Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Current Hy6 / Afi situation  (Read 39640 times)

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
Re: Current Hy6 / Afi situation
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2012, 02:28:46 am »

Watch carefully and see what camera is being used in this commercial

The brief had an AFi specified for its professional look with the WLF. There's another thread where some people say that their clients don't care what camera they use. Looks like Chanel still do...
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2012, 02:38:58 am »

Gidday,

Looks like its only good for is a prop in a TVC to me Yair.

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2012, 03:27:51 am »

Gidday,

Looks like its only good for is a prop in a TVC to me Yair.

Cheers

Simon

You can say the same about the Ducati SS, the Profoto lights and maybe even KN:-)
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

DanielStone

« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2012, 03:37:18 am »

they also used a Hasselblad 503CW, see the frame-grab below:

thought that the leather during the "looking down through the viewfinder" shot looked like my Hasselblad, guess I was right ;)

not that it matters, its just an ad to sell smelly stuff to rich women, or women who want to think they're rich cuz they use Chanel...

-Dan

amsp

« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2012, 04:01:30 am »

Thank heavens they got rid of that fugly blue color.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2012, 10:08:38 am »

The very first ones were definitely blue/green, but the later ones were not. Neither of mine look blue at all - more of a grey than anything. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 12:24:41 pm by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2012, 12:02:39 pm »

The brief had an AFi specified for its professional look with the WLF. There's another thread where some people say that their clients don't care what camera they use. Looks like Chanel still do...

I really enjoy my Hy6. A good model in studio and some music really makes it a blast and as sexy to use as the ad makes it appear. Simply lovely to use, but in end only a tool, albeit magnificent one for making images. The Hy6 has made me focus on images instead of gear itself, the 6x6 WLF and the 80MP Leaf in C1 simply completes the chain.  ;D

Yair, any more info on the Hy6 that you can share???

Best regards,
Anders

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2012, 12:19:09 pm »

I'm told by Reiner that even the oldest bodies - still with the V2xx firmware can be updated to the Mod 2.    The price to update bodies with v3.1 is about 350 euro and the upgrade cost for the older  bodies with with v2.xx firmware will be approx. 740 euro since they need more hardware updates.  

I think it's simply awesome that DHW is offering the update service.   I don't know of any other brand that is doing this - most only want to sell you the new one.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 12:20:51 pm by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

JV

« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2012, 12:23:39 pm »

Eric, do you have any information on how much a new body would be?  Thanks, Joris.

Rune Werner Molnes

• http://www.runemolnes.com
Hy6 improvements
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2012, 12:36:38 pm »

Here's some nice improvements I'd personally like to see:

- Weather sealing (!)
- Better cold weather performance. (No error messages due to use in low temperatures).
- Overall more robust camera body, with control wheels that don't fail due to normal use.
- That 35mm lens would be nice, if it has filter threads and performs better in terms of overall sharpness than the current 40mm
- The ability to shim the DB for perfect alignment of sensor to the lens focal plane. (Like Alpa).
- Better battery capacity and battery performance in cold weather.
- More alternatives when it comes to choice of dedicated focusing screens.  (Like rule of thirds grid, with central cross split and micro-prism ring etc).
- A DB to attach with live- view focusing performing close to that of the Canon 5D MkII or similar ;)
- Full backward compatibility with older backs such as my AFi7 DB.

Rune Molnes

bcooter

« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2012, 02:05:55 pm »

Thank heavens they got rid of that fugly blue color.

Without any of us knowing the complete specifics of how the Rolleiflex and the new Hasselblad work in everyday use, you have to admire the companies for going forward.

The thing that has always bewildered me about the HY6 is the Rollei "looking" version was always present from the day the camera was announced, but instead Leaf and Sinar went with that Grey or Grey/Blue look and regardless of what anyone says, looks matter.

And as I said I admire the moving forward thought, but to put it in perspective yesterday, I shot 3/4 of the day with my Contax(s) and digital backs, then the remainder of the day with the RED 1's and Scarlet.

