Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stolen in Dallas  (Read 2843 times)

thewanderer

Stolen in Dallas
« on: July 14, 2012, 06:35:28 pm »

i was recently struck by car thieves in the dallas area, didn't take just the stuff, took the whole f250, !   so if you have thoughts on were to put out, a lost and found digital ad somewhere, let me know,, or if you hear of a deal on something like the following in the dallas area,,

1dsIII , t2i 100-400 85-1.8 12-24  18-55 2x 1.4x convertors, CU lens, extension tubes, boots, hats, lifes little things in general, thanks fully i left took the 600 in,,and the killer of them all, 5 hard drives, with bu of bu on them for 12 years,,I know, but i travel by car A Lot and am rarely home, so i keep almost everything with me,

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
Re: Stolen in Dallas
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 07:30:24 pm »

Wanderer, this is beyond terrible. I hope all your gear is insured. And that these are not the only BU disks you have. We all must have multiple backups in several different places. Good think unlimited cloud storage is getting so cheap. There used to be a stolen gear registry at www.photo.net, not sure if it is still there. Best of luck to you for recovering all.
Bob
 ht

dreed

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 09:53:02 pm »

1dsIII , t2i

For the cameras, you may simply have to wait for someone else to acquire them and upload pictures to the internet. If the EXIF doesn't get scrubbed then your serial numbers will be present. Whilst this is a nasty experience, I hope your insurance will cover replacing it all.

thewanderer

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 12:06:16 am »

are you saying the SN can be taken from the photograph??   if that is true, i can at least find that and submit to DPD..

I have insurance on the truck and the equipment, but the photographs i am afraid are in some dumpster in a druggies neighborhood...,,but i would really like to find the bastards, press charges, an have them pay for the headaches that a loss like this causes from the filing of a claim to both, the cost of replacing equipment and a paid off truck an on and on..

francois

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 07:36:43 am »

are you saying the SN can be taken from the photograph??   if that is true, i can at least find that and submit to DPD..

Yes, your camera's serial number is embedded in the photos. You could also have had added your name to the metadata of your files via the Canon software (cannot remember the name at the moment - something like EOS Utility).
Francois

Gary Brown

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 07:54:19 am »

are you saying the SN can be taken from the photograph??

See, e.g., this one mentioned on Photography Blog: Stolen Camera Finder. I think there are other, similar services as well.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 01:26:35 am »

The same thing happened to a colleague a few years back. No insurance for him, but he was lucky. The lazy SOBs listed his stuff shortly after the heist on Craig's list. He recovered most and the perps landed at the gray bar inn. Start watching for your stuff on CL and hope for the best.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up