Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Niagara Falls to Toronto to Temagami  (Read 3262 times)

david loble

Niagara Falls to Toronto to Temagami
« on: July 21, 2012, 11:45:42 am »

Hello All,

My partner and I are planning on leaving Eagles Mere, a town in north-central Pennsylvania, mid-morning on 25 July, destination Temagami, ON on the 27th by 4 PM. Depending on which resources I consult it is an 11 hour to 13 hour drive, doable in two days but we want to take our time getting off the beaten path in New York and arriving somewhere near Niagara Falls, probably Ontario, Wednesday evening.

My first question is How much time is needed to photograph and walk/hike the area before heading to Toronto? Spending the night there.
Then on Thursday rather than photograph in Toronto, but not ruling that out completely, which museums or galleries are recommended? Do you know of some photography shows running currently?

I'm figuring Toronto to Temagami, on Friday the 27th, is less than 6 hours via North Bay on Route 11.  From Temagami we are ferried (w/out car) to Devils Island for a two day board meeting with lots of photo ops.

My very first time in the area. Really looking forward to it and many thanks for any help/suggestions you have.

David

zippski

Re: Niagara Falls to Toronto to Temagami
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 01:08:25 pm »

Hi David.  After surfing around this great site for a long time, I have finally joined the membership formally.  This is my first post, so we will see how it goes.
I am Niagara local (Ontario side).  Niagara Falls gets a bit of raw deal from a photographic perspective.  It's so much more than the Maid of the Mist and typical tourist shots "off the railing".  You can easily spend your two days there photographing both sides of the border and come home with some - quite frankly - stunning photos.  As usual, you have to know where to go, which is, as expected, somewhere *other* than where most tourists go.

Where to start....I am assuming that if you are heading up to "Temagami" (remember, that's an "area", not really a "location", I am assuming you are doing some nature photography.  You are also likely doing some urban landscapes if you are in Toronto.

My recommendations:

1.  First, add a day or two, or split the trip into two trips.  This is a looooong trip to do in your time frame.  It's haul from Toronto to Temagami and back.  It's also congested on the highways for several hours each side around Toronto.

2.  Find a local in Niagara Falls.  I'm happy to volunteer (I often volunteer to host local photo walks around the area and I need an excuse to get out hiking after work), but I'm only available after 5:00 pm Thursday and Friday.  Anyway, I've strated by linking a sample of the type of scenery one can shoot in one one my favorite ares, the Niagara Glen trail system (since the post seems to telling me I've gone over length already).

Leigh
zippski

david loble

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 03:02:29 pm »

Thank you Leigh.
Unfortunately we can't take you up on your kind offer because of time constraints. I'm continuing my research into the Niagara area and am looking at the Glen trails.

David

BradSmith

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 08:22:50 pm »

Obviously the images have been taken before, but if you've not been there, you need to make your own, for your own memories and enjoyment.

I grew up there.  With only an afternoon/evening and morning/midday to visit, here's what I'd do on a first visit:

I'd get to Niagara from home as fast as possible and photograph till after dark when the lights are on the falls.

American side:  Take the Maid of the Mist boat ride.  It is worth it.   Then walk from brink of American Falls upriver 300 yards and over a bridge to Goat Island, then back down to the brink of the American Falls on Goat Island side.   Take the "Cave of the Winds" tour at this location.  It goes down to the base of the falls. either waterproof camera or keep it in a plastic bag with only the front of the lens sticking out.  You will be soaked.  See attached photos.   Then back up on top, walk along the edge of the gorge to the brink of the Canadian Horseshoe Falls. 

Get up early the next morning and cross to Canada on the Rainbow Bridge (this could take anywhere from 10 minutes to 1 hour) and walk along the railing edge from Horseshoe Falls brink down to American Falls. You could also take the Maid of the Mist from this side.   Drive 4 miles north along the river toward Lake Ontario.  Go to the Butterfly Conservatory.  Great photo ops. Also the Whirlpool Jet Boat trip (see photo from zippski) from either the Spanish Aero Car location or from Niagara on the Lake are well worth it.  From Niagara on the Lake, you're about 1.5 hrs to Toronto.
Enjoy,
Brad

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 11:43:27 pm »

Temagami is a fantastic and very photogenic location, but it is a huge lake. Most scenes are accessible only from the water, you'll need a motor boat or a canoe, and a lot of time to explore just some of the bays and small islands. Having seen all three places, I would skip Niagara and Toronto altogether, and head up directly to Temagami, and spend some time also in the south/east part of Temagami. You can stay there in Temagami provincial park or in the town of Temagami where you can rent a canoe or hire a water taxi.

Or if you leave PA at 4pm, arrive in Niagara in the evening, shoot around the falls at night and early morning, and head up north on Hwy 400 bypassing Toronto before the traffic gets ugly. This is the long weekend in Ontario which happens to be also the busiest weekend with many fatal accidents both on highways and on the water.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 12:28:49 am by LesPalenik »
Pages: [1]   Go Up