Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple needs to make an IMac like HP  (Read 14469 times)

VW1764

Apple needs to make an IMac like HP
« on: July 22, 2012, 05:54:05 pm »

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Desktops/HP-Omni-All-in-One/B2B86UT?HP-Z1-Workstation-ENERGY-STAR-

Apple is known for always having the nicer designs and their products just work, why can't they emulate HP with this all in one?  Does anybody own one of these?  I'm just getting ready to pull the trigger, almost bought another IMac (27" this time) but after seeing the specs on the the HP Z1 I can't see any reason to buy the IMac...  I'm curious who has the better screen?  This is the way an AIO should be built, the Z1 is so easy to upgrade, as easy as a desktop for the basic components.  I am not generally a huge fan of all in anything, but this will be nice.

Vance
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 11:12:26 am by VW1764 »

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Re: Apple needs to make nn IMac like HP
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 05:57:27 pm »

Looks fine, but they're promoting Windows Internet Explorer as a positive selling point - shome mishtake, shurely <hic>

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 06:09:44 pm »

no firewire or Thunderbolt...

It is good you can put in some new stuff..

But if i buy a workstation i will like to put a raid0 in it and choose my own screen that I can replace as soon as 4k screens arrive
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

mediumcool

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 06:57:44 am »

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Desktops/HP-Omni-All-in-One/B2B86UT?HP-Z1-Workstation-ENERGY-STAR-

Apple is known for always having the nicer designs and their products just work, why can't they emulate HP with this all in one?  Does anybody own one of these?  I'm just getting ready to pull the trigger, almost bought another IMac (27" this time) but after seeing the specs on the the HP Z1 I can't see any reason to buy the IMac...  I'm curious who has the better screen?  This is the way an AIO should be built, the Z1 is so easy to upgrade, as easy as a desktop for the basic components.  I am not generally a huge fan of all in anything, but this will be nice.

Vance

Isn’t the OS an important consideration? You can run Win apps on a Mac by using emulation or Boot Camp, but you cannot do the reverse at all easily, or legally.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

tastar

• http://www.tastarsupply.com
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 08:52:39 am »

It looks like a nice machine, but it's pricey. And, I would make sure that the display has on-screen controls - HP's 27 inch ZR2740W display (that will also display billions of colors) doesn't, so it really can't be accurately calibrated. An iMac screen will display millions of colors (not billions) - approximately sRGB - and it doesn't have on-screen controls, so it can't be accurately calibrated. I.E. if the HP doesn't have on-screen controls, then, even though the display may have the potential to display more colors that an iMac, they are in the same class re. color accuracy.

When HP builds a workstation class computer, they do a very good job of it, so I'm guessing that this would be robust as well. But, for the price, you can get a traditional HP workstation, like the Z220 with a Xeon E3-1240V2 (about the same speed as the Xeon 1245) for around $1600.00 US, and can add a non-HP 27 inch AdobeRGB display with on-screen controls that can be calibrated. And, as mentioned by kers above, even though you can add a few things to this All-in-One, with a Z220, you'll have the flexibility of a tower style case, with lots of expandability.

When you compare any workstation class HP to an iMac, the iMac will come up short for professional use - the iMac is designed for consumers, and provides the features that consumers want - including not being able to take it apart, like an extremely clean design (inside and out), and great functionality for home use. But, if you've been a Mac person, I would personally stick with a Mac.

Tony

mediumcool

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 09:10:14 am »

… the iMac is designed for consumers, and provides the features that consumers want

Or should that be need?

… including not being able to take it apart …

Or is that not wanting to?

… like an extremely clean design (inside and out), and great functionality for home use.

Many pros use iMacs.

But, if you've been a Mac person, I would personally stick with a Mac.

This is the biggie.  :)

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 09:13:18 am »

It doesn't need OSD, it uses a direct connection to make adjustments through the calibration software.

VW1764

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 10:55:10 am »

I use both Mac and Win, the Macs run Windows.  I usually build my own systems but like AIO for certain applications.  I'm agnostic when it comes to OS, though I believe Windows is equal for usability, some programs I use aren't available via Mac.  I do own a couple Imacs and have become frustrated at the difficulty in upgrading or repairing them.  I realize quite a few here own IMacs as do I, was hoping to find an HP owner?

