Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: America Southwest trip  (Read 28672 times)

Peter McLennan

Re: America Southwest trip
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2012, 11:18:46 am »

Rt 12 it is! ...

which would you take the Highest IQ lenses that require a tripod or the stabilized lenses for those instances where your hand held, wildlife etc?

You won't be disappointed in US 12.  The piece just E of Escalante is worth the price of admission alone.

Conspicuous by its absence from the list is the Waterpocket Fold, accessed by the Burr Trail Road, off US 12 just south of Boulder, UT.  The Burr Trail Road is paved for quite a distance now, and the switchbacks just before entering the Waterpocket Fold are as much fun as the Moki Dugway.  A few hours invested in this bit of highway will provide good returns.  The road turns to gravel (albeit excellent surface) after the switchbacks and continuing north up the WPF, allows entry to Capitol Reef NP through some very unique and interesting locations.

As for hand-held wildlife lenses, I don't think you'll see much wildlife other than birds.  I certainly haven't, but I'm usually there in Spring.  I'd concentrate on landscape hardware.

camilla

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2012, 01:19:49 pm »

Hi
if you look above on the thread I gave you a name for a tour guide company in Monument Valley. I've been using them for over 25 years.
www.danielsguidedtours.com
danielsguidedtours@gmail.com
435 727 3227
You need to specify with all the tour companies that you are a photographer and need a certain schedule (very early for sunrise or sunset tours etc.)

For North Coyote Buttes there is a lottery system (you are too late for that) but you could try the lottery in person in Kanab. You may get lucky. However it's quite a long trek and you mentioned you did not want to do that.
You can try for tickets for the Coyote Buttes South (check availability online, as they are often available). You probably need a guide to get into the area because of the road issues---but after that, it is only a 20 minute walk to get into the general area-- then you need to explore. That would be the name of the guide I gave you for the Page area. Jackson Bridges at Overland Tours.

To photograph Route 12 you have to scout the area and decide what to photograph. Calf Creek Falls are gorgeous but a hike... Devil's Garden is easy to access off Hole in the Rock Road. No issue with that. I would recommend having reserved accomodations are there are few and tend to be booked at that time of the year. Escalante and Cannonville have a few places as also Torrey which is already in Capitol Reef. Boulder Mountain is gorgeous if the aspens are turning at the time you are there. The Burr Trail and the entire area of Capitol Reef is spectacular. Cathedral Valley etc. Get a good map at the Visitor's Center as roads are poorly marked. Also ask if the washes are passable.

camilla

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2012, 01:22:44 pm »

Oh forgot to mention that undoubtedly Route 12 and then 24-- off 24 you have Goblin Valley... not too much walking to pjhotograph that either.

Sangio

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2012, 01:04:34 pm »

Hi Marc:

If you’re still watching this thread, I have some additional comments:

If you’re stopping at Goblin Valley, you’re only 6 miles away from Little Wild Horse Canyon.  It’s in Martres book, worth a quick visit.

Hotels tend to fill up early, especially the park lodges.  If you’re winging it for maximum flexibility, call ahead once you decide where your next stop will be.

If you have pollen allergies, bring your medication.  Pharmacies are few and far between.  I’m not sure how bad allergies will be in September, but in May, my allergies were much worse than back home (central Canada).

The air is very dry.  Bring some good hand cream and use it liberally.  The skin around my fingernails started to crack and bleed after the first week.  Lip balm is also good to bring.

If you’re planning on some hikes in Bryce, don’t underestimate how strenuous a hike at 9000 ft elevation can be.

Protect your gear from the dust and particulates in the air.  The worst we encountered was at Monument Valley; and especially in Upper Antelope Canyon where the morons were throwing dust up in the air to enhance the light beams.  After our visit to the upper canyon, the zoom ring in my unprotected lens jammed up because of the fine sand grains that got into the mechanism. 
In 2008, we were able to visit the lower canyon on our own; I’m not sure if that’s still the case.

