Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any word on a 3880 replacement?  (Read 4494 times)

One Frame at a Time

Any word on a 3880 replacement?
« on: July 24, 2012, 03:23:32 pm »

Been searching and not finding anything.  If a new printer is coming, when does Epson usually release information or get found out?

Thanks,

P

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Any word on a 3880 replacement?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 05:16:59 pm »

Why would they want to replace a printer that is as reliable as this one in terms of build and lack of clogging?  The only step up is to go to the added ink set but without the roll handling capabilities of the 4900 but the 4900 isn't all that much more expensive when you take into account the larger ink cartridges.  I'm a happy 3880 owner and given the issues that have been publicized on this forum with the 4900 (clogs), I don't see any rationale for an upgrade nor do I see why Epson would want to change a good thing.

lfeagan

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 06:08:37 pm »

Barring the creation of emissive inks, you aren't likely to see anything more than incremental advancements of ink jet technology at this stage using the papers we have at present. Emissive inks would be a pretty ridiculously wicked technology. "Ah, my eyes! The sun in this picture is blinding me!"

On a more serious note, the only thing most users of this forum do not have in their printer is metallic inks. While there are printers that have metallics, for landscape/nature prints they wouldn't be particularly useful. Highly-reflective surfaces tend to be man-made.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:15:34 pm by lfeagan »
Lance

Nikon: D700, D800E, PC-E 24mm f/3.5D ED, PC-E 45mm f/2.8D ED, PC-E 85mm f/2.8D, 50mm f/1.4G, 14-24 f/2.8G ED, 24-70 f/2.8G ED, 70-200 f/2.8G ED VR II, 400mm f/2.8G ED VR
Fuji: X-Pro 1, 14mm f/2.8, 18mm f/2.0, 35mm f/1.4

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 07:20:43 pm »

If a new printer is coming, when does Epson usually release information or get found out?

When they release a press release...

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 10:11:43 am »

The 4900 has been out for about a year, maybe a little longer.  It does have roll capability as well as a cassette feeder on the front bottom.  You can also feed sheets from the top (one at a time).  In a way, this is the replacement for the 3880 for now.  They are both great printers for sure.  The company I work for is a reseller and we've been selling a good amount of both models.

The inks on the 4900 are more than double the size of the 3880 with the O&G.  We also do a lot of printing on it with very little issues.
We would have heard from Epson if they were coming out with a new model replacing certain models.  But nothing as of now.

Chris W

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 11:22:09 am »

"Why would they want to replace a printer that is as reliable as this one in terms of build and lack of clogging?"

Never stopped them before. This is a market driven by "new and advanced" (whether that is even really true with each upgrade).
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

VW1764

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 11:27:02 am »

My 3880 hasn't clogged yet; it sits unused for months.  The only thing left to improve on is eliminate GD.

lfeagan

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 11:35:47 am »

My 3880 hasn't clogged yet; it sits unused for months.  The only thing left to improve on is eliminate GD.

Showoff! ;D My 7900 consistently requires a basic cleaning every time I go to print (generally once per week). Sigh...
Lance

Nikon: D700, D800E, PC-E 24mm f/3.5D ED, PC-E 45mm f/2.8D ED, PC-E 85mm f/2.8D, 50mm f/1.4G, 14-24 f/2.8G ED, 24-70 f/2.8G ED, 70-200 f/2.8G ED VR II, 400mm f/2.8G ED VR
Fuji: X-Pro 1, 14mm f/2.8, 18mm f/2.0, 35mm f/1.4

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 02:40:55 pm »

The 4900 is not in the running too big and heavy.  We may move in the near future so its a non-starter.  Also, for now, I dont see bigger cartridges as an advantage.  I'll  be lucky to use the 80ml ones before they expire.  I like the reports of no clogs.  There are times that it will sit unused for a prolonged period. Avoiding clogs is a biggie. 

I'm sort of surprised that the 4900 went a step backwards on this.  Maybe I'm naive but I pretty much figure anything in the tech world that is newer is always better, and faster than its older siblings.....

Thanks for all the response!!

Paul

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 03:03:51 pm »

My 3880 hasn't clogged yet; it sits unused for months.

Same here. Very dry conditions most of the time but humidity is up this time of year for Monsoons. What IS odd is my 4900 has been far more problematic in terms of clogs. Go figure.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

David Good

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 05:00:02 pm »

Epson built a winner with the 3880, excellent output, light enough to move or place on a regular desk, and clog virtually free. In the year and a half that I have had mine I have probably had two minor clogs, and it will go for a week or two without printing. They will have to really pull a rabbit out of the hat to improve on this puppy (at this price point).

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 09:05:49 pm »

I think any printer will clog if the humidity gets too high, but I do most of my printing within A/C and very rarely get clogs on my 4900.  I usually do a quick cleaning if it's been left for a week or more, but other than that, I don't do any 'regular' maintenance to it and it works flawlessly every time.  Works great on roll and sheets and is a real workhorse.  I'm lucky enough to be putting through enough work that the 200ml cartridges are perfect.
Mike Guilbault

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 07:48:12 am »

I'm a bit confused about a couple things.  One response here indicates that the 3880 can go unused for months yet others with the 4900 talk of significant clogs with only 2 weeks of sitting unused.  Its hard to imagine the two printers or the inks are that different from each other.  I will be leaving this printer unused for months at a time.  Is it reasonable to expect it to handle my schedule?? 

My only experience with printers to date are dye based - Epson 1270 and 1400.  What if anything needs to be done with the Ultra Chrome inks?  Do they settle out and need agitating?   With rare exception, I have never had a problem with clogging.

Also, its mentioned that high humidity contributes to clogging??  I would have thought that low humidity would have been the culprit?  I was thinking I could move the printer into my cool basement for long term storage to avoid clogging.  But the humidity is higher in that space.

Thanks!

Randy Carone

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 10:00:25 am »

I have an Epson 3800 that sits for up to 4 weeks, turned off and unused. I turn it on and print. Half way through the first print I wonder if I should have done a nozzle check. No problem. It does not clog. BTW, do nozzle checks. :)
Regarding humidity - my experience is the opposite of Mike's. I believe low humidity leads to more clogs, or need for a quick cleaning, than high humidity. I have advised many customers to add a Venta humidifier to their work area and the feedback has been very positive.
Randy Carone

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 11:19:53 am »

I have owned a 3880 for about 18 months now and it has never had a clog.  I'm on the third set of most inks (and 4th set for a couple of them).  My printing tends to be sporadic and I've left the printer off for as long as 3 months, started it up and printed (though if it has been that long, I usually gently agitate the print cartridges though given their design I am not sure that this is really required).  My printer is in the family room which is the lowest level in our house here in suburban Washington DC.  I do not do anything special to control the temperature and humidity other than running a dehumidifier in the summer to keep it down.  Winter, spring, summer or fall, nothing seems to bother it at all!

As to the difference between the 4900 and the 3880, there is clearly a design difference on two counts:  1) two extra inks and 2) a different print head that has smaller droplets of ink.  It may be the head design has something to do with clogging.  If you are going to be an intermittent printer, you should go with the 3880 (it's also a lot lighter than the 4900).

kim

• http://www.digitalphotoguide.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 08:47:12 am »

My 3800 has been very well behaved - had it 3 years and just had its first clog on a nozzle check which was cleared after one head cleaning.

When it comes to replacing it I'd like Epson to make a variant of the 38xx that will print 24 inch width. The 3880 only goes up to 17 inch and something bigger would be worthwhile.
Pages: [1]   Go Up