Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding a polarizer to a Lee Filter Holder  (Read 12025 times)

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
Adding a polarizer to a Lee Filter Holder
« on: July 17, 2012, 11:10:00 am »

I'm using a Lee filter holder on my Canon 24TSE to hold a 4x5 Grad ND. I'm finding that I wish I also had a polarizer that I could stack with the GND. Is this the correct accessory for me?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/218398-REG/LEE_Filters_FP105_Accessory_Front_Thread_Adapter.html
This thing somehow mounts to the front of the Lee holder and allows a big (105mm) round polarizer to rotate, correct?

Then I would buy one of these, right?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Circular+Sizes_105mm&ci=115&N=4277997899+4294955260

Is this going to work? I'm assuming that I'll want a "thin" or "slim" CP to reduce vignetting. Any advice is welcome! I'm shooting interiors with this stuff. I did some searching on this forum but didn't see much good, recent discussion on this; if I missed a relevant thread please let me know.

Jan Morales

• Jan Morales Photography
Re: Adding a polarizer to a Lee Filter Holder
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 01:15:50 pm »

That adapter ring is exactly the one I bought. I also bought the Lee circular polarizer (B&H # LECP105) which works great, although I imagine any 105mm filter will work. When I put the adapter ring on I left the filter holder with two filter slots instead of three.

I used the Lee filter on the 24mm TS-E and I don't recall any vignetting problem with it despite how thick it is, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a problem on wider lenses.

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 02:10:41 pm »

Thanks, Jan. Exactly what I was looking for.

Sheldon N

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 02:52:25 pm »

If you're a DIY kind of person, there's another option.

Just buy a regular slim 82mm polarizing filter for your 24 TS-E, and then do a modification to the lens hood and a Lee adapter ring so that the adapter uses the bayonet hood mount rather than screwing into the front of the lens.  Requires a bit of work with a dremmel tool and some epoxy to join the hood and adapter ring, but it works really slick in operation.

Here's what it looks like with the 16-35 II and a polarizer.

Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

Marlyn

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 06:03:22 pm »

Also try the 4x4 Square Polarizer and drop it in a slot.  Works very well.

Regards

Mark

Sheldon N

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 10:06:45 am »

Also try the 4x4 Square Polarizer and drop it in a slot.  Works very well.

Regards

Mark

Only if you're not trying to combine it with an ND graduated filter.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

Marlyn

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 02:24:13 pm »

I tend to find if I want a polarizer, I want it on max setting anyway,  and any slight turning of the ND doesn't make that much difference to the shot.  I know some adjust the polarization a lot, and occasionally I need to do same.  For the odd times that this is the case though, such as messing with reflections,  I'm generally not also using a Grad ND.

I thought the same when I got it that it would be a problem, and to that end I have a second holder and the joiner so I can rotate one without the other.  (I also have the 105mm polarizer).
Thing is, in practice.  It never got used, so I dropped that config.

Personally I prefer being able to quickly add/remove the polarizer, vs having to screw/unscrew it.

The main two filters that  I use a lot are a single grade and the Bigstopper,  plus sometimes a VariND as well.

Regards

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up