Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Aussies are gonna love this one.  (Read 6392 times)

Ray

Re: The Aussies are gonna love this one.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 12:48:17 am »

As an Aussie, I don't love that.

I'll respond to that scatty and scurrilous satire with the following.

I should mention first that I am an ex-POM. A POM is a Prisoner Of Mother england, although there are other unsubstantiated derivations of this word, including pomegranate.

However, whatever the true derivation of this word, as an ex-POM (meaning no longer a prisoner and therefore totally free), I was surprised to discover some years ago that Alexander Fleming, whom I had assumed was the inventor of penicillin as a result of my English upbringing, was in fact not the actual inventor. He was merely the scientist who discovered the antibiotic effect of mould in a dish.

The true inventor of penicillin, the antibiotic injection responsible for saving millions of lives, was an Australian by the name of Howard Florey. Of course they both shared the Nobel Prize. Without Fleming's discovery, Florey would not have been able to produce the practical application.

Other significant discoveries and inventions by Australians include the following:

1. Black box flight recorder
2. Electronic pacemaker
3. Google Maps
4. Polymer bank notes
5. Electric drill
6. Wi-fi technology
7. The Fridge, in 1854.

There are lots of other, perhaps less sexy inventions, which you can discover for yourselves, but last and perhaps not least, is the invention of the cardboard carton for storing 4 or 5 liters of wine.

A 4 liter carton of wine equates to 5 & 1/3 bottles. The cost of the paper carton and plastic bag within, is less expensive and more environmentally friendly than 5 glass bottles.

Here's a link to a few Aussie inventions.

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/journal/world-changing-aussie-inventions.htm

Farmer

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 01:51:09 am »

Ah, don't worry about it too much, Ray.  At least we got through the GFC without going into recession and we can actually recall the last time the federal government ran a surplus.
Phil Brown

Ray

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 03:39:48 am »

Ah, don't worry about it too much, Ray.  At least we got through the GFC without going into recession and we can actually recall the last time the federal government ran a surplus.

Sure! But we need to be smart and not just an open mine for China. We should not forget our heritage of fantastic inventions. Let's build upon it.

Colorado David

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 03:50:59 pm »

7. The Fridge, in 1854.

We know for sure the fridge was invented by Lucas, which is why Brits drink warm beer. ;D

Farmer

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 07:16:04 pm »

It's not that they drink it warm - they drink it at room temperature which is fine over there, not so good over here :-)

I've never found the beer too warm in the UK - different styles need different temperatures and there's no shortage of excellent drops to be drunk.
Phil Brown

MrSmith

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 04:16:32 pm »

lets not forget the cultural icons Paul Hogan and Skippy.

Farmer

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 06:28:23 pm »

Dame Edna, Kylie Mole, Con the Fruiterer? ;-)
Phil Brown

mediumcool

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 12:02:55 pm »

Looks like Tasmania has invaded part of Canada.

And my state South Australia (unmarked, along with its capital Adelaide) has been BLOODY-WELL LEFT OUT, AGAIN!

THAT IS THE PROBLEM. THERE’S POLLUTED SYDNEY; THERE’S PONCY MELBOURNE, AND WAY-OUT-OF-TOWN PERTH, AND AS FOR BRISBANE …

South Australia don’t get no respect!  >:(
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

Ray

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 05:18:37 am »

lets not forget the cultural icons Paul Hogan and Skippy.

Nor the world-class photographers:

1. Ken Duncan - if you aren't familiar with the name, you've probably already seen this photographer's work, at least that is if you've seen the Mel Gibson movie ""Passion of the Christ,"" in which Duncan produced all of the still scenes. Aside from this Hollywood hit, this Australian photographer is best known for his awe-inspiring panoramic shots. Browse through his gallery of unique landscape photographs at http://www.kenduncan.com/index.php/gallery.

2. Max Dupain - the late Australian photographer Max Dupain revolutionized black and white photography from the 1930s to the 1980s. Dupain loved his native country of Australia, and devoted his life's work to capturing its beauty, from its beaches to its cityscapes. Collectors love his iconic work because of the magnificent tones he uses, in addition to the intense Australian light.

3. Peter Dombrovskis - in 2003, Dombrovskis became the first Australian photographer to be inducted into the International Photography Hall of Fame, located in Oklahoma City, United States of America. In 1996, Dombrovskis passed away doing what he loved, photographing his beloved Tasmania. Dombrovskis will be best remembered for his Tasmanian wilderness photos, which have proved instrumental in the conservation of these areas. Dombrovskis' archives may be viewed in the Australian National Library.

