Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Current Hy6 / Afi situation  (Read 39646 times)

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Re: Current Hy6 / Afi situation
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 07:27:08 pm »

Geoff,
To a certain extent I agree with you - certainly about making good business decisions and good use of their available funds. However what if the profits from the 35mm sales gave them more financial resources than any work they could do with tightening up firmware? A 35mm lens is probably going to price out at the cost of a body and my guess is about half the people I know that shoot Rollei would buy one immediately.  Sometimes a small company gets fettered with fixed costs and only a small increase in sales can make a large difference in their available cash.   

Now once they have the resources,  I'd like to see them complete a few software / firmware things such as taking advantage of the light color temp meter which is built into the camera but not used as far as I know.  Also small stuff like when the chimney finder is attached the display is not reversed.  There are a few other small things.

Eric

Rolleiflex USA

Neil Folberg

• http://www.visiongallery.com
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 12:23:53 am »

If I were making recommendations about the AFi body, I would strengthen the handle and connection to the camera (all power flows through the handle to the camera body unless you have an extra battery on the back). I was having power problems on a body that was replaced under warranty by Sinar, though I'm not sure that this was the source of the problem.

I would make the on/off switch a bit larger with more decisive click-stops.

It's great that you can use two batteries, especially with the 12 back, but you have to keep an eye on both the Leaf back's screen AND the camera body's battery indicator. When you're working fast, outside the studio and in volume this is hard to do. All of a sudden something doesn't work too well and you realize a battery needs to be replaced. If it's the battery on the back, and the camera body battery is still strong, all you have to do is slip off the battery on the back and the other one in the body takes over.

Those are all of my comments. It's a great camera to work with and the quality of the Leaf back is so good that I can't imagine an improvement in image quality (what would it look like? MORE detail? BETTER dynamic range? I can shoot straight into the sun and hold shadow detail along with a pleasing sky!), and it works lovely tethered in C1 when I have the ability to use it that way. Where there is a wifi network, the Capture Remote is great on the iPhone. Even at high ISO for places where I need it, and I try hard not to need it, it looks good. I have no trouble with the screen, I can read the histogram in full sunlight and check focus if I must - love the tilt-up screen and rotating back - and would not want to trade for the Credo. All I want is for everything to keep working forever - this is a a great tool with lifetime potential. Like a good film camera used to be (I used the Rollei SL-66 and then the 66SE from 1971 to about 2001 and I still miss the tilt and built-in bellows).

Neil

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 03:10:01 am »

It is a great camera.  I love it with the AFi-ii 12 as well Neil, and this summer discovered how wonderful a film camera it is too.  Exposure metering is really really good with film!   But I almost never run the camera battery down.  The AFi-ii 12 sucks them up very quickly but the camera itself seems to last forever.  I go for weeks without changing - thousands of shots.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 03:13:05 am by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

Neil Folberg

• http://www.visiongallery.com
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 03:56:46 am »

Eric,

perhaps you never use mirror lock-up or autofocus? I use both frequently - maybe that uses more power on the body?

the back surely uses plenty of batteries, especially when you check images. so I carry a lot -

Neil

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2012, 09:01:58 am »

I use MLU a lot and AF less so. The battery in the body seems to last quite a while - to the point of rarely  needing attention. Less than 1/10 as often as the batteries on the back. Typically use 2-3 batteries for the back for a shooting day - by the time I'm through those, the brain is fried. That's with an AFI II 7, while the 12 uses more power. Not sure where the 10 is in this. Anyone have either a 10 or a 5 to report on? 
Geoff

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2012, 07:48:27 pm »

Neil,
The AF could be a factor.  I do use it, but not that much. I couldn't imagine mirror lockup taking a lot of power but who knows?
E
Rolleiflex USA

xinchenc

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2012, 01:00:03 pm »

AFi/Hy6 is a GREAT Camera.

DeckardTrinity

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 12:06:56 pm »

I'll concur with others here that the Hy6 is a great camera system. I had the same questions early last year about whether or not it was a good idea to invest so much $$ into a system that has very limited support, but I've been very happy with my Hy6, coupled with the 50mm, 80mm, and 180mm AFD lenses. I shoot with the 6x6 back mostly, and have an Afi-7 that I play with from time to time too, but I'm majority shooting 120 / 220 film.

Now... as for all the rumors... :)

I have personally spoken with the owner of Rollei & Hensel service here in NJ on several occasions when I've had to bring in a lens for repair, or more recently to get the contacts in the grip of the Hy6 cleaned (they did that for free while I waited - great guys all around). I've heard their perspective on the breakup of F&H, and don't want to go repeating it in a public forum, but it's pretty clear that they were impacted quite a bit when the business went under.

