Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Uncertain  (Read 1341 times)

RobbieV

• My work.
Uncertain
« on: July 24, 2012, 10:15:26 pm »

15mm f8

popnfresh

Re: Uncertain
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 01:36:02 am »

The use of a wide angle lens in this setting makes the person sitting on the ground look oddly out of proportion to his surroundings. It's actually an interesting effect.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 01:46:52 am by popnfresh »

JohnAONeill

• http://www.johnanthonyoneill.com
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 09:39:19 am »

Interesting shot. I think I would like to see this cropped tighter on the left. Taking the subject out of the normal rules of composition and placing him close to the edge of the photograph. For me the bright area is competing for too much attention. Pity the guy was not slightly more out in the lit area.

Regards
John

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 10:21:05 am »

The use of a wide angle lens in this setting makes the person sitting on the ground look oddly out of proportion to his surroundings. It's actually an interesting effect.

Okay, Pop, what have you got against little people?

Rob C

nemo295

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 04:04:50 pm »

Okay, Pop, what have you got against little people?

Rob C

I have it on good authority that Pop has left the building.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 06:18:24 pm »

I like the way you got the guy at the apex of the shadow triangle. As Pop pointed out, the wide angle lens made this more than a humdrum picture of a guy on a street.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 02:15:52 pm »

I like the way you got the guy at the apex of the shadow triangle. As Pop pointed out, the wide angle lens made this more than a humdrum picture of a guy on a street.

There were two things that worked together to produce this image (which prevented it from being another street candid of an old person).

I had recently read the Antarctic posts on here that Michael had written (I read a lot of the articles on here because I often find tidbits of shooting inspiration in old LF reviews and trip write ups) that mentioned how Michael liked to shoot animals in their interaction with the landscape as opposed to portraits. I decided to follow this lead and apply it to the scene I saw in Montreal.

I had also just purchased a new 15mm lens that I wanted to get used to, so I was walking around the city with it on my camera (and my 50mm in my pocket). I saw the scene and decided to leave the 15mm on and capture more of the environment since the lighting, angles and scene interested me.

Just a little background for anyone interested.

I agree that a crop to remove some of the right side of the image would clean things up a bit.

I will also experiment with your suggestion John.

Thanks everyone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up