Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bozeman, MT  (Read 4427 times)

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
Bozeman, MT
« on: July 23, 2012, 02:18:17 pm »

Hi,

My wife and I taking a trip the first week of Oct. to visit a friend of her's in Bozeman, so I will have a couple of day there for short day trips before we head for Yellowstone and areas. Any interesting short field trips that are local to Bozeman that I should look into? Thanks for any advice.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Re: Bozeman, MT
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 12:21:42 pm »

I don’t know a lot about the area but flew into the local airport several times on my way to Big Sky resort. I recommend the trip between Bozeman and the Big Sky area. It is only about 1.5 hours and gets you to some of the highest elevations in the area. In October you will see some fully awesome fall color displays and likely some snow as well.

There is a fairly large herd if (that’s the right word) of long horn mountain goats in the area. I remember coming to a stop at an intersection near Big Sky and seeing what looked like 20 amazingly intricate life-sized statues of these brutes. And then some of the “statues” moved.

There are also elk, deer and most other typical high elevation critters in the area. They say the stream fishing is some of the best to be found.

BTW a couple of restaurants at the resort used to have some of the best baby back ribs I’ve ever had, including the stuff I make.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 12:23:16 pm by Justan »

PDobson

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 01:25:21 pm »

I recommend you visit Hyalite Canyon while you're in Bozeman. It's one of my favorite places.

Hyalite is extremely popular in the summertime with hikers and sightseers. That said, the area becomes truly magical during winter. Snowfall imparts a stillness to the canyon, and countless streams of ice come down the cliffs and gullies. This small area has the highest concentration of consistent waterfall ice in the lower-48, and it's a mecca for climbers around the world.

October is pretty early for ice formation. Hyalite ice season usually doesn't get rolling until Halloween. Even so, the canyon will still be very winter-y feeling and 'cicles will be forming (I hope).

Phillip Dobson
Butte, MT

PDobson

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 01:32:25 pm »

I would also like to remind you to be prepared for smoke. The fires in Idaho have visibility here limited to about a mile on most days. I hear that Bozeman isn't as bad, but there is a fire just east in Pine Creek. The positive is that we have beautiful sunset colors all day, but don't expect sweeping vistas.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 02:22:54 pm »

Thanks, I am hoping that some of the storms this week may help clear the air a bit, thanks for the advice I will give it all a try.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 01:34:46 pm »

Ach! It's a bit late now but Bozeman is the town synonymous with Phaedrus and his inquiry into  quality in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. There are one or two snaps of the place on the web but it would have be good to get a better feel of the place, if you do come back with any good 'uns please share!  :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 02:12:57 pm by Justinr »

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 03:31:40 pm »

Funny I never took any snaps in Bozeman, I took a bunch in surrounding areas, it was snowing on the morning we left, but it was nice in Yellowstone when we arrived in Gardiner.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA
Pages: [1]   Go Up