For now they can only service the older 600x series cameras, TLRs, plus all the lenses that go with that (they do also service the AFD lenses). They were pretty clear when I went in to get the Hy6 dial looked at that they wouldn't be able to do much beyond spraying a little bit of contact cleaner in and hoping for the best (which turned out to be all that was needed). But... there is hope that one day they may be able to expand their service offerings to include the Hy6, which would be terrific news for us stateside folks who have to ship to Germany to get any substantive repairs done on the body. As of now though (or more accurately a few months ago when I last visited), there is nothing to report, so consider this mere speculation / rumor.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2012, 06:14:17 pm »

Deckard,

During the transition Rollei Hensel service in NJ lost their official service status with Rollei and were not able to get it back.   I really like Onick at the NJ service though,  and he's been super helpful in the past.   The Hy6/AFi can be serviced in many places, but I'd go with the factory.  DHW does very quick service turnaround.  I shipped a 60-140 lens to them via USPS for service as was surprised how quickly it came back same thing with a body I sent in for firmware update.  Try that with Leica! Leica has taken more than 4 months on average to do simple services on my gear so I decided to sell all my Leica stuff.   Anyhow,  I don't worry about Rollei service.  Onick can do all the 6000 stuff and most of the lenses, but  I'd send the Hy6 to DHW.

Eric

Rolleiflex USA

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2012, 06:51:58 pm »

I've had good luck with DHW for service - usually 1-2 week turnaround. Try that with Leica.
Geoff

xinchenc

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2012, 08:44:46 pm »

The only feature that Hy6 has not developed yet is he AUTO White Balance.

As for the repair service, do all other brands repair your camera next to your door?

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2012, 05:29:24 pm »

Unfortunately, the  35mm S-Flektogon remained vaporware, and DHW has acknowledged recently that this lens will not be manufactured. 

Source? This is news to me, and not of the good variety.

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2012, 05:31:52 pm »

Maybe I'm missing the boat here, but if DHW only had a wee bit of funds for development, I'd rather they put it elsewhere than chase down one wide lens like that. Not sure that 35 mm is that much more than 40, and it seems to be rather complicated.

Two thoughts...
1) as far as I know, the R&D is all done, so they just have to decide whether to go ahead and manufacture.
2) The 35mm is not a big step from the 40mm, that's true, but it will be AFD, I believe, and match very nicely with the 50mm AFD. (The 40mm is manual focus)

Lacunapratum

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2012, 05:27:47 pm »

A 35mm AF would have been great, especially with wider backs such as the Afi10 or 12.  Just received my 25mm Pentax DA, which is a marvel and so convenient to use.  Right now I am using a 24mm SA XL with a Sinarback 75 LV on my Horseman when I go out shooting with the Hy6 system, but the Pentax is definitely more convenient.  Hopefully they'll change their mind.   

Repairs are usually well done in Braunschweig, but not inexpensive, and shipping these days plus taxes for the repair itself add up.  But it works. 

JV

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2012, 08:34:57 pm »

Source? This is news to me, and not of the good variety.

I wrote an email to Reiner about this. 

His reply was that they currently are not working on the 35mm AFD lens and that after Photokina they will decide whether to continue with the development or not.

Stopping the development would in my opinion be a very big mistake which is also what I wrote back.

If you are interested in the lens and would consider buying one it might be a good time to be vocal about it and let DHW know...

TMARK

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2012, 11:07:58 pm »

Deckard,

. . . Try that with Leica! Leica has taken more than 4 months on average to do simple services on my gear so I decided to sell all my Leica stuff. 

Eric

Me too. An M8 that had a known issue they refused to acknowledge (a board was bad and creates horrid jaggies around blown highlights) and an M9 that was lost, found, then lost again and one day showed up at my door, three months later.  Which is why I never even considered the S2.

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2012, 01:08:20 am »

Anyone have either a 10 or a 5 to report on? 

Very similar experiences with my 10.  Like Eric, the body rarely runs out of battery, at least compared to the back.  2 or 3 batteries on the back for a busy day's shooting is certainly doable, sometimes as many as four.
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

paratom

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2012, 03:32:09 pm »

I've had good luck with DHW for service - usually 1-2 week turnaround. Try that with Leica.
Leica calibrated my M9 and 4 lenses in 10 days.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2012, 03:03:01 am »

Leica calibrated my M9 and 4 lenses in 10 days.

Yeah but you are in Germany correct?   Here in the US Leica still mails you a regular letter with an estimate after they have inspected the camera which they expect you to sign and mail back before they begin any work.  This alone is your 10 days just in the mail delivery times.   And that's not counting  the cue for repairs, repair times, or even the time in shipping the broken item to the service station originally and shipping time back after.   If you are unlucky and your gear needs to be returned to Solms then there are even more delays through this international shipping round trip.   A 10 day turnaround simply doesn't happen here with Leica.   Personally, I've never had service quicker than 3 months and one lens took almost 6 months.  What was wrong with that lens?  I sent it in because the focus ring was stiff - that's all.   I am happy to read others have had better luck with Leica, but unless they give me one, I'm never going to have another Leica camera.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 03:08:53 am by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

dergiman

• http://www.philippderganz.com
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2012, 04:13:37 am »

Just sent my Hy6 in to DHW for the firmware upgrade and some minor repairs. Turnaround was about 3 weeks incl. shipping times. First class service but not inexpensive. OTOH got a new set of lens caps for free.
Philipp Derganz Photography
www.philippderganz.com
Architektur Photo
Wien, Austria
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up