Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gitzo 4552GTS tripods on Ebay, why over $100(or more) less than retail @ B+H?  (Read 3828 times)

DanielStone

have a quick question:

I've been considering selling my Studex Ser 5 aluminum, and my smaller aluminum gitzo to get a newer 4552GTS(Giant, 7.9' max height) tripod to replace the both:

http://www.gitzo.us/product/0/GT4552GTS/_/SYSTEMATIC_Series_4_carbon_tripod%2C_giant_5-section%2C_overhead

Now, the B+H site lists this @$1249 shipped, these sellers on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Gitzo-Series-4-6X-GT4552GTS-Tripod-/114216724?rt=nc&_dmpt=US_Tripods&_pcategid=30093&_pcatid=772&_pdpal=1&_trksid=p5360.c0.m2000019

are listing it for ~$100 less, maybe even less if they were to take my offer.

So... would you surmise these sellers in Korea are to be trusted? Are these real gitzo-made products? Those chinese-knockoffs are getting better by the day, I don't want to get burned on a major splurge like this...

I mean, it's "only" $100 or so difference to you dentist/doctor/rich wanker type folk, but to a 24yr old(me), $100 can be a good bit o' dough to spend on more film ;). All kidding aside, just wanted to get some opinione's before doing the "sell this, buy this" dance...

I'm planning on using the 4552GTS for everything from a 35mm Nikon F5/D3 to my 8X10 Kodak Master camera for when I need to scratch my LF itch... One tripod for everything...

On a 2nd note, I'm really diggin this new "quick release" system for the top-plates, I can keep my ballhead on one, and my pan/tilt 5-series gitzo on another!

thanks

Dan

p.s. if anyone could give me a quickie review on the 4552(GTS only, I want the height for when needed, I'm 6'5")... that'd be mucho appreciado!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:33:39 pm by DanielStone »

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com

I can't answer your question about the seller, but I will ask you another question:

You wouldn't use one camera to shoot everything, so why use one tripod for everything? Any tripod large enough to firmly support an 8x10 camera is ridiculously overpowered for shooting 35mm, and vice versa. Speaking from some experience, I just would end up not carrying the tripod much of the time given the size and weight. (Though as giant tripods go, this one is almost less than huge.)

(I feel okay asking since you started by saying you were "considering" this.)

Oh, and I'm not a doctor nor a dentist. If only I were rich....
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 10:06:39 pm by k bennett »
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Peter McLennan

I have one of those "Giant" Gitzos.  I love it.  When you factor in lenses, batteries, bodies and all the other stuff we tend to carry, the difference in weight between the Big Gitzo and a smaller one is not that much.  When you need a tripod, you need a really good one.  The long legs make a huge difference when setting up in uneven terrain, among many other advantages.

degrub

Well, the terms of the warranty might influence your decision of price versus cost of shipping -
from Gitzo's website for US warranty:
"To obtain warranty service, the purchaser should return the product or the defective part(s), carefully packed and with proof of purchase date to the Gitzo distributor in the country of purchase or to the shop/store where the product was purchased. All shipping expenses are the purchaser's responsibility."

http://www.gitzo.us/service/warranty+info/Warranty+Info/3661051

Also, you might want to check with Gitzo if the warranty is international or country specific and if the terms are different for Korea.

stevesanacore

I've had many Gitzo's and loved them. Are you sure the new Series 4 CF is going to be as strong and stable as your old Series 5 was for large cameras? I've been thinking of going with a Series 5 CF but having a hard time justifying it $$$. I also have a very small CF Gitzo for when I backpack with my DSLRs and it's excellent. I can't imagine using only one tripod for everything. I would think any tripod large enough for 8x10 work is too big to carry around on your backpack. If you always work out of a car, then I guess it won't be a big deal.

I wish Induro would make a larger version of their large CF model. It's not a Gitzo but has been holding up very well for years now under very tough conditions.

As far as buying on ebay, I would go with B&H for sure as that extra $100 will be well spent if you receive a defective unit or with any other problems you may have.
We don't know what we don't know.

DanielStone

well I checked one out today in person, boy is the 4552gts a nice tripod!

I wish the top-plate was the same size as the 5-series though, so if I needed/wanted to use the crank column, it'd be nice to be able to hold onto it.

For now I'll continue to use the studex giant(no crank column, just the top plate w/ a pan/tilt head) until I've saved my pennies for it, hopefully by the time the no-tax sale rolls around in late august/early sept. That's if its still there :)

-Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up