Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H4D 31  (Read 7565 times)

woof75

Hasselblad H4D 31
« on: July 26, 2012, 08:59:05 am »

Hi, anyone have any experience with this camera? How is it? Can I use it with Capture one, if not, how's the Hasselblad software? Any issues? How's skin tones compared to the phase backs? I use M9's at the moment but could do with a good tethered solution.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Hasselblad H4D 31
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 09:18:22 am »

Capture One can tether (directly) to any Phase One or Leaf digital back regardless of what body they are on. It can not tether to any other brand of digital back.

It can also tether directly to most Canon and Nikon dSLRs. It can also indirectly tether to most other pro cameras via hot-folder, including your M9, though that body does not perform especially quickly as a tethered camera.

Similar backs which would tether to Capture One:
- Phase One P30+H on an H1, H2, or H4X
- Phase One P40+H on an H1, H2, or H4X
- Phase One IQ140H on an H1, H2, or H4X
- Mamiya Leaf Aptus 75s on an H1 or H2
- Mamiya Leaf Aptus-II 8 on an H1 or H2
- Mamiya Leaf Aptus-II 7 on an H1 or H2
- Mamiya Leaf Aptus-II 6 on an H1 or H2
- Mamiya Leaf Credo 40 on an H1, H2, or H4X

Someone else I'm sure (and hope) will answer you more directly about the pros and cons of the back you inquired about.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 09:23:38 am by Doug Peterson »

JV

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 09:44:06 am »

- Mamiya Leaf Credo 40 on an H1, H2, or H4X

Hi Doug,

Is there an official communication from Mamiya Leaf that says that the Mamiya Leaf Credo is supported on H4X?

The Mamiya Leaf website only lists H1 and H2.

Thanks, Joris.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 10:06:45 am »

Hi Doug,

Is there an official communication from Mamiya Leaf that says that the Mamiya Leaf Credo is supported on H4X?

The Mamiya Leaf website only lists H1 and H2.

Thanks, Joris.

Hi Joris, the Credo works on the H4X

BR

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 03:28:26 pm »

Hi, anyone have any experience with this camera? How is it? Can I use it with Capture one, if not, how's the Hasselblad software? Any issues? How's skin tones compared to the phase backs? I use M9's at the moment but could do with a good tethered solution.

The Hasselblad is not equivalent to other solutions. Phase One's software is probably superior to everything else, and the backs are cutting edge, but IMHO the cameras are a bit ancient; the Hassies are more modern, in my opinion focus is *much* better  and the lenses are all leaf shutter.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

JV

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 07:27:40 pm »

How's skin tones compared to the phase backs?

You can find some sample files on the website of Hasselblad:
http://www.hasselblad.com/promotions/sample-file-images.aspx

FredBGG

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 09:53:46 pm »

You can find some sample files on the website of Hasselblad:
http://www.hasselblad.com/promotions/sample-file-images.aspx

Don't judge the skin tones of the Hasselblad by those terrible examples.
The makeup is really pasty and dusty.

All three.. Phase, Leaf and Hasselblad produce great skin tones, better than most 35mm DSLR cameras, but matched by some of the newest 35mm DSLR cameras.

woof75

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 02:43:34 am »

hmm, maybe a h4X with a phase back is the way to go. I'd like 30mp minimun but I need a fast shoot rate, like every second. I've used capture one for ever and do love it. It would be a pain to learn new software. There's such good deals on a H4D 31 with a 35 to 90mm zoom though.. If only a D800 would do the job, I just like the tonality of the digital backs and my Leica M9..

Douglas Fairbank

• Retired Hasselblad service technician
    • Classic V
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 04:00:34 am »

Hasselblad's software is free and unlimited to download from the Hasselblad website. The latest versions of Phocus have many new great features but don't take my word for it check it out, it works with other image formats as well, not just Hasselblad native and the integration with the iphone and ipad apps give fantastic mobility. If you haven't seen Phocus for a year or two I do encourage you to look again, I think you will be impressed and it will cost you nothing but a little time. ALL Hasselblad software (including Photoshop plugins) are free of charge to everybody!!!!  ;D

One word of warning you will need a machine with very good graphics capability!
Douglas Fairbank LRPS

Doug Peterson

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 11:28:22 am »

hmm, maybe a h4X with a phase back is the way to go. I'd like 30mp minimun but I need a fast shoot rate, like every second. I've used capture one for ever and do love it.

