Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: USB 3 CF/sd Card Reader  (Read 2760 times)

marcmccalmont

USB 3 CF/sd Card Reader
« on: July 24, 2012, 11:30:35 pm »

Any recommendations on a high speed usb 3.0 card reader? I hear the lexars are fast but don't recognize 32 gb CF cards?
Thanks
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
Re: USB 3 CF/sd Card Reader
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 12:55:55 am »

My new Lexar Professional USB 3.0 CF/SD reader works perfectly with all of my CF cards, including my 32gb Transcend card.    I also have not tried any SD cards in the reader.  My first USB card reader, a Transcend TS-RDF8, worked perfectly except with my 32gb Transcend card.  It took over 30 minutes to copy less than 200mb of data from the card when plugged into a USB 3.0 port.  When connected to a USB 2.0 port the download speed was at a normal USB2.0 rate.  It was very fast with all other cards (16gb, 4gb, 2gb, 1gb) on USB 3.0. I only have one 32gb card, so I can not attest if this is with all 32gb cards.  I contacted Transcend Germany about the problem and the rep said that the problem had been forwarded to their engineers in Taiwan.  2 weeks later, I made contact again and was informed that the engineers could not duplicate my problem.  They suggested that I download a new usb 3.0 driver and replace the cable.

I thought this was silly since the reader works perfectly with all cards except the one TRANSCEND 32gb card at usb 3.0 speeds.  So, I bought the Lexar and am very pleased.  I informed Transcend that the problem is indeed a compatibility problem between their own card and their own reader based on the fact that Lexar's reader works perfectly with the Transcend 32gb card.  The rep responded wishing me many years of happiness using my Lexar reader....LOL.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 01:19:05 am »

If an internal card reader works for you then you might be interested in this review I wrote on the Koutech RCM630.  It consistently performs well in over 25 builds and accepts everything I can throw at it..

----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

mac_paolo

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 05:44:54 am »

I have the Lexar Professional USB 3 reader too. I'm running it on an older mid-2010 MBP, so USB 2.0.
No problem with a Transcend 32GB CF 400X nor with a Sandisk Extreme SDXC 32GB 45MB/s.
Top quality as usual.
Pages: [1]   Go Up