Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9900 Nozzle problem  (Read 6316 times)

bhuddleston

Epson 9900 Nozzle problem
« on: July 19, 2012, 05:57:10 pm »

So I have cleaned and cleaned, failures to clean each time. Ran service mode and did an ss cleaning. Still my nozzle looks like this :(
Anyone have ideas, suggestions or even seen this before?
thanks

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Epson 9900 Nozzle problem
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 10:43:39 pm »

It looks like a combination of nozzle deflection and clogging.  Based on the list of cleaning cycles you have run
it seems like you have run out of options on normal cleaning. 

You might try soaking the head overnight.  There are some posts here where there is mention of a super strong
Epson cleaning agent.  This post is a start.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=67241.0

From your picture it looks like Photo or matte black.  Have you tried an ink switch?  Thinking along the lines that the switching
might clear it.

Are you under base or extended warranty?
If you are under warranty, it's time to call Epson. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 01:59:46 am »

It looks like a combination of nozzle deflection and clogging.
agreed, and the only time I've seen a nozzle pattern looking anything like that the cause was physical damage to the head.

bhuddleston

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 09:36:43 am »

Thanks for the replys guys. Unfortunately we are not under warranty any longer :(

I did try switching from matte black to photo black exact same nozzle print with both inks.

Garnick

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 09:49:54 am »

There are three possibilities that come to mind, since I've had many and various issues with the 9900 over the past two and a half years. I'm now working on my third and last warranty extension, good insurance. If you've had any recent paper jams there could very well be some debris stuck to the print head that could cause this sort of problem. If you do a lot of borderless printing you might want to check the pads that collect the ink overspray. Due to the fact that these pads are somewhat damp they do tend to collect various fibers that can be picked up by the print head and then cause the problem you have indicated. Also, if you do a lot of printing on canvas or cotton rag materials, make sure you use a good vacuum to clean the paper feed area on a regular basis. Again, a lot of debris could be collecting from these materials, especially if you are allowing the printer's cutter to trim the product.   

As far as the cleaning regimen is concerned, it's not usually a good idea to do that many cleanings consecutively, especially the high powered cleanings. Epson warns against this as well. If you are seeing this sort of problem or any clogging issue you should probably do no more than 4 or 5 cleaning cycles and then let the printer sit idle for a few hours, or overnight if possible, before another cycle is run. In this case however, it may require a physical cleaning of the print head or at worst a replacement. Also, the aforementioned 'soaking' of the print head may be of some help. Of course another area of concern could be the Wiper Blade. There's another thread on the forum that shows how to easily access the Wiper and check for damage and replacement. This should be an easy fix according to this thread - Epson 7900 from the inside - out New « 1 2 ... 38 39 ». It's a long thread but you'll find the info at around midway I believe. Follow from the beginning and you will find the procedure and other very useful information.

I hope this helps.
Gary   

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

bhuddleston

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 09:15:33 am »

Thanks Gary

I have cleaned the wiper blade and etc. The wiper blade did have a good collection of ink sort of "gooped" up around it. I also spent the other day taking it down to the print head to take a look (wow was that interesting lol). I did not really see anything crazy wrong with the print head. I did do some cleaning and will try a nozzle check today after I have let it set for a while. My next option will be to soak it I guess. I am willing to try anything before having to buy a new head.

I did notice though that my overspray pads do have alot of ink on them. Is this something that needs to be replaced or can it be cleaned?
We do alot of borderless printing.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 10:46:28 am »

You can replace the felt overspray pads.  I had to do this on my 9880 several times over the years.  On the 9900 they look like the same type of attachment.

Epson should be able to sell the pads or one of the 3rd party sellers out there. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up