P40+, P65+, IQ140, IQ160, Credo 40, Credo 60 all have sustained capture rates of 1 fps or faster, work great in Capture One, are over 30mp, and work on an H4X. Personally I really like the 65+/IQ160/Credo-60 as the sensor is full frame (no crop in the viewfinder), but obviously there are pros and cons to each.

I think you'll be very pleased with the shot-to-preview speed, and the time-to-clear-buffer-after-extended-fast-shooting of these backs tethered to C1, especially the IQ140 and Credo 40.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 11:30:19 am by Doug Peterson »

FredBGG

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 02:26:32 pm »

P40+, P65+, IQ140, IQ160, Credo 40, Credo 60 all have sustained capture rates of 1 fps or faster, work great in Capture One, are over 30mp, and work on an H4X. Personally I really like the 65+/IQ160/Credo-60 as the sensor is full frame (no crop in the viewfinder), but obviously there are pros and cons to each.

I think you'll be very pleased with the shot-to-preview speed, and the time-to-clear-buffer-after-extended-fast-shooting of these backs tethered to C1, especially the IQ140 and Credo 40.

If you go with MF digital take Doug's advice and go with full frame. The latest Digital 35mm DSLR cameras such as the d800 match the skin tone quality if MFD, actually marginally better on black skin. The advantage you would have with MFD is the larger sensor. No point going with 44x33 sensors as they as the size difference combined with lenses that are not as fast really makes no significant visual difference  from a 24x36 sensor with the latest best lenses from Canon, Nikon and Leica.

The H4x with the 110mm f2.2 and a full frame sensor a very worthy option. Outstanding Fujinon bokeh and very clean rendering when stopped down.
However I would not buy anything till after Photokina.

woof75

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 02:57:24 pm »

Have you actually shot a P40+? I shot one on a campaign about a year ago and it was horrendously slow, like a frame every 2 seconds slow and that was tethered to a super high spec macbook pro with SSD. It was very frustrating.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 08:52:58 pm »

Have you actually shot a P40+? I shot one on a campaign about a year ago and it was horrendously slow, like a frame every 2 seconds slow and that was tethered to a super high spec macbook pro with SSD. It was very frustrating.

I have in fact shot with the P40+.  Once or twice (or a few dozen times) ;D

Don't know what was up with that setup (without more details), but if you were getting 1 frame per 2 seconds then something was wrong. I'm away from my notes but off the top of my head you should be able to get something like 60-65 frames per minute (real world) from a tethered P40+.

You're in New York right? I'd be happy to show you.

vampire

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 11:03:07 pm »

Doug can show you how to get that system working like it should.
I have a P30+ with an H4x and REALLY love the combination. I switched from a DF camera to an H4x and I'm much happier with it. The autofocus is the most accurate system that I've used. That includes Canon/Nikon systems, it's obviously not as fast as those. But for portraits with the 100 2.2, the TF abilities are amazing.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 09:57:23 am by vampire »

woof75

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 09:24:09 am »

I have in fact shot with the P40+.  Once or twice (or a few dozen times) ;D

Don't know what was up with that setup (without more details), but if you were getting 1 frame per 2 seconds then something was wrong. I'm away from my notes but off the top of my head you should be able to get something like 60-65 frames per minute (real world) from a tethered P40+.

You're in New York right? I'd be happy to show you.

Weird, yes it was slow with me. Thanks for the offer but I'm actually usually in London nowadays. I may take a test drive of a D800E some time and see if I can get on with it. Thus far I've never got on with files from CMOS sensors, I find they can't be pushed contrast wise without falling apart and also find the tonality to be a little unrefined. Maybe the D800 will be different, we'll see..
Pages: [1]   Go Up