It’s very easy to navigate this route.  A GPS is nice but not necessary as long as you stay on the main roads between the parks and the towns.  However, if you go onto the gravel roads, the dashboard GPS units are almost completely useless because they won’t show these roads.  We brought topo maps and a compass.  An off-road GPS unit with pre-loaded topo maps would also work, although, I would bring along the maps and compass as well.  Batteries run down and electronic gizmos can fail.

Have a great trip.
regards
Santo

bill proud

• http://www.billproudphotography.com
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2012, 01:51:42 pm »

Marc,

I think the West Mitten shadow falls on the East Mitten at sunset near mid month. That's pretty spectacular. Colorado Aspen color occurs mid to late September but be aware of snow if you don't have all wheel or 4 wheel drive; and it will be cold at night.

New Moon is Sept. 16th, so if you like star trails and are in the boonies, you can get some interesting images of stars and arches or spires most of the week before and after new moon.

Good luck,

sierraman

« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2012, 08:02:30 pm »

Marc,

I think the West Mitten shadow falls on the East Mitten at sunset near mid month. That's pretty spectacular. Colorado Aspen color occurs mid to late September but be aware of snow if you don't have all wheel or 4 wheel drive; and it will be cold at night.

New Moon is Sept. 16th, so if you like star trails and are in the boonies, you can get some interesting images of stars and arches or spires most of the week before and after new moon.

Good luck,
The West Mitten shadow falls on the East Mitten on Sept 12 this year.

marcmccalmont

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2012, 12:30:00 pm »

Thanks
I'm off in a week, starting to get ready for the journey!
Marc
Marc McCalmont

francois

« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2012, 02:42:20 pm »

Thanks
I'm off in a week, starting to get ready for the journey!
Marc

Marc,
Keep us posted on your "adventure"!
Francois

marcmccalmont

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2012, 05:53:12 am »

Marc,
Keep us posted on your "adventure"!
I will!
Marc
Marc McCalmont

marcmccalmont

« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2012, 03:06:31 pm »

Well the fun has begun!
Arrived in Vegas Saturday midnight, up at 6:30 Renta-car by 7:30 (Jeep Liberty 4x4)
drove to Kanab stopped for some shooting along the side of the road, sunset at Coral pink sand dunes, sunrise at Zion!
Pictures to follow.
Marc
Marc McCalmont

francois

« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2012, 03:10:14 am »

Well the fun has begun!
Arrived in Vegas Saturday midnight, up at 6:30 Renta-car by 7:30 (Jeep Liberty 4x4)
drove to Kanab stopped for some shooting along the side of the road, sunset at Coral pink sand dunes, sunrise at Zion!
Pictures to follow.
Marc

Thanks for the news...

How was Coral Pink sand dunes? Last Time I was there, the whole area was completely covered by buggy tracks…
Francois

marcmccalmont

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2012, 12:40:09 pm »

Thanks for the news...

How was Coral Pink sand dunes? Last Time I was there, the whole area was completely covered by buggy tracks…
Too many tracks :(
Marc McCalmont

marcmccalmont

« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2012, 12:42:26 pm »

Eye candy everywhere!   :)
Marc
Marc McCalmont

mikev1

« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2012, 10:57:06 pm »

Sorry to piggyback on this thread but it has been invaluable to me as I'm planning a three week trip at the end of September.  I'm curious if anyone can recommend some longer day hikes and maybe 1 or 2 overnight treks?
I'm not entirely sold on bringing my ultralight camping gear as ultralight is really code word for ultra uncomfortable. :D  So I'm not sure if I'll do anything longer than a long day hike unless the payoff is huge.  My 1 man tent is 6'1" in length and I'm 6'3".  I call it the coffin.  I plan to camp most of the time.  Also probably won't have a 4x4 so trail access should be from reasonable roads.

