Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loss of iDisk, loss of trust  (Read 1362 times)

markadams99

• http://thelightcavalry.zenfolio.com
Loss of iDisk, loss of trust
« on: July 21, 2012, 08:54:35 am »

For years I used iDisk's public folder to upload images to get links for image display in forums like this, also in certain blog posts. Since Apple shutdown iDisk those links are useless. I didn't think that Apple would just trash the work that users invested while relying on iDisk. The effort involved systematically to fix these links by storing images elsewhere and inserting new links isn't practicable.

Apple gave plenty of warning of this, but I suppose I presumed they would simply move iDisk to iCloud and preserve the links. Nope.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Loss of iDisk, loss of trust
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 09:07:04 am »

Apple made it pretty clear that that wasn't going to happen. You can feel unhappy at the loss of iDisk but you have no real cause to have lost "trust".

Jeremy

markadams99

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 09:22:08 am »

Apple made it pretty clear that that wasn't going to happen. You can feel unhappy at the loss of iDisk but you have no real cause to have lost "trust".

Jeremy
How come? The investment in time, effort and dotmac fees was long made when Apple decided to close iDisk.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 11:07:07 am »

Not to mention that a move to iCloud is only possible if one upgrades the operating system, which I am reluctant to do, given that it does not support several programs I use.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 01:13:31 pm »

How come? The investment in time, effort and dotmac fees was long made when Apple decided to close iDisk.

I don't recall Apple's ever undertaking to keep iDisk running indefinitely. The fees were a subscription, which bought a year's service.

Things change; it's a fact of life. We have to plan for it. iDisk had numerous deficiencies, of which appalling speed was but one; maybe whatever replaces it will be better.

Try Dropbox, or a paid service. There's no shortage of them, but none is likely to be permanent.

Jeremy

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 01:15:24 pm »

Not to mention that a move to iCloud is only possible if one upgrades the operating system, which I am reluctant to do, given that it does not support several programs I use.

Yes, I've delayed my upgrade to Lion while I rewrote a database, on which I'm dependent, because it needed Rosetta. Once I'd done that, though, the move was completely painless.

What applications do you use which won't run under Lion? I'm curious.

Jeremy

markadams99

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 01:28:25 pm »

I don't recall Apple's ever undertaking to keep iDisk running indefinitely. The fees were a subscription, which bought a year's service.

Things change; it's a fact of life. We have to plan for it. iDisk had numerous deficiencies, of which appalling speed was but one; maybe whatever replaces it will be better.

Try Dropbox, or a paid service. There's no shortage of them, but none is likely to be permanent.

Jeremy
It's not a question of iDisk running indefinitely, it's a question of storing iDisk files in iCloud instead of trashing them and re-directing the iDisk links to them - trivial stuff for Apple. Apple explicitly advertised the use of iDisk for storing files to be linked by web-sites.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 01:30:15 pm by markadams99 »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 02:01:43 pm »

... What applications do you use which won't run under Lion? I'm curious.

- MonacoEZcolor
- Monaco OPTIX 2.0

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 05:10:12 am »

Have you looked at the title of this thread through half-close eyes? Very worrying for any virile yong man with a hernia.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up