Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fun with my new RX 100 ...  (Read 2456 times)

jeremypayne

Fun with my new RX 100 ...
« on: July 18, 2012, 11:27:37 pm »

... these are from today walking to and from work ... this is a nice little camera ...

jeremypayne

Re: Fun with my new RX 100 ...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 11:28:39 pm »

... few more ... what the heck ... it's a new camera and all ...

jeremypayne

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 11:29:36 pm »

... ok .... just three more ...  ;D

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 12:19:45 am »

Is there some kind of HDR processing applied on at least some of them?

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 03:48:59 am »

I'm glad that I live in little old Puerto Pollensa and not in anyone's Big Smoke.

I also feel there's something very muddy about the colour, but of course, that might be processor's choice.

(The older I get the more I realise that cross-culture don't work! Or, at any rate, once you step away from cities they quickly lose their charm. Imagined that I could/wanted to, even, go back to one, but I realise that there's much truth in the saying: you can't go back.)

Rob C

jeremypayne

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 06:20:21 am »

Is there some kind of HDR processing applied on at least some of them?

Kinda ... since I don't have RAW support yet, these started life as JPEGs and I was playing with strong clarity settings, etc.

all 9 had the exact same recipe applied in LR ... happy to post a couple straight OOC JPEGs for comparison later.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 06:25:55 am by Jeremy Payne »

jeremypayne

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 06:24:36 am »

I also feel there's something very muddy about the colour, but of course, that might be processor's choice.

Played with the color response a bit.  Slightly saturation boost with a slight cut on the vibrance.

EDIT: Oh ... and just noticed, I think I accidentally had the WB on Cloudy and not Auto as I had thought ... the joys of JPEGs ... been YEARS since I shot a JPEG.

I'm glad that I live in little old Puerto Pollensa and not in anyone's Big Smoke.

(The older I get the more I realise that cross-culture don't work! Or, at any rate, once you step away from cities they quickly lose their charm. Imagined that I could/wanted to, even, go back to one, but I realise that there's much truth in the saying: you can't go back.)

I live here ... and I know exactly what you mean.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 10:35:50 am by Jeremy Payne »

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 11:48:55 am »

My digi experience started with the D200 - so not a long relationship, but I never used jpegs until I got the smartphone thinggy some months ago. I don't think that they offer anything great in terms of messing around with files - far prefer using NEFs (Nikon's RAW) and then Photoshop's own files. (TIFFs seem to take a much longer time to show up on screen after every change or Save As than do native PS ones so I never use them beyond their being an essential step into PS from Nikon's software.)

Now that I think about it, I seem to remember there being a TIFF option on the camera's shooting menu, but it might just be the heat in here. Can't make the move to unlock the hiding place and find the manuals or cameras, but I hope to remember next time I have one out.

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 12:01:09 pm »

Jeremy, #2 in the first batch is good street. The expression on the woman's face is "Eeeeewwwww!" and what the guy's doing with the napkin makes you wonder whether he's setting down his cup or wiping up what the woman's looking at. And the guy close in looks as if he might be photographing the whole scene. Only problem with it is that the color (which, like Rob I find muddy) is distracting. You might want to try a B&W version.

#1 in the third batch is good too.

Fun camera. Keep shooting, but get with the post work.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

jeremypayne

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 05:32:52 pm »

Now that I think about it, I seem to remember there being a TIFF option on the camera's shooting menu

There was a TIFF option ... I had a Nikon Coolpix 4500 with which I used to shoot TIFFs with and loads of cameras had them.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp4500

it was a GREAT little camera ... only 4MP.

JMPhoto

• Kansas City Photography: Weddings, Portraits, & More
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 03:41:56 am »

back off on the HDR look unless you have setup the shot to do a proper 32-bit HDR edit

I like a lot of the compositions, just the editing I am not digging

John R

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 06:59:56 am »

Many times people ask me to photograph them using their cameras when I am out photographing. The one thing that I really dislike about all the small, mostly point and shoot cameras, is that they have a tendency to move when I try to press the shutter. Is this camera like this. I am certainly looking for carry around camera.

JMR

jeremypayne

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 10:01:51 am »

Many times people ask me to photograph them using their cameras when I am out photographing. The one thing that I really dislike about all the small, mostly point and shoot cameras, is that they have a tendency to move when I try to press the shutter. Is this camera like this. I am certainly looking for carry around camera.

JMR

It takes a little getting used to, but with a little trial and error I have figured out how to hold it with two hands, tuck my elbows in and get a nice steady shot.

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 02:32:08 am »

Jeremy, #2 in the first batch is good street. The expression on the woman's face is "Eeeeewwwww!" and what the guy's doing with the napkin makes you wonder whether he's setting down his cup or wiping up what the woman's looking at. And the guy close in looks as if he might be photographing the whole scene. Only problem with it is that the color (which, like Rob I find muddy) is distracting. You might want to try a B&W version.

You just picked my favorite from the whole thread: the composition is very strong, specially for a street photography; the faces and the gestures are very nice, too. I also found it a bit over-processed for my tastes; but your B&W version is much better.

popnfresh

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 06:04:17 pm »

I think the compositions are fine, but I agree that the overcooked look is distracting.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 07:03:10 pm by popnfresh »
Pages: [1]   Go Up