Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How much canvas should need immediate touch up with paint or marker?  (Read 3345 times)

darlingm

• Westland Printworks

Curious to see from people who make decent volumes of canvas about what percentage (if any) of their canvas needs immediate touch up, including after it's been stretched.  I've seen a lot of discussion regarding acrylic paint and artist markers, but I'm wondering if it's realistic to be able to make the issue completely go away.  (I use acrylic paint, but am going to try a large artist marker set to avoid having to mix colors.)

I use Breathing Color Lyve, and despite not auto-cutting canvas and using an extremely powerful shop vac on the printer, I'm frustrated with how much touch up I still need to do.  I had a decent problem with flecks in the coating, but created a semi-cleanroom (no cool suits although) which has tremendously helped that issue.
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: How much canvas should need immediate touch up with paint or marker?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 02:48:40 am »

I used to have serious dust and flaking problems with my 9880, until I realized that flakes were accumulating on the plastic cover and on the metal plate under the roll.  When the machine backed up canvas into this area, the canvas would contact those surfaces and pick up flakes.  Cleaning those area with a moist towel made the problem evaporate. Almost all the flakes come from the edges as the canvas comes off the roll.  Over about a year I had built up a very impressive collection of read-to-use dust in the media area.  Have had zero media path dust problems with 8300.

For canvases like Lyve I would expect to see just a very few flakes that actually fall off the surface.  Maybe a couple flakes per roll that would show up in smooth areas like skies, max.

I almost always toss canvases that need significant retouching, even big canvases.  The exception is sometimes sky areas that I can retouch with a zillion delicate little dots from a very fine Micron Pen with a little judicious finger-tip smudging, or areas with a lot of texture,  But if I can't fix it with a black, permanent ink marker like a Micron, I don't even try.  (Don't use Sharpies, the ink is very unstable).  I gave up on acrylics and colored markers as just too futile and time consuming.   At any rate, have had much better luck retouching canvases AFTER coating, sometimes brushing on a thin coat of coating in the touch-up area or just recoating the whole canvas to reestablish surface consistency.

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 11:44:18 am »

I picked up a set of Faber-Castell Pitt big brush pigmented artist pens (box set of 48) for minor touch ups.

My definition of "minor-touchup" is any small (read very very small) area that is outside of the main subject area.  Actually it's a little more subjective than scientific;  if one dab will cover the blemish then usually I'm okay with it.  If on the other hand it takes more than 2 then I start to worry.

I've had people attempt to buy pieces that had been damaged once they were hung for display and since I don't sell seconds (I've always liked the phrase "We don't rent pigs") the piece is taken down and if it can't be corrected it's then destroyed.

Likewise every once in a while I'll have a print flake off after protecting it and before stretching.  Usually I'll destroy the print and do it over again.

I print about 98% of all our images on canvas and switched to Lyve earlier this year and have been very happy with it.  I also protect all the canvas with Glamour II.

Don

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 02:13:23 pm »

I also use the Faber-Castell Pitt pens. In addition, I use a 10x magnifying glass and make several tiny dots to fill the vacated area(s).

If i don't find the defect until after the G2 is applied, I use an xacto blade to expose the area, apply the fix and then use a very finely tipped brush to apply a little glamour 2 over the repair.

If the defect is too large, i toss it and start over. No sense in repairing something when it’s quicker to just do it over. But I admit if I’m doing a longer canvas I’ll usually try to fix before tossing.

To help reduce the problem I clean the paper path and printer internals with air in a can after every paper change.

Roscolo

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 02:42:53 pm »

Save your used ink carts. They always have a little ink left in them. Extract that ink with a needle and syringe. Use that ink to retouch or spot your canvas. Unlike anything else you would use, the actual ink is a perfect match.

enduser

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 10:22:19 pm »

On our ipf 6100 we run a non absorbent media piece through the front straight path and print just the exact area which is damaged.  You then have a tiny pool of ink identical in color to touch up with,  using a very fine artist's brush.

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 02:45:24 am »

What's a realistic target for how many canvases are going to need touch-up all the way through after stretching?  Is it something that you guys have under control so it's like 5% of your canvases, or is it going to be more like 25%?

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 03:15:26 am »

About 1 in 4 of my canvases will need some very slight repair, such as spotting small white dots in the sky with a black Micron pen.

About 1 in 10 will be a toss because of many factors, including varicose vein weave errors or mounds in the gesso which are much bigger problems for me than any flaking issue.  I only rarely have situations with a large white flake-crater in a smooth area.

Can't emphasize enough that IMHO almost all those white spot problems come from picking up crud in the work area and in media path in the printer.  Can't remember ever getting a roll of canvas that was flaky from the factory, except that almost all canvas creates flakes at the edges as the canvas unrolls, and those flakes have to cleaned up before the migrate on to the canvas surface.  Just for fun check the printer areas under where the edges of the feed roll is.  I bet you'll find some dandruff there.

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 01:39:56 am »

Thanks Bill.  Boy, do I feel better.  It feels bad to give out canvases that needed slight repair, but it's nice to know it's part of the business and can't be 100% avoided.  When I started years ago, it was a lot worse, but I quickly realized I can't use the 9900's auto cut for canvas even though the blade handles it OK.

I use an air compressor and the heaviest horsepower shop vac I could find without needing 220v to clean the 9900 out regularly, but I hadn't made the connection with the sides of the rolls.  Before I load my next roll, I might try shop vac'ing the end to see if I could pick anything up that isn't too far in the roll.
Pages: [1]   Go Up