Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Welcome to Morningside  (Read 4239 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Welcome to Morningside
« on: July 20, 2012, 09:13:16 pm »

It's one of those places that you wonder driving in, "Will I ever come out again." The American lanscape is dotted with these home developments that went bust before they ever had a chance. This one has paved streets, streetlights, power-water-telecomunications hookups in place, a pond and an odd, solitary building in what I would have presumed to be Town Square. But not a soul is seen. Kind of eerie, hence the low angle shot.

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Rob C

Re: Welcome to Morningside
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 09:34:53 am »

Fooled me! I thought I was going to see something about Edinburgh (Scotland).

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 10:46:45 am »

This could be an introductory shot in a series about the place, but I would like to see the series.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 12:33:18 pm »

I had to stop shooting because it started raining quite heavily. Going back tomorrow.

I think it's going to make a good series.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 01:20:15 pm »

You got me, I lived on Morningside in Dallas for seven years. This should be a good subject, I'll be looking for more.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 06:20:51 pm »

These kind of places are great to find. Yes, shoot some more there and share.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 08:59:37 pm »

There was only one structure built in this development before it went belly up. It can be seen from almost any viewpoint in the development. The kids have long since rendered it a mass of broken glass; the weather has done the rest to render it pretty much ruined. Here are a few more shots in this series. it is so desolate, so flat and so odd to find just wasting away.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 10:35:18 pm by chrisc »

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 06:55:48 am »

Interestingly, in another forum there has been an almost collective vision in this series of the forced labor camps. The wrought iron archway that invites, even if somewhat menacingly, then the stark and abrupt lack of life in a place so thought out and planned for just that. One member likened the series to her interpretation of Hitchcock movies, which surprisingly to me and others was only her second ever foray into the world of film noir.

I am now waiting for the humidity to drop, and the air to clear so I can shoot night shots under a full moon. I am even given to the idea of using it as a backdrop to some steel wool photography or light painting. That shall have to wait for more rain. I would love some more feedback on this series. This is a new concept to me to work practically nothing into something. While I want to continue to explore the "dark side" of the noir genre, I also want to express the social aspects of why we so love to put great populations of certain classes into gated communities, thus locking away the reality of what goes on outside the gateway.

stamper

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 09:37:50 am »

Fooled me! I thought I was going to see something about Edinburgh (Scotland).

Rob C

Rob I thought that too but imo there isn't anything worth shooting. The Canny Man's pub is worth a visit but they don't now allow photography inside.

http://www.bestpubs.co.uk/layout0.asp?pub=105837

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 04:03:17 pm »

Interestingly, in another forum there has been an almost collective vision in this series of the forced labor camps. The wrought iron archway that invites, even if somewhat menacingly...

Oh, I can definitely see why. As a matter of fact, that was my first, visceral reaction when I saw it: so reminiscent of the "Arbeit Macht Frei." I refrained from making such a comment initially, as in this era of political correctness, I am sure someone would accuse me of trivializing the holocaust. But, given that you mentioned it, here are a couple of Auschwitz photos with striking similarities:

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 04:52:28 pm »

The center structure in your first image is very close to the structure seen in my images. I am awaiting the full moon for some long night exposures and hopefully, this heat streak will pass and the fog will have a chance to settle in. I think this area lends itself to fog, mist and perhaps even rain.

MTGFender

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 01:23:40 pm »

Fantastic vanishing point.
Pages: [1]   Go Up