Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: best graphic card recomendation suporting 10 bit output  (Read 6085 times)

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
best graphic card recomendation suporting 10 bit output
« on: July 21, 2012, 08:35:50 am »

Hi I am about to purchase a new computer based on Intel i7 3770k or 3930 but I don't know witch GC should I chose. Money is not concern as far as I know I spend it for photo editing files from D800 or MF and not for technology uses just for game. 10 bit output support is a must for me since my monitor is Eizo CG275w.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:59:06 am by alifatemi »

tived

• http://
Re: best graphic card recomendation
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 10:38:01 pm »

anything from nVidia gtx-560 and above or similar AMD/ATI

min 1gb of video ram

i am currently just using a ASUS GTX-460, and its doing a fine job, its now 2 gen old.
A 2 or more gigabytes of VRAM will let you have more textures in memory, if you are running large files. but a x60 is fine for most none gaming people

Henrik

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 11:00:35 pm »

Does your editing software directly task the GPU?  If so you'll want to select an appropriate card for your individual work flow.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

AvidVisionary

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 10:23:05 pm »

Get the right card for the job. Don't buy one because of the specs. If you work with photography more than video then get a card that is best for photoshop.

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 01:35:56 am »

Does your editing software directly task the GPU?  If so you'll want to select an appropriate card for your individual work flow.

I use Lightroom and rarely, Photoshop

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 03:11:34 am »

I use Lightroom and rarely, Photoshop
Then your gain from more than a moderate video card will be much less than if it was supported.  Though, LR can't go on forever without dedicated GPU tasking.. maybe the next full version or the one after that at the latest.

You'll also want to take into account if you'll be using 10 bits or not.   (the newest high end monitors support 10 bit).  So far no game type cards support 10 bit, only workstation cards do. 

IF you're not using 10 bit or you don't know what it is.. based on LR being your primary use.. then a 6850-6870 ATI card or a like Nvidia should be more than adequate.  And still cheap enough where it won't hurt to upgrade later if LR starts supporting dedicated GPU tasking or if you upgrade monitors.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
Re: best graphic card recomendation supporting 10 bit output
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 07:00:55 am »

I forgot to mention 10 bit at first place, thanks to remind me! now I have modified the subject and question!

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: best graphic card recomendation supporting 10 bit output
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 10:10:24 am »

I forgot to mention 10 bit at first place, thanks to remind me! now I have modified the subject and question!

That does make a difference! Here's your answer for nVidia cards, the Quadro (CX, and updated FX) series is required.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 10:45:33 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1]   Go Up