Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding more water  (Read 2395 times)

churly

Adding more water
« on: July 23, 2012, 06:00:45 pm »

Mouth of a small river that empties into the bay.  This was shot at high tide so the fresh and sea water are in competition.

Thanks for having a look.  CC welcome.

Chuck Hurich

Mjollnir

Re: Adding more water
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 06:18:47 pm »

While I'm getting rather tired of the long(ish) exposure cotton-candy look on water, the color palette of gray and orange is quite nice, as is the detail in the rocks.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 07:43:32 pm »

Call me a frustrated painter, but I feel the horizon is too dark in proportion to the nearby areas.  It kind of presses down on the image.  Here's an attempt to add some atmospheric haze.  It also shifts the weight of image down towards the main area.  You can just ignore me, I'm going through a phase.

Edit...I neglected to say, terrific composition and great color!

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 07:50:53 pm by bill t. »

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 07:52:10 pm »

I like the shot, but have to ask, was that lit with a strobe?
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 01:59:56 am »

Call me a frustrated painter, but I feel the horizon is too dark in proportion to the nearby areas.  It kind of presses down on the image.  Here's an attempt to add some atmospheric haze.  It also shifts the weight of image down towards the main area.  You can just ignore me, I'm going through a phase.

Edit...I neglected to say, terrific composition and great color!

I really like the colours in the water, and  I must admit I like what Bill's done with the background to make it less obvious, but I'm still disturbed by the area above the waterline on the left half of the image.  There's a white line just above the horizon that I can't see a reason for.  The foreground is brilliant, however.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

churly

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 11:02:23 am »

Thanks for the comments.  They are instructive as usual.

Mjollnir - I understand about the long exposures and have a few thoughts on that.  The reason we are seeing lots of long exposures is because they are an easy way to simplfy and easy to make.  I shoot moving water a lot because I enjoy it, but in low light you have to work at pretty high shutter speeds (and ISO) to really freeze the motion.  I have a lot of 'sort of' frozen water shots that end up looking crunchy and it is easy (not to say better) to fall back on longer exposures.

bill t.  - Thanks for working on this.  I like the lighter horizon.

Walt - no strobe but the sun is just on the horizon off the upper right of the right of the image.  The flash in the water on the right side is a reflection off of the smooth water.  I lightend up the back side of the big rock that in the middle serves as the focal point - perhaps a bit too much.

Mike - the white line.  Not sure what to say about that.  The line is in the raw versions of all of the shots I took in that period of about 15 minutes that contain the horizon so it is not something I created in processing.  I was shooting with a grad but it extended into the water.
Chuck Hurich

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 02:44:44 am »

One thing I like about flowing water on this site is that it is usually done thoughtfully. The exposures aren't long just for the sake of the effect, but to convey movement. This is a good example.

That white line looks like natural haze to me.

Nice shot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up