I'm hoping this will be more or less an annual type of trip (though probably shorter in duration) so I'm not too worried about trying to pack it all in.  Also glad I don't have to worry about coming back to my tent and finding a porcupine in it.  Though curious about any critters to keep an eye out for.  Word to the wise, always zip your tent up when leaving it unattended.  How do you get a porcupine out of your tent?  Very carefully!

Not a lot planned so far but a few things I've settled on
-Angel's Landing <- I'll do this more than once if I don't get a good shot.
-Virgin Narrows
-Coral Pink Sand Dunes <- though maybe this isn't ideal?
-False Kiva

I'm tenatively thinking of spending about 5 to 7 days in Zion or longer.  I don't mind revisiting a site more than once if the weather isn't agreeable.

Other than Zion, Dead Horse Point State Park and Canyonlands seem intriguing to me.  For some reason Bryce doesn't hold much appeal to me.

I think I'll skip Death Valley and the Grand Canyon this go around.  I'd love to do Death Valley but I'm guessing the heat will still be unbearable.  Being a mountain guy I wilt under the heat.

I'd probably like to explore some slot canyons though I think I'll skip Antelope.

Marc I'm really interested in hearing your experiences along the way.

biedron1

« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2012, 01:59:22 am »

-Virgin Narrows
-False Kiva

I'm tenatively thinking of spending about 5 to 7 days in Zion or longer.  I don't mind revisiting a site more than once if the weather isn't agreeable.

Other than Zion, Dead Horse Point State Park and Canyonlands seem intriguing to me.  For some reason Bryce doesn't hold much appeal to me.

False Kiva is one of the most magical places I have ever been to. Do be respectful of the cordoned off areas though. With any luck you'll have the place to yourself.

If you are going to Zion, the Subway is supposed to be awesome, and would qualify as a long day hike. You'll need a permit. I haven't done this hike myself yet - last year on the day I had scheduled for the hike the weather was really crappy and I opted out.

I think in September you will be required to take the bus out to the the Narrows in Zion, not your personal vehicle; that may affect your hiking logistics. 

If you are going from Zion to Canyonlands I'd suggest going via Rt 12 and Rt 24. The drive along Rt 12 is great, and there are so many locations on 12/24 it would be hard to list them all. I guess you have ruled out Bryce, but it is just a couple of miles off Rt 12; to me it would be a shame not to pop in for at least a quick look. One nice (< 1/2 day) hike that starts right off Rt 12 past Escalante is Lower Calf Creek Falls. There is lots to explore along Hole in the Rock road just outside Escalante. Capitol Reef National Park is along the way on Rt 24.

If you visit Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point State Park, I think it would be a shame to miss Arches National Park, just about 30 miles away.

If you haven't already, definitely pick up a copy of Laurent Martres "Photographing the Southwest". Volume 1 would cover everything above and much, much more. He gives estimated time required and difficulty rating for many locations.

Bob

marcmccalmont

« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2012, 07:45:07 am »

some more
Marc
Marc McCalmont

francois

« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2012, 07:58:08 am »

Marc,
Thanks for sharing your SW experience… Some really nice images, congrats.
Francois

marcmccalmont

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2012, 05:07:31 pm »

-Virgin Narrows
-False Kiva

Marc I'm really interested in hearing your experiences along the way.

Mike
Don't skip Bryce spend 2 days there
skip Coral Pink Sand Dunes it's just an ATV park unles there was a sand storm and you cn get some "virgin" shots w/o atv tracks
it was easy to rent a 4x4, Jeep Liberty $20/day A Dollar
Marc
Marc McCalmont

mikev1

« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2012, 09:45:29 pm »

The colors on those last two shots are amazing.  I'll probably give Bryce a quick visit at least.

Thanks for the advice Marc.

marcmccalmont

« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2012, 06:47:39 am »

The good light at Bryce is only a few minutes just after sunrise so plan accordingly!
Marc
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 11:14:03 pm by marcmccalmont »
Marc McCalmont
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up