Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to tell who makes the LCD panel on your Macintosh.  (Read 1466 times)

mediumcool

How to tell who makes the LCD panel on your Macintosh.
« on: July 17, 2012, 10:53:06 am »

Open Terminal.app

Paste * ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6 * (omit asterisks)

Type return

You should get something like this returned:

LM215WF3-SLA1
Color LCD
imac:~ username$

Search online for the text in the first line (LM215WF3-SLA1 in my case) and find out that it is an LG panel (with lots more information besides).

Search result for my 21.5 iMac.

HTH.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 10:58:22 am by mediumcool »
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

elolaugesen

Re: How to tell who makes the LCD panel on your Macintosh.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 02:50:40 pm »

thank you   

this proved once again that macbook pro lcd's(at least the older ones) are only 6bit 262k colours and cannot be used for colour critical work...

while I knew this it was nice to see the actual specs and verify it.

cheers elo

mediumcool

Re: How to tell who makes the LCD panel on your Macintosh.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 10:45:10 pm »

this proved once again that macbook pro lcd's (at least the older ones) are only 6bit 262k colours and cannot be used for colour critical work...
while I knew this it was nice to see the actual specs and verify it.

I have a 13" MBP 2.4 that is getting a bit ancient (just about to put two SSDs in it) and have known from day one that it ain’t IPS. While I can calibrate it quite well, this is moot because of the rapid brightness/contrast changes that occur when you move your head vertically. I rely on the histogram and specific RGB readings to get somewhere near the desired result. The big thing for me about the Retina MBP is not the resolution per se (nice though that is) but the fact it has an IPS panel. Pure lust, but I’ll wait until next year, and use the iMac for finishing off colour balancing until then (the MBP gets close enough in the field for this).
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool
Pages: [1]   Go Up