Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another multiple Lightroom Catalog Question  (Read 5298 times)

malam

Another multiple Lightroom Catalog Question
« on: July 14, 2012, 03:27:03 pm »

I am rebuilding my computer and have the following setup:

Drive 1 (SSD) :   Windows 7, CS6 and LR4
Drive 2 (SSD) :   Current Photos (Projects)
Drive 3 (HDD) :  Photos Library

I would like to keep my current projects on Drive 2 to take advantage of the speed of SSD, but would later transfer the photos
to the main Photos Library on the HDD (Drive 3).  I am not sure how LR will handle the two Catalog Files - "Current Project's" Catalog, and the main "Photos Library" Catalog.

If I export the current photos to the main library, will the two catalogs keep track, or will I mess things up ?  Or is there a better way to do what I am trying to achieve ?

Thanks.

Tony Jay

Re: Another multiple Lightroom Catalog Question
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 08:21:31 pm »

My information is that an SSD is very helpful in speeding up the performance of software but the benefits of an SSD to store images are overrated.
In my humble opinion unless a very specific reason is present one is far better off using a single catalogue and using a good keywording system to allow using smart collections which are an exceptionally powerful way of organizing ones images.

This link may be helpful:

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/blog/will-an-ssd-improve-adobe-lightroom-performance/

Regards

Tony Jay

aduke

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 12:44:13 am »

I  use regular collections to keep track of current projects. They all live inside a collection set  called "ToDo". When the project has been completed, the collection is moved to into the completed projects sections

Alan

malam

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 08:27:50 pm »

Thanks Tony and Aduke.

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 01:47:49 pm »

Put the catalog on the SSD (drive 2, not system, preferably), and keep it there.
If you want to and got some spare room, you can try to import your images on the SSD, and then, move them (from within LR of course!) to the HDD when you're done editing and processing.
As the others, I wouldnt wait for much a difference between the 2, but you can try for yourself.

And don't use multiple catalogs until you got a real good reason to (ie content you do not want to mix at any cost - eg kids portraiture as Dr Jekyll's daywork and lingerie as Mr Hyde's extra ;D , or work for clients that are competing each other...).
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery
Pages: [1]   Go Up