularly calibrated, the profile associated with the paper is use is employed (on my Epson 3880).  Yet, the images have no red or orange tones, regardless of which icc I use and regardless of what screen profile I use.  It's almost as if Lion reverted back to a profile that was awful and wouldn't "hold" the profile I selected.
So, last night, I printed an image in CS5, that I processed in CS6.  The image was on the mark with the screen!!
THis is a new one for me.  Anyone else have this experience?  Can anyone share comments? or what?
Thanks for your efforts
David

Nora_nor

Re: Printing in/with Lion
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 04:43:30 pm »

have you tried making (saving with a different name) different presets for different papers etc  in the printer driver (or it can revert to default while you are choosing another thing in the printer driver, like quality or paper tray or roll paper)
I am using Lion too and have not had this problem but it happens that profiles or things do not stick, unless one saves some different presets

Randy Carone

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 04:49:15 pm »

David,

A couple possibilities. When you installed CS6, did you set everything in Edit > Color Settings to make sure the Working Space, CM policies, Conversion Options, etc. are set the same as before?

BTW, the screen profile has no effect on the output from the printer.
Randy Carone

francois

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 02:47:15 am »

David,
I'm printing with Macs running both 10.7 and 10.8 flavours of OS X on an Epson 3800 printer. I haven't experienced any printing problems such as you describe. I have OEM printer profiles as well as custom profiles.

First, I would follow Randy's suggestion. What does soft-proofing in Photoshop show? Have you tried from another user account (it would use new Photoshop preferences)?

Good luck and keep us posted!
Francois

douvidl

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 01:04:01 pm »

I have noticed great inconsistencies in the quality of prints i get via Lion.  The '09 iMac is regularly calibrated, the profile associated with the paper is use is employed (on my Epson 3880).  Yet, the images have no red or orange tones, regardless of which icc I use and regardless of what screen profile I use.  It's almost as if Lion reverted back to a profile that was awful and wouldn't "hold" the profile I selected.
So, last night, I printed an image in CS5, that I processed in CS6.  The image was on the mark with the screen!!
THis is a new one for me.  Anyone else have this experience?  Can anyone share comments? or what?
Thanks for your efforts
David

I wish to report that I have followed the digitaldog's advice and dumped all the prior versions of PS6 as per his directions and reloaded Lion from the Epson site.
Magically all is well and Lion is performing as advertised.  However one problem remains,  I can't find the Epson printer folder.  It is not in applications or else where.  Any thoughts?

Thanks, Dog

David

francois

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 03:36:36 am »

I wish to report that I have followed the digitaldog's advice and dumped all the prior versions of PS6 as per his directions and reloaded Lion from the Epson site.
Magically all is well and Lion is performing as advertised.  However one problem remains,  I can't find the Epson printer folder.  It is not in applications or else where.  Any thoughts?

Thanks, Dog

David

Thanks for reporting!
The Printers folder's path (in which the EPSON folder resides) is:
/Library/Printers/EPSON  or open your boot drive, then the Library folder then find the Printers folder. Inside that folder you should find your EPSON folder and other stuff.
Francois

douvidl

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 11:14:12 am »

Thanks, francoise

I found an Epson PIC folder.  Is that it?
David

francois

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 11:24:15 am »

Thanks, francoise

I found an Epson PIC folder.  Is that it?
David

David,
The folder path I gave you was the folder that lives in the system - and you should not delete (or modify) it unless you have serious printing problems.

I don't have any "Epson PIC" folder on my Mac (OS X 10.8.1 & Epson 3800).

Could you tell me what would be that folder for?
Francois

douvidl

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 01:38:00 pm »

I followed the path you suggested, Francoise, and fold Epson folder that I did not recognize.  Attached is the screen shot of the path.
David

francois

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 05:22:24 am »

David,
My bad... I also have an Epson PIC folder inside the EPSON folder. I just didn't look "deep" enough. That folder is part of the Epson drivers installation and is of no use for user interaction (means that you should not modify or delete it).

If you're looking to access the printer queue, you can do that via the Print Center, just double-click on your Epson 3880 icon.
Francois

Garnick

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 01:43:07 pm »

Francois,

Apple, in it's infinite wisdom, has hidden the User/Library folder in Lion.  You can 'unhide' it, as I and many others have done.  However, the information to do that is on my work MacPro, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to send it to you.  If you check your User(Home) folder you'll notice that the Library folder is not shown.  I assume Apple didn't want anyone messing with its contents without knowing the possible consequences.  However, some of us would rather have that control.  Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead.

OK, I just did a search on another forum and found the following information.  This link will show you how to 'unhide' the User/Library folder as well as hiding it again if you wish.  The best approach would be to copy/paste the info into Terminal, just to make sure you have it right.  There's also a little app that can be downloaded to handle this very easily with any file or folder, but I don't have the info on this computer.  I'll try to remember to send it along tomorrow from work.  I've been away for a week and can't remember the name of that app.  Once you have unhidden your user/library folder you can then see the Printers folder and the printers you have installed, as usual.  Hope this helps.

Gary
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 01:45:06 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Garnick

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 02:39:38 pm »

Another approach I had forgotten is to use the finder.  Hold down the Option key while clicking 'Go'.  This should show a shortcut to the user library(~/Library) folder, but to permanently 'unhide' it you will need to use the terminal, as mentioned previously.

Gary
Gary N.

Garnick

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 05:20:02 pm »

Sorry Francois, I forgot to include the link I referred to in my first post.  I hope this will help.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1377515&highlight=unhide+the+library+folder+in+lion

Gary
Gary N.

francois

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 05:04:05 am »

Sorry Francois, I forgot to include the link I referred to in my first post.  I hope this will help.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1377515&highlight=unhide+the+library+folder+in+lion

Gary

Thanks Gary,
I must say that I'm lazy and wrote a repeating shell script to unhide my Library folder. I don't quite understand why Apple thought that it's a good idea to hide that folder…
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up