Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying extra 3" cores, boxes, and plastic flanges from 44" rolls?  (Read 1585 times)

Nstudio

Does anyone know if someone sells the packaging that 44" inkjet roll paper comes shipped in(those 44"x3" tubes with the plastic flanges on each end in a box)? Anyplace sell that separate from buying a roll of paper? I often send unmounted photos carefully wrapped around the empty cores from the 44" inkjet paper rolls. Same way as the paper comes when They ship it to you. It's the safest way I've found but my supply depends on how much paper I consume obviously. Can I buy the packaging separate from the paper somewhere? Or do any of you in the new York city or bk area have a couple empties I could snag From you? thanks!

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
Re: Buying extra 3" cores, boxes, and plastic flanges from 44" rolls?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 09:36:24 am »

Instead of doing the whole box and core thing, how about just rolling the print and sticking it inside a tube? That's how I ship them.

www.uline.com sells tubes of various lengths and diameters. If you pack the print in there with a little bit of bubble wrap on either end they travel fine.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 10:58:52 am »

In my experience the 3" cores go faster than the square carton tube boxes so I ordered extra 3" cores.  If a customer collects his prints and has reasonable transport "a car" then I roll the print on a 3" core in the decurler style and wind some extra layers of bubble foil around that again. If there are more prints of a smaller size then they are transported as a flat package with board on each side as protection.

If you mail more you could consider winding on a 3" core decurler style and then bubble foil wraps till it fits tight inside a heavier 5" core. I do that when all my square boxes are gone. Both 3 and 5" cores are some inches longer than the 44" width I can print as a maximum.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

Dinkla Grafische Techniek
Quad,piëzografie,giclée
www.pigment-print.com

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 11:53:15 am »

The companies that sell packaging material usually stock very thick wall tubes up to about 4" in diameter.  They will cut them to any length, or you can easily make clean cuts with a thin "Japanese style" saw from a home supply store.  They also can supply plastic caps for the end.  The ones I use have wall about 7mm thick and my 100lb helper can stand on the sides without collapsing it, and what that sight that is.  Have never had an insurance claim from those tubes which seems like a small miracle in contrast to shipping large, framed pieces.
Pages: [1]   Go Up