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 12:28:25 pm »

It's a nice touch that you can upgrade more components on it -- I have wanted to change the hard disks on our iMacs (ram is already user upgradeable) but I'm too lazy too bother. And the adjustable stand is nice.

The Z1 does have some drawbacks though for home use -- it's 47lbs compared with 30lbs for the iMac. Hence I can't see my wife trying to move this on her own. Also when you look at the profile, it seems incredibly thick -- many places use iMacs where they are visible to visitors/clients and the look is definitely a factor.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 05:01:51 pm »

It's a nice touch that you can upgrade more components on it -- I have wanted to change the hard disks on our iMacs (ram is already user upgradeable) but I'm too lazy too bother. And the adjustable stand is nice.

The Z1 does have some drawbacks though for home use -- it's 47lbs compared with 30lbs for the iMac. Hence I can't see my wife trying to move this on her own. Also when you look at the profile, it seems incredibly thick -- many places use iMacs where they are visible to visitors/clients and the look is definitely a factor.

I just had the optical drive in my 27" i5 2009 iMac removed and a 256GB SSD (from OWC) installed in it's place.  The SSD is now the boot /applications drive and the existign internal drive is my scratch and hot projects drive.  I studied up and decided I could do the swap & installation work but chose to have a Apple authorized repair center do the work. Cost was $150 and I used that afternoon for a marketing binge. End results:  a much faster machine (I had already installed 16GB RAM in it) and the time spent marketing earned me a new client or two.

mediumcool

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 09:53:18 pm »

(I
Cost was $150 and I used that afternoon for a marketing binge. End results: a much faster machine …

Not a lot to pay in the scheme of things. But there will always be those who want to do the building and/or upgrades themselves, and if that floats somebody’s boat, that’s good.

Or you could have bought some suction cups;)

VW1764

Re: Apple needs to make an IMac like HP
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 11:21:06 am »

The one part of Apple I detest is they make most of their products without the ability to upgrade them.  Seriously, $150 to swap out a hard drive?  It takes me less than 5 minutes to swap a hard drive.  I was going to buy a MBPR, but you can't upgrade anything, what a display!    This HP AIO is truly a much nicer mousetrap and Apple should make their Imacs this way.  After using Win8  for awhile I think Apple's market share is going to grow immensely.

Vance
PS, duct tape works great for removing the IMac glass

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 11:24:03 am »

After using Win8  for awhile I think Apple's market share is going to grow immensely.

THAT is the truth.  Unfortunately.

VW1764

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 11:48:53 am »

THAT is the truth.  Unfortunately.

Did you have to Google how to shut down Win 8?  How ridiculous.  I can't figure out what MS is doing.  I'm staying with Win 7 until they fix 8.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 03:41:36 pm »

After getting over the shock, I really like Metro, especially on multi monitor setups:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/the-metro-haters-guide-to-customizing-windows-8-consumer-preview/4610

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 04:27:40 pm »

Not a lot to pay in the scheme of things. But there will always be those who want to do the building and/or upgrades themselves, and if that floats somebody’s boat, that’s good.

Or you could have bought some suction cups! 

I have suction cups strong enough to hold a good sized DSLR, lens  and tripod head on the side of a car or on a window. That wasn't the issue.  ;D

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 04:42:21 pm »

You fools! How stupid must you be to buy Apple? I built a PC out of used egg cartons, some sticky-back plastic & an old TV set, with some bits bought from a local junk shop. Much cheaper than a Mac, and easily user-upgradeable. You Apple fan-bois have more money than sense. And another thing ... (intemperate PC-user rant continued on page 96)

mediumcool

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 11:01:52 pm »

You fools! How stupid must you be to buy Apple? I built a PC out of used egg cartons, some sticky-back plastic & an old TV set, with some bits bought from a local junk shop. Much cheaper than a Mac, and easily user-upgradeable. You Apple fan-bois have more money than sense. And another thing ... (intemperate PC-user rant continued on page 96)

:o
Pages: [1]   Go Up