4. Frank Hurley - Hurley remains one of a few Australian photographers to achieve international fame, serving as an official photographer during both World Wars. Hurley had an adventurous spirit, and was never shy to take whatever risks necessary to obtain the best shot -- he one time placed himself in front of an oncoming train, just so he could capture it on film!

5. Geoff Murray - born in Southern Tasmania, Murry, like Dombrovskis, is best known for his Tasmanian wilderness and landscape photography. Murray's father was a wedding photographer, who passed his love for the art form onto his son. His biggest artistic influence however, was the late great Peter Dombrovskis.

6. David Moore - Moore briefly worked with Max Dupain before his career in photojournalism took off. His brilliant work has appeared in every publication from the The New York Times to Time Magazine. During his lifetime, Moore played a central role in the development of artistic photography.

7. Bill Henson - one of the greatest contemporary Australian photographers of the moment, Henson's work can be described as painterly. I say ""painterly"" because of the way Henson employs the visual effects achieved by paint in his photography, including such techniques as chiaroscuro, and contrasting light and dark tones.

8. Rob Gray - another great Australian wilderness photographer to check out is Rob Gray. Gray retired from a successful 20-year career in the IT business to hit the road in a motor home, lens in hand.

Nor the world-famous painters: Arthur Streeton, Frederick McCubbin, Sidney Nolan, Tom Roberts, Normal Lindsay, Russell Drysdale.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 05:25:18 am by Ray »

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 07:19:49 am »

...and another painter ray.....I LOVE Fred Williams. A truly wonderful Australian painter of the Australian Landscape!

Julie

mediumcool

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 07:31:25 am »

I LOVE Fred Williams.

+1.

In Adelaide the Festival Theatre has some Williamses, as does our small but perfectly-formed Art Gallery.

stamper

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 04:33:19 am »

Ray I didn't see your name in the list of great photographers despite the fact that you have told the forum members how good you are, time and again ;D

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 05:02:56 am »

Ray I didn't see your name in the list of great photographers despite the fact that you have told the forum members how good you are, time and again ;D

Oddly, even though I'm not Australian and haven't even been there (a cousin did go, spending some time in Perth whilst gainfully employed (?) on the Ark Royal; another cousin keeps coming and going from the country over the past forty years or so because she can't decide where she wants to live and which she dislikes least, Scotland or Australia), I'm surprised that I didn't get a mention. After all, my basis is sound: I haven't heard of any of those people and so if they haven't heard of me, it shouldn't matter. Oh - Hurley rings a bell, but maybe it's just that girl who wore the Versace dress with the safety pins.

Life's so unfair!

;-)

Rob C

mediumcool

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 06:09:26 am »

Australia has had the benefit of a number of migrant photographers: Henry Talbot, Wolfgang Sievers, Helmut Newton and Lewis Morley among them. Look up Lewis Morley Christine Keeler and you will find a famous portrait!

mediumcool

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 06:13:36 am »

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 10:25:10 am »

Australia has had the benefit of a number of migrant photographers: Henry Talbot, Wolfgang Sievers, Helmut Newton and Lewis Morley among them. Look up Lewis Morley Christine Keeler and you will find a famous portrait!

Didn't do much for Newton: he left as soon as he could and found as little joy in the UK; it took Paris to make it happen.

The Keeler shot was another famous 'end of the roll' thing; says a lot for the rest of the tribe when you consider the number of rip-offs it spawned, even if it did sell a few chairs to a few studios.

Another famous rip-off was the David Hemmings-astride-Verushka number from Blow Up: guilty myself, but lost the negs or trannies, or whatever the hell they were, but the act of plagiarism was done with both parties fully aware! In fact, that was the very reason for doing the shots: playing the fame game and having a giggle. You could do that with photography once upon a time; giggle, I mean. As Newton told Jeannie Becker on Fashion TV (Toronto) some years ago: it's all become so serious now, there's so much money involved in everything...

Rob C

mediumcool

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 10:34:18 am »

The Keeler shot was another famous 'end of the roll' thing; says a lot for the rest of the tribe when you consider the number of rip-offs it spawned, even if it did sell a few chairs to a few studios.

Rob C

In the olden days, much fewer exposures were shot for obvious reasons, and the fact that it was the last frame that was the keeper … This has happened to me. The thing I didn’t know about the shoot is that the chair was a rip-off; distinguished from the original by the hole.
Pages: [1]   Go Up