With the Contax I used the waist level finder, then with a prism the right angle grip and everything worked as planned, no disconnects (one dead battery) though no real issues, sharp images, etc. etc.

Would I like a little more accurate and multiple point autofocus . . . yes and I would also like a few other incremental changes, but overall if I decided I just had to have the new Rollei or the Hasselblad, what is it going to cost me to buy two bodies, two backs and an assortment of lenses and will I ever recover those costs in a 5d3, Handicam world?  Granted if I owned the lens set for either of these cameras and the digital backs that fit on the Rolleiflex I might bite. 

Don't misunderstand I'm not downplaying the efforts by either of these two companies and the new cameras look good, have improvements and if it was 2005 in the overheated, throw the budget out the window world, I and a lot of others would probably be putting down deposits for one of these two cameras and lens sets.

Today . . . with everything we are required to do in a day, I wonder that in the world of imagery for commerce, no person is immune from the financial and time pressures (both are kind of the same).  I was talking to the AD yesterday, (one I like very much) and she commented on how fast we all have to work and the limitation of time involved.  What we use to do in a three day shoot we do in a day.  How many projects she handles from start to finish that overlap due to less support help is an average 14 hour day for her and most of the people she works with.  She wants the best imagery she can get and if a camera helps she's all for it, though most of all she wants the shot list complete, on time, on delivery, no additional charges.

Knowing this,  I have to ask are these the cameras for todays time?

I hope so.

IMO

BC

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2012, 05:28:45 pm »

Bcooter
People who love a camera should just stick with it - once you know a camera well enough to operate it without thinking about it, you can concentrate on the image which is what counts anyhow.   That said you must be curious about the Hy6 at least enough to visit this thread, so should you want a break, try a Hy6 for yourself with the WLF or 45 deg prism.   YMMV, but I like it much better than the contax (but I didn't have the WLF) and more than my DSLR's.  There are times when like your contax, it simply doesn't make sense and I use my Canon 5dii.
Rolleiflex USA

DeckardTrinity

« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2012, 07:02:25 pm »

Now for the big question - will the 6060 back be offered in black as well? :)

I'd been holding off getting a second Hy6 body until I knew whether or not Leaf would be continuing support with their Credo backs. Now that that question has been answered, it's a safe bet I'll be opting for the mod 2 as my primary, and will probably send in my existing Hy6 to upgrade as well. Time to prepare end of year budget.  :D

FredBGG

« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2012, 10:45:12 pm »

But they made bloody sure that the cameras logo was not on camera.... ;)

Also... almost sacrelage to paint the Ducati like that.....  Raced one of those gems a while ago on Lake Mirage Dry Lake Bed.

More like this one...

A gem from the 70s

But personally I enjoyed the Morimi Tre E Mezzo more

Should be playing with this one at Lake Mirage soon... that's if my friends can get me out of the surf... all work recently finished

« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 11:20:34 pm by FredBGG »

Lacunapratum

« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2012, 11:46:47 pm »

How relevant. 

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2012, 11:53:50 pm »

How relevant. 

Comparing the Hy6 to stylish italian racing motorcycles isn't so far off as one might first think.   :D
Rolleiflex USA

Lacunapratum

« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2012, 01:31:21 am »

Well, agreed. 

jeanlucco

« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2012, 02:42:27 am »

Hi guys, what about our loved Leaf Afi? Would it be possible to get the update mod.2 too?
Nice to know in advance for the budget  ;D

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2012, 03:40:59 pm »

JeanLuc
do you mean matching the outside color scheme?  Or compatibility for the digital back to work with the camera?   I have heard that DHW is committed to keeping the same communications protocol and mount so there should be no probs with the AFi or Credo or other backs.
Rolleiflex USA

Lacunapratum

« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2012, 11:20:29 pm »

The 35mm Flektogon is still mentioned in the most recent pdf catalogue posted on their new web site.  Perhaps the resolution of legal issues has given the company a new sense of